PDA

View Full Version : You bet you have two packages for me

Darrell KSR
12-31-2016, 09:57 PM
I live in the county, technically, so I can legally shoot guns in my backyard. But my neighbors would get kinda nervous if I do, so I've limited it to shooting my Crosman 2260SE .22 pellet rifle.

Had a visit from two raccoons two days ago. Literally was on my back deck, and dang things come down from the roof of my house, where they have torn a hole in my soffit and scurried into the attic. They were out, and about 10 feet away from me, but at an awkward angle, upstairs, and toward my neighbor's house. All of that is by way of explaining how I managed to miss throwing a grill brush at them, and numerous ceramic briquettes. I finally got fed up, hauled off and said I didn't care if I hit the flood light, and guess what?

I hit the floodlamp. It exploded, throwing glass shards everywhere, and the coons decided to run.

I decided the next day that I wasn't sure if my pellet rifle was stout enough - these were big coons, probably 25 pounds each. Shooting a 14.3 grain pellet at 600 fps may not be enough.

So I looked around and saw my .22 Mark I Ruger and thought that I'd get some subsonic ammo and make a good neighbor in case I needed it for pest eradication. Got some 1070 fps subsonic 40 grain ammo yesterday. Think that's 90 FPE and should be sufficient with well placed shots if needed.

Came inside my house, loaded a magazine and told my wife I was going to the backyard to try it out during the daytime. I went around to the front door and started to open it, intending to walk around to the back yard.

I open the door with the pistol in my hand, and on the doorstep is...

The UPS man. He looks at me, and tells me he has two packages for me. I say, "I bet you do," and he doesn't get my sense of humor. But he leaves the packages on the doorstep, and slowly walks away.

I figure I've done my damage already, so I just walk around to the backyard, and find some safe place to shoot down at the ground at a natural target.

I shoot.

It was much louder than I expected. While technically not breaking the sound barrier, it was still loud enough for a temporary ringing in my ear, and loud enough to cause a UPS truck to burn rubber screeching out from in front of my house.

I assume he had an interesting story to tell his supervisor later. I'm just glad that I didn't get a visit from an upset neighbor or even a deputy.

Buddy of mine told me I needed a suppressor, but I'm not doing anything wrong, and for a $200 tax + cost of the suppressor for my limited use, I'll just use what I have. With earplugs. And beg forgiveness if I upset a neighbor.

blueboss
01-01-2017, 10:06 AM
Great story...

My neighbor has had repeated visits from varmints visiting his attic. He bought some cage traps and catches them and then relocates them several miles away down by the river. He is up to four coons, two opossums, and a squirrel. I find this odd that they keep singling out his house and attic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kingcat
01-01-2017, 10:19 AM
Donna and I got a kick out of this story D.

suncat05
01-01-2017, 11:59 AM
LOL! Great story, Darrell! :sHa_dielaughing:

dan_bgblue
01-01-2017, 12:06 PM
Only raccoons could cause such havoc