PDA

View Full Version : New Tunnel/Bridge into IN from the Ville

Terminus
12-26-2016, 10:40 PM
I was home for Christmas in Louisville and took my mom to the Falls one day via the new tunnel and bridge that is an extension of the Gene Snyder and crosses 42, but doesn't connect. My first reaction was that the tunnel and bridge are very well done - they blasted a ton of rock to get that tunnel done. As an engineer I was impressed by the sheer magnitude of the undertaking.

I can't speak to the overall benefit of this additional route into IN in relation to the cost, but found it odd that the state would willingly incur the expense as opposed to going the much cheaper land route for the sole purpose of saving a historical residence that some folks believe they, not sure who they is but I assume City or State, overpaid for in the first place. I honestly don't know the details, but it was a debated topic amongst my local family and friends and I was curious as to any of your opinions, thoughts or just additional information if anyone has any insight or is willing to offer their viewpoint.

Catfan73
12-26-2016, 11:56 PM
I'm not positive, but I believe the state paid about $8 million for the estate, which is about 55 acres. It was the last and best roadblock for the bridge opponents and the foundation for historic preservation (or whatever it's called) refused to budge on its historic designation. So it was either go under it or find a different, much longer route.

We probably would have ended up with tolls anyway and the added cost of the tunnels just added a couple of decades to how long we'll have to pay--supposedly until 2053 but you know how that goes. I think it's funny how most of the people you hear complaining about the tunnels and the extra expense involved are often the same people that successfully blocked connecting 265 for years and years and are the reason we have the tunnels to begin with.

MickintheHam
12-27-2016, 07:08 AM
I was home for Christmas in Louisville and took my mom to the Falls one day via the new tunnel and bridge that is an extension of the Gene Snyder and crosses 42, but doesn't connect. My first reaction was that the tunnel and bridge are very well done - they blasted a ton of rock to get that tunnel done. As an engineer I was impressed by the sheer magnitude of the undertaking.

I can't speak to the overall benefit of this additional route into IN in relation to the cost, but found it odd that the state would willingly incur the expense as opposed to going the much cheaper land route for the sole purpose of saving a historical residence that some folks believe they, not sure who they is but I assume City or State, overpaid for in the first place. I honestly don't know the details, but it was a debated topic amongst my local family and friends and I was curious as to any of your opinions, thoughts or just additional information if anyone has any insight or is willing to offer their viewpoint.

The business community in Louisville was very much behind the bridge project. I don't believe the state had much choice. I know Ford Motor was a big proponent of the bridge work as was GE at one time. Both companies were vulnerable to losing production when there was a problem on one of the downtown bridges. The bridge in the East end was promised when they built the truck plant on Westport Road. I am really surprised Ford didn't pull production from Ky.

Terminus
12-27-2016, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the info; I definitely didn't know that about Ford.