PDA

View Full Version : Ok-received a Peacock hand warmer for Christmas

Darrell KSR
12-31-2016, 05:25 PM
I researched and over researched and picked out this old timey hand warmer that I wanted. Fill with lighter fluid, light the burner, it creates a platinum catalytic chemical reaction and stays hot for 24 hours.

I figure that I will be outside for 3+ hours at a time in January through March in the cold, mostly at night. Ideal for what I want.

Now, here's the deal. Just fired it up, and it is working properly. The metal is so hot you can barely touch it. Certainly can't hold it. But they know that, so it comes with a flannel pouch to put it in. Perfect.

Here's the deal. To me, it's now not hot enough. The temperature is right around 114° per my temperature gun. According to consumer tests that's about what it is supposed to be (around 112°).

To put it in perspective, the chemical disposable one time use bags are around 103°, or at least the best one. So it's doing what it is supposed to do. But I want it hotter, maybe 130ish.

Any suggestions? Make my own flannel bag, just thinner?

kingcat
12-31-2016, 05:32 PM
Some vinyl screen might work well. Not sure about the melting point

Darrell KSR
12-31-2016, 05:45 PM
Some vinyl screen might work well. Not sure about the melting point
Something to permanently place on it? That's a good idea.

dan_bgblue
12-31-2016, 06:05 PM
Now you have my curiosity up. Why do you need a hand warmer be that hot?

Darrell KSR
12-31-2016, 06:23 PM
Now you have my curiosity up. Why do you need a hand warmer be that hot?
To warm me. Put in pockets. Put in shirt pocket, pant pocket, or hoodie. Put in bed and let it warm covers before bed. A thousand things. Heck, to warm hands in office when they get cold.

Currently have it in a slightly too big velour bag that I think used to house a necklace or something. A little thinner than the flannel pouch. It's 141°. This feels about right to me.

kingcat
12-31-2016, 06:49 PM
Something to permanently place on it? That's a good idea.

It might be easy enough to lace it on the warmer with some spider wire fishing line or something. Or just sew a snug pouch

Darrell KSR
01-03-2017, 09:06 PM
I may try it in cold weather and see how it goes.

I filled it up and checked the temperature from time to time over a period of 22 hours. It was almost always over 110-115. At hour #22, it was 122°. I checked about six hours after that and it was cold, so somewhere between 22-28 hours it ran out. I'm guessing around 24 as advertised.

KeithKSR
01-05-2017, 02:33 PM
Get one of those cheap cotton handkerchief and wrap it in it. Walmart sells them for about a buck. If that is too thick use it single layered, it will have little heat loss through the thin cotton.

Darrell KSR
01-05-2017, 04:32 PM
Get one of those cheap cotton handkerchief and wrap it in it. Walmart sells them for about a buck. If that is too thick use it single layered, it will have little heat loss through the thin cotton.

I like that idea. Maybe a double layer, and put some velcro or something on it to make a pouch. I've got some of the cheap handkerchiefs at home anyway; I'll give one a try tomorrow and see.