PDA

View Full Version : Biggest loss of 2016

Doc
12-31-2016, 08:17 PM
We lost many famous people last year. Who will go down as the biggest loss of the year?

Doc
12-31-2016, 08:22 PM
Also, explain your choice

Doc
12-31-2016, 08:32 PM
1) you got Prince who is one of the music pioneers of my generation. He made black music hip. And as far as talent goes, he is a savant.

2) I'm no Ali fan. He brought trash talk to mainstream and I despise trash talk. Also not a fan of folks who find fault in our country but do respect those who speak their minds

3) she wore an iron bikini and is in every 70's era teenage males spank bank

4) one of the most innovative artists out there. Both music and fashion were where he made his mark. He and Prince overlap in many ways, just that Bowie did it for a much longer period

5) Founding member of one of the greatest bands of all time. Enough said.

I can't pick one

dan_bgblue
12-31-2016, 09:14 PM
Antonin Scalia. Not on your list though

Doc
12-31-2016, 09:32 PM

Yep, definitely should be on there

CitizenBBN
12-31-2016, 09:58 PM

Scalia isn't on any celebrity list but absolutely the biggest loss. Celebrity is interesting but in the end their influence isn't that great w a few exceptions. Prince and Ali both were, and fisher is iconic, but scalia made law.

Darrell KSR
12-31-2016, 10:00 PM
Huge list, Doc.

My wife just told me "Father Mulcahey" died today, too. He's nowhere near your list, but just one more passing before 2017 arrives.

Krank
12-31-2016, 10:04 PM
Huge list, Doc.

My wife just told me "Father Mulcahey" died today, too. He's nowhere near your list, but just one more passing before 2017 arrives.

William Christopher.

Darrell KSR
12-31-2016, 10:07 PM
William Christopher.
Thanks, Krank. Couldn't remember his name.

kingcat
12-31-2016, 10:22 PM
Merle Haggard is quite a huge loss for me. My life growing up was being around country music, as my Dad was a professional picker. I followed in his footsteps and Merle was seemingly always near the top of musical entertainment. Songs like, Today I started loving you, Mama tried, Silver Wings, Think I'll just stay here and drink, Okie from Muskogee, and many, many more are near anthems in the places I hung out throughout my llife here in Kentucky.

I will have to put the loss of Hag far above any of the others.

I did vote for Ali in the poll because I believe he was instrumental as an influence in American culture. And was such in multiple ways through the turbulent and eventful 60's, 70's and 80's...for better or worse

badrose
12-31-2016, 11:52 PM
I voted for Glenn Frye because he'd remained his relevancy and a more sudden loss. The Eagles' music were a staple in the repertoire of our road trips of our youth of which I have fond memories.

As far as social impact, Ali is head and shoulders above the others. Whether you agreed with him or not, he made you think.

Our generation has had a treasure of cultural blessings that make so much of the current seem like plastic, soulless.

Darrell KSR
01-01-2017, 12:04 AM
No more losses in 2016.

Doc
01-01-2017, 07:05 AM
Here is a fairly comprehensive list:

Fidel Castro, John Glenn, Pat Summit, Gordie Howie, Morley Safer, Abe Vigoda, Ron Glass (will partner them-lol), Patty Duke (and her identical cousin), Prince, George Micheal, Debbie Reynolds, Carrie Fisher, David Bowie, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Florence Henderson/Carol Brady, Arnold Palmer, Gene Wilder, Gary Shandling, Nancy Reagan, Glenn Frey, Antonin Scalia, Merle Haggard, Dan Haggerty/Grizzly Adams, Janet Reno, William Christopher, Alan Rickman and Muhammed Ali.

bigsky
01-02-2017, 05:26 PM
Antonin Scalia. Not on your list though Good call

bigsky
01-02-2017, 05:30 PM
Mr & Mrs Krauss, August 6, 23 2016. Mother got a full half page obit news story in the Richmond Times Dispatch, not sure if that made her "famous". http://www.richmond.com/obituaries/featured/article_20e4e472-d31b-5c82-b5f9-d5febd9745ad.html

suncat05
01-03-2017, 02:06 PM
Antonin Scalia, hands down the biggest loss in 2016. Others contributed a lot, absolutely, but none of them come anywhere close to comparing to Scalia.

I still have suspicions concerning the circumstances around his death and what was and wasn't done with regards to how all of that was handled.