PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get most of your "news" these days?

Darrell KSR
12-29-2016, 03:35 PM
I confess, my primary source for initial news these days is Twitter. I follow several different news sources on twitter (conservative, liberal, whatever) and that's my microwave introduction to news. I then follow links and stories for anything of interest.

TV? Not at all. Nothing on TV to follow for news for me.

Radio? I don't listen enough.

Newspaper? What's that?

I get a weekly Birmingham Business Journal for local business news; I occasionally pick up a Wall Street Journal (in the fall, I do it weekly because I have one provided at a school where I teach); otherwise, print is rare also.

I am NOT the most well-versed news guy. In fact, I find my knowledge woeful. It is a sad admission. My excuse is that I have a lot of things going on in my life, and that takes precedence right now, at least while I still have kids at home. I don't know how much that will change when they all fly the nest, but probably some.

KSRBEvans
12-29-2016, 04:02 PM
Yep, Twitter for me. It's probably a bunch of confirmation bias on my part, but I have a group of journalists and opinion writers I follow.

Other than that, I'll watch Special Report at 6 ET if I happen to be available during that time.

KSRdallen
12-29-2016, 05:26 PM
Twitter for me as well supplemented with some local news sites.

blueboss
12-29-2016, 09:28 PM
KSRs Barber Shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kingcat
12-29-2016, 10:54 PM
CNN news, and I avoid what I consider opinion based and agenda driven news outlets

CitizenBBN
12-30-2016, 12:06 AM
KSRs Barber Shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finest source on earth. :)

I check the Fox site, then CNN to see what Clinton thinks of it, lol, but I rarely watch TV. I'll catch a little local news and some fox once in a while but not often.

Is like to catch more local news.

Critter
12-30-2016, 09:09 AM
Basically Twitter, get what I want quickly in a neat little package. I don't think one can watch a TV News Network w/o opinion thrown into every story. I wished there were a TV news outlet that only told the news.

Kevin

ShoesSwayedBlue
12-30-2016, 10:51 AM
Basically Twitter, get what I want quickly in a neat little package. I don't think one can watch a TV News Network w/o opinion thrown into every story. I wished there were a TV news outlet that only told the news.

Kevin

It's not just the TV news that is slanted or spun. I've shown my children dozens of instances of headlines about the exact same event written by different people at different sites to gain the initial response the writer wanted.

From one headline reading 'Cops shoot fleeing man with no weapon in hand' on one site to the same occurrence being reported with the headline of 'armed man flees from police, shot after turning to confront officer'.

Same event. Guy runs after being suspected of being armed, turns to face officers with no gun but obvious malice and is shot. It seems like no one every delves deeper than an inch into the entire story and even if they do that initial visceral reaction to the headline that aligns with their own personal political bias, either way, leads them to read and remember the event in the way that the writer of that particularly slanted headline wanted them to.

The internet is a wonderful tool in many ways. But a large part of me truly and desperately misses the days of only a few news outlets who pretty much reported the same story in the same way. At least then 99% of us were either equally knowledgeable of or ignorant of the truth and could therefore draw our conclusions on policy from the same well.

Now though , whatever slant that supports your particular bias is available to justify and affirm that bias.

I have a cousin in Sacramento, a brilliant man who wrote a three inch book on computer systems which I understand exactly none of, and an equally brilliant friend that I've known all my life who is a tenured professor at a small liberal arts college in Pennsylvania specializing in cyber crime. They share the same sense of sardonic, caustic humor. They could obviously talk to one another about technology and policy at a level few others could ever reach. Both got lucky and married women who put up with their eccentricity and both adopted. They have so much in common., It would be fascinating to see them together.

And each is absolutely convinced that the other is entirely and completely foolish in their political beliefs, mostly due to their own biases against the information the other gets and how they integrate that information into their judgements on events.

I know that every generation fears for the survival of our democracy and I guess always has and will. But the automatic dismissal of 'news', even when it's been proven to be true, and the even sadder acceptance of 'news', even when it's later proven to be false, is killing our country. Both 'sides' suck and the string pullers on both sides are evil $%$^^&*s.

suncat05
12-30-2016, 01:48 PM
I look at several, to include NBC, CBS, CNN, Fox and NewsMax. I read Politico, Drudge, Washington Times, the Wall Street Journal and occasionally peek in at InfoWars, although I do find them to be way too far to the right many times. I really mix it up, because I want to see and hear what is being said from a lot of different sources.

kingcat
12-30-2016, 02:36 PM
It's not just the TV news that is slanted or spun. I've shown my children dozens of instances of headlines about the exact same event written by different people at different sites to gain the initial response the writer wanted.

From one headline reading 'Cops shoot fleeing man with no weapon in hand' on one site to the same occurrence being reported with the headline of 'armed man flees from police, shot after turning to confront officer'.

Same event. Guy runs after being suspected of being armed, turns to face officers with no gun but obvious malice and is shot. It seems like no one every delves deeper than an inch into the entire story and even if they do that initial visceral reaction to the headline that aligns with their own personal political bias, either way, leads them to read and remember the event in the way that the writer of that particularly slanted headline wanted them to.

The internet is a wonderful tool in many ways. But a large part of me truly and desperately misses the days of only a few news outlets who pretty much reported the same story in the same way. At least then 99% of us were either equally knowledgeable of or ignorant of the truth and could therefore draw our conclusions on policy from the same well.

Now though , whatever slant that supports your particular bias is available to justify and affirm that bias.

I have a cousin in Sacramento, a brilliant man who wrote a three inch book on computer systems which I understand exactly none of, and an equally brilliant friend that I've known all my life who is a tenured professor at a small liberal arts college in Pennsylvania specializing in cyber crime. They share the same sense of sardonic, caustic humor. They could obviously talk to one another about technology and policy at a level few others could ever reach. Both got lucky and married women who put up with their eccentricity and both adopted. They have so much in common., It would be fascinating to see them together.

And each is absolutely convinced that the other is entirely and completely foolish in their political beliefs, mostly due to their own biases against the information the other gets and how they integrate that information into their judgements on events.

I know that every generation fears for the survival of our democracy and I guess always has and will. But the automatic dismissal of 'news', even when it's been proven to be true, and the even sadder acceptance of 'news', even when it's later proven to be false, is killing our country. Both 'sides' suck and the string pullers on both sides are evil $%$^^&*s.

Awesome post

MickintheHam
01-02-2017, 06:44 AM
CNN news, and I avoid what I consider opinion based and agenda driven news outlets

You have to be kidding!

Doc
01-02-2017, 08:57 AM
Definitely not twitter for me. I dont even know my twitter account.

I'd have to say I get mine a couple sources
1) Fox News via Sirus radio. But I alway consider the SPIN, even when its "the no spin zone"
2) Fox News and Fox Business on TV
3) The Barber shop (not the actual barber shop)
4) CNN/MSNBC on TV but that's mostly when I need a good laugh

Doc
01-02-2017, 08:58 AM
You have to be kidding!

I eat Ice Cream and avoid high calorie cold dairy based deserts.

CGWildcat
01-02-2017, 12:16 PM
6021 I get my news from internet memes. :)

dan_bgblue
01-02-2017, 08:42 PM
Great pic Coastie. That is a graphic illustration and is spot on

badrose
01-03-2017, 07:30 PM
Drudge, Fox News.