PDA

View Full Version : Exercise, fitness, weight, calories, and overall health: Christmas Eve 2016-until

Pages : 1 [2]

blueboss
10-16-2017, 10:46 PM
Yesterday was my 1 year surgiversary. I’ve officially lost 137 lbs. I’m thrilled with my progress but I’m still a few pounds from my original goal - but that’s ok- I’m happy with myself for the first time since I was 11 years old. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171015/8edbed2a799f212361b4009ca9833e2b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keeneland??

uklandrn
10-17-2017, 08:20 AM
yes

blueboss
10-17-2017, 02:15 PM
yes

I was there on Saturday... had a blast. Hit the 3rd race and played with house money the rest of the day....

How'd you do??

Darrell KSR
10-18-2017, 02:11 PM
Bumped back up to 208.6 today. Getting serious again about inputting what I am eating. That is the only time I have been successful in dropping weight--I have been "off" that for months, about the time I sort of hit a plateau (and now have creeped above just a little).

One thing I have noticed--I got sloppy on my "eating plan." I began eating a banana, if anything, for breakfast. Then two boiled eggs for lunch. And when I got home, I felt like I could eat what I wanted, since I only had 200+ calories during the day.

So I ate a "healthy-ish" dinner. Then cookies. And more cookies. And more snack foods of various sorts. I knew I was eating crap, but it didn't matter, in my mind, because I had calories to give.

Not that many. I'm terrible. Rather than eat 3 chips ahoy cookies, I grab a handful. 3 or 4. Then the next time I pass the kitchen, I repeat. And so on, and so forth. I don't think I realized just how many I was consuming.

So I am starting back on the plan I had before. Today I had oatmeal with a teaspoon of peanut butter for breakfast. 208 calories. Had a banana for a snack, and still eggs for lunch. But almonds as a mid-afternoon snack (more on that in a minute--actually, I'll make a separate post on that).

When I get home tonight, I won't eat horribly. At least, that's the plan.

Darrell KSR
10-18-2017, 02:14 PM
Mick, and others, had recommended the Planters Heart Healthy mixed nuts. I bought it, and tried it, and had a real problem with indigestion. I have a food allergy/intolerance to some nuts, like sunflowers.

So I tried to narrow it down.

Peanuts? Probably not. I eat them, and peanut butter, no problem.
Pistachios? Nah. I eat them when we have them in the cracked shells, and enjoy them without a problem.

That leaves....hazelnuts, walnuts and almonds.

I tried almonds today, and have had no problem with them so far. So I think those will be ok.

Hazelnuts or walnuts? Or both? Not sure. Miserable feeling, though.

badrose
10-18-2017, 09:34 PM
Blue Diamond almonds have about a half dozen flavors to choose from. I like the Wasabie and Shiracha.

Darrell KSR
10-18-2017, 10:06 PM
Blue Diamond almonds have about a half dozen flavors to choose from. I like the Wasabie and Shiracha.

I had 12 almonds today, and did not have a problem, so I think I'm good to go. That is a big help. I brought a can to work today.

uklandrn
10-22-2017, 06:51 PM
Today I officially weigh less than I did when I lost Ron. That is something I never thought would happen again - since I am one of those people that eat when they are stressed instead of not eating and withering away to nothing. Only a few more pounds to get to my goal.

CitizenBBN
10-22-2017, 09:12 PM
that's awesome Niki.

I need to get back on the carb free. Hard to do these days for lots of reasons, but I really dropped the weight last time when I did it.

I would love to lose about as much as you, but not quite that much. 100lbs overall would be great, I dropped a bit more than half of it the first time, but have put about 15 of it back on I'm sure. Won't get there eating potato chips and dip for dinner, which is my current dinner about 2-3 nights a week.

blueboss
10-24-2017, 11:52 PM
Back to 222.4

Darrell KSR
10-25-2017, 06:47 AM
I've been eating about 10 cookies a night. Not going near the scale for awhile.

uklandrn
11-30-2017, 12:55 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171130/4331db4b6e44575e0b6f65f5795312fa.jpg
My sister and me at our family Thanksgiving dinner. Proud to be down another pound or so. Hope everyone has a healthy and happy holiday season!

Darrell KSR
11-30-2017, 07:14 AM
Have gained back 10 pounds. Still a good year. Want to stop the regression now, though.

Colonoscopy tomorrow. No food today will help!

blueboss
11-30-2017, 05:24 PM
Still hanging around that 220-222 mark. I'm still considering starting an exercise routine here soon. I've got to travel this weekend so I'm considering starting to get back in shape next week.

I'm not in horrible shape but it'll take a week or so to get in exercise shape where I can actually go long and hard enough to burn calories.

blueboss
12-03-2017, 12:18 PM
Did I mention I was in Chicago?!?!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171203/1e4fe0741bf607e70c87407cdbe89ac1.jpg

Darrell KSR
12-03-2017, 12:38 PM
I keep gaining the weight Niki is losing....

Darrell KSR
12-03-2017, 12:38 PM
Did I mention I was in Chicago?!?!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171203/1e4fe0741bf607e70c87407cdbe89ac1.jpg

Man, that looks good...

blueboss
12-03-2017, 12:42 PM
Giordano's...

blueboss
12-05-2017, 06:27 PM
225.4 ugh!!

Too much Chicago pizza and Italian beef...

uklandrn
12-29-2017, 12:34 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171229/457dd3cce887ad7bcd6420dc78e4894c.jpg

My cousin and me getting ready for UK vs Louisville football on our Family Thanksgiving. Still about 10 pounds away from my goal but life over all is good!!

KSRBEvans
01-02-2018, 09:37 AM
Mrs. BEvans and I are going to London May 19-28. I'm setting a goal of losing 50 pounds before we go. I'm going to chart my exercise and weight here as I go. Let's do this!

Darrell KSR
01-02-2018, 10:33 AM
Mrs. BEvans and I are going to London May 19-28. I'm setting a goal of losing 50 pounds before we go. I'm going to chart my exercise and weight here as I go. Let's do this!

Good luck! Don't get discouraged if your progress is quick, then slower, though. -5 is better than zero!

blueboss
01-02-2018, 09:08 PM

Good luck, I just don't have the discipline or motivation to set that aggressive of a goal. I'm shooting for my usual 20 lbs by May, I'll be looking forward to your progress reports which I can use for motivation. Now I just need to decide when to start...I'm thinking this Sunday might be a good day to try and start getting back in exercise shape. I'll add the dieting later.

Darrell KSR
01-03-2018, 09:16 AM
Wow. 219.4 this morning. How easy was it to gain weight?

KSRBEvans
01-10-2018, 07:59 AM
Good luck, I just don't have the discipline or motivation to set that aggressive of a goal. I'm shooting for my usual 20 lbs by May, I'll be looking forward to your progress reports which I can use for motivation. Now I just need to decide when to start...I'm thinking this Sunday might be a good day to try and start getting back in exercise shape. I'll add the dieting later.

I hear you--I've had so many starts and stops over the years it's not funny. For me, I find I do better if I set relatively short-term goals and make them big enough that I know I have to stay disciplined to meet it. If I'm looking at a 12-18 month program (which, unfortunately, I probably am), that's so daunting I find it easier to fall off the wagon. But a 120-day or so goal where I know it's for a purpose at the end (e.g., enjoying a trip more), that's more realistic for me.

I'm currently reading this book about habits, and it's really changed the way I think about diet/exercise:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51Q4AwpPDkL._SY346_.jpg

KSRBEvans
01-10-2018, 08:02 AM
Week 1: Down 4.4 pounds. Only did a brisk/long enough walk to say I worked out twice, but I did walk the dog about 15 minutes each day.

Darrell KSR
01-10-2018, 02:19 PM
Great job, Brian.

blueboss
01-10-2018, 07:25 PM
Week 1: Down 4.4 pounds. Only did a brisk/long enough walk to say I worked out twice, but I did walk the dog about 15 minutes each day.

You must really be hitting a stringent diet. 4.4 in a week is amazing, congrats!

I started getting back in exercise shape Monday. It should take about another week for me to get where I can keep a sustained fast pace without fear of dying.

Diet will follow.

BigBluePappy
01-10-2018, 07:41 PM
Grammy and I have joined a gym in an effort to not only possibly extend our life, but have a better quality of life. I had crept back up to 250 lbs and being a three time, well 2.3 great grand father, I agreed.
I did 45 minutes on a treadmill last night and 30 minutes on the treadmill + another 45 minutes doing "core" exercises, tonight.
I am hoping not only to drop some tonnage, but also get my blood sugar levels under control (Type II).
Going again tomorrow night with the plan of at least 30 minutes on the treadmill and either working upper or lower body and then the next night same thing but doing whichever one we did not do.
Then next night just an hour on the treadmill, then Sunday, well even the Good Lord took a day off, then back at it Monday starting the routine all over.
Keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we go through this (she is VERY competitive) ordeal together without her killing me.

blueboss
01-10-2018, 10:49 PM
Grammy and I have joined a gym in an effort to not only possibly extend our life, but have a better quality of life. I had crept back up to 250 lbs and being a three time, well 2.3 great grand father, I agreed.
I did 45 minutes on a treadmill last night and 30 minutes on the treadmill + another 45 minutes doing "core" exercises, tonight.
I am hoping not only to drop some tonnage, but also get my blood sugar levels under control (Type II).
Going again tomorrow night with the plan of at least 30 minutes on the treadmill and either working upper or lower body and then the next night same thing but doing whichever one we did not do.
Then next night just an hour on the treadmill, then Sunday, well even the Good Lord took a day off, then back at it Monday starting the routine all over.
Keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we go through this (she is VERY competitive) ordeal together without her killing me.

Good luck Pap, it sure makes it more tolerable exercising with someone. Sounds like you’re going at with both barrels.

BigBluePappy
01-11-2018, 06:42 AM
With a plan, a partner and a purpose...
Let us just hope that life doesn't have other plans.

KSRBEvans
01-11-2018, 07:53 AM
You must really be hitting a stringent diet. 4.4 in a week is amazing, congrats!

I started getting back in exercise shape Monday. It should take about another week for me to get where I can keep a sustained fast pace without fear of dying.

Diet will follow.

I'm not really on a strict diet. I use My Fitness Pal (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/) to set my calorie max for the day and then I journal everything I eat or drink and weigh myself daily. So in that sense I guess it's strict but I'm not limiting types of food, just staying within my calorie limit for the day.

I tend to lose a lot the first couple of weeks then settle down. If I'm doing good and exercising along with journaling my food I'll lose an average of 2 lbs/week, give or take.

Great start by exercising--hang in there.

Darrell KSR
01-11-2018, 05:12 PM
Pedro said it a long time ago, and I find it particularly true the older I get.

If you want to be healthy -- exercise. (Gym mandate)

If you want to lose weight -- diet (or watch your calories - Kitchen mandate).

You simply can't lose the weight by exercising alone, especially when you get older. I was exercising like a fiend and not losing any weight, and then stopped exercising, and started charting what I was eating, and the pounds dropped. To me, it's important to chart everything. I stopped doing it months ago, and need to return.

blueboss
01-11-2018, 06:00 PM
Up to 10 minutes of extremely fast pace, on the gazelle, followed by a moderate pace on the tread mill for cool down.

Thinking of adding a new elliptical machine to the work out area (basement, see Marksbury players first lounge...it ain’t that).

I should be able to go 20 minutes by Mondayish.

I can usually drop five pounds getting in exercise shape... of course not gorging on ice cream afterwards.

Diet starts in February.

BigBluePappy
01-16-2018, 05:32 PM
First weigh in and down from 252 to 240 pounds in about a week and a half.
Best thing is I am starting to see a positive in my Blood Sugar Levels...
Most of the weight loss is watching what I put in my cakehole.

Going to gym later tonight.

blueboss
01-16-2018, 06:44 PM
First weigh in and down from 252 to 240 pounds in about a week and a half.
Best thing is I am starting to see a positive in my Blood Sugar Levels...
Most of the weight loss is watching what I put in my cakehole.

Going to gym later tonight.

I’m doing the quick math in head and I came up with -12 lbs. That, my good man, is outstanding, great news about the blood sugar too.

You guys are embarrassing me. Tonight I got up to 20 minutes with an average heart heart rate in the 150’s bpm. I’m going to stay there for the rest of the week or until my rate starts going down, then I’ll push it a bit more next week.

If I throw in the warm up and cool down I averaged in the 130’s for 30 minutes.

Diet still to come.

BigBluePappy
01-16-2018, 07:59 PM
Spent about an hour and a half at the gym. Grammy got home and we left right after I posted.
45 minutes on the tread to warm up and 45 minutes working the core and upper body.
Try to get the heart up to 140-160 bpm range for at least 20 of those minutes.

Tried walking and dieting but it was no fun and I did not have anyone to hold me accountable; now I do.
Now, off to the showers as surely I do reek...

KSRBEvans
01-17-2018, 08:52 AM
Week 2: gained 1 pound, down 3.4 pounds total.

Actually surprised it wasn't more. I had a lost (long) weekend where I didn't journal my food or get in any workouts other than walking the dog. Mrs. BEvans and I went out a few times and things went off the rails.

In this situation I'd normally beat myself up and go back to old habits but I'm going back to faithful journaling and exercise today.

blueboss
01-17-2018, 05:28 PM
Spent about an hour and a half at the gym. Grammy got home and we left right after I posted.
45 minutes on the tread to warm up and 45 minutes working the core and upper body.
Try to get the heart up to 140-160 bpm range for at least 20 of those minutes.

Tried walking and dieting but it was no fun and I did not have anyone to hold me accountable; now I do.
Now, off to the showers as surely I do reek...

Wheweee!! That’s a lot of work out. I’ll get up to 40 minutes with an elevated heart rate. My warm up and down is 5 minutes each way.....

Speaking of which, it’s about that time now.

blueboss
01-17-2018, 06:17 PM
Done and done!! I’d like to share my workout numbers that my Fitbit recorded... but some dummy didn’t set the exercise mode. I can tell you I busted my tail for 22 minutes and my heart rate maxed at 172, and I added around 4000 steps to my daily total. Coming off the cool down currently at 93 bpm

BigBluePappy
01-17-2018, 08:00 PM
Done and done!! I’d like to share my workout numbers that my Fitbit recorded... but some dummy didn’t set the exercise mode. I can tell you I busted my tail for 22 minutes and my heart rate maxed at 172, and I added around 4000 steps to my daily total. Coming off the cool down currently at 93 bpm

That is awesome.
I guess I was as sedentary as I at first thought. 45 minutes on the treadmill with like you a 5 minute warmup and cool down. Used the incline to get my heart rate up again and kept it in the 140-160 for about 15 minutes and then gradually lowered the incline. Not seeing so much in the mirror but just the way I am feeling...and my blood sugar levels are lower and more what you would hope to see rather than the 175-180; they are now down to a pretty decent 135-145. AFter that I spent about 1 hour working on core and a timed 30 minute workout, bring on the sweat baby.
Just got to keep reminding myself.
Baby steps...

blueboss
01-19-2018, 02:03 AM
I went just over 21 minutes with an average bpm of 134. I went 15 of those minutes at peak 169 bpm. covering just over 3k steps totaling 1.72 miles... which in my book is a pretty good pace.

BigBluePappy
01-19-2018, 02:18 AM
As my granddaughter would say, "you went way past playin' and straight into beast mode".

BigBluePappy
01-22-2018, 08:03 PM
Down to 236 - still watching what I put in my piehole and slacked a little this week; a couple of nights was feeling a tad under the weather and only did the treadmill.
But I am seeing positive results...

blueboss
01-23-2018, 02:03 AM
Down to 236 - still watching what I put in my piehole and slacked a little this week; a couple of nights was feeling a tad under the weather and only did the treadmill.
But I am seeing positive results...

Good job Pappy!!

My treadmill went kaput on me last night. The adjustment screw and mounting bracket broke on the back roller. I tore into it tonight and tried to repair it but it’s not fixable without a major rebuild.

I’m now having to do the bulk of exercise on the glider. I’m going elliptical/machine shopping soon.

Tonight I went 30 minute, average bpm was 149 with a high of 181 bpm going just under 2.5 miles.... I’m getting there, in exercise shape that is.

KSRBEvans
01-24-2018, 08:50 AM
Week 3: Lost 2 pounds, down 5.4 total. Walked the dog 15 minutes each day and worked out 3 times--good, but need to get better.

My major stumbling block right now is the weekend. I do good during the week tracking my eating and staying disciplined, but Saturday and Sunday I relax. I need to find a way to continue being structured.

Darrell KSR
01-24-2018, 10:18 AM
Yesterday was a typical example. I had a bowl of raisin bran cereal (for "obvious" reasons, I have begun eating more fiber as well), and I had a bowl of oatmeal for lunch.

And four peanut butter and chocolate cookies.

And dinner had Shepherd's Pie with green peas.

And a bunch (I didn't count, but kept going back for two at a time--probably as many as 8) peanut butter and chocolate cookies.

I've got to control that. A dozen PB & Chocolate cookies ain't healthy. My annual checkup is in March. I have to lose at least 5-10 pounds to get back to where I was when I saw the doctor a couple of months ago, and preferably more.

What's my problem? Other than holidays and such, I stopped bringing eggs to work. Boiled eggs work. They are filling, good protein, and low calorie.

KSRBEvans
01-24-2018, 10:26 AM
^Yep, finding things that are quality snacks work for me, too. I have a Clif bar for breakfast but know I'll be hungry by mid-morning. (In fact I count on eating a lighter breakfast so I can have that mid-morning snack.) Greek Yogurt is usually my choice. I wish boiled eggs worked for me, but the texture and smell grosses me out.

Darrell KSR
01-24-2018, 10:32 AM
I love boiled eggs. For some changes, I put salt and pepper on them (salt always, pepper sometimes). If I were home and had some salsa, I could include that.

I'm with you as a texture person--there's no way to cover up the texture if you don't like it. I don't like the texture of coconut. Love the flavor. Can't stand to eat anything coconut because of the texture. I mean, I'd rather eat kibbles and bits dog food.

blueboss
01-24-2018, 05:00 PM
I love boiled eggs. For some changes, I put salt and pepper on them (salt always, pepper sometimes). If I were home and had some salsa, I could include that.

I'm with you as a texture person--there's no way to cover up the texture if you don't like it. I don't like the texture of coconut. Love the flavor. Can't stand to eat anything coconut because of the texture. I mean, I'd rather eat kibbles and bits dog food.

Kibbles and Bits may be a good answer to your PB & chocolate cookie problem... just say’n.

KSRBEvans
01-25-2018, 11:23 AM
Saw this tweet from Kyle Tucker and thought of this thread:

Kyle Tucker‏
@KyleTucker_SEC

Today is a month since I've had any bread, dairy or added sugar. I'm also down to one* Diet Coke per day. And I've lost 22 pounds in that time. It's pretty crazy what not shoveling processed garbage into your pie hole every couple of hours will do.

* Sometimes that is a 44oz DC

10:42 AM - 25 Jan 2018

https://twitter.com/KyleTucker_SEC/status/956552933256163328

Darrell KSR
01-26-2018, 03:07 PM
Weighed in at Scale Back Alabama, where they encourage two-person teams to lose 10 pounds in 8 weeks. My wife and I signed up, as we did last year as well.

It was the start of my diet and exercise program last year, and will do it again this year. I had a really good nine and a half months and then poor the next 3+. Overall down from where I started last year, so I am hopeful it will be 2 steps forward, 1 step back again this year.

Darrell KSR
01-27-2018, 07:04 AM
Day 1. Been up since 4. Two scrambled eggs, cup of Steel cut oatmeal. No cookies last night or dessert. Apple cider vinegar in 12 oz water, 2nd 12 oz water finished.

KSRBEvans
01-31-2018, 07:43 AM
Week 4: lost 4.2 pounds, down 9.6 total. Walked the dog every day & got in 4 workouts.

Did a better job making good choices on the weekend, which helped. Also down a notch on the belt, which is always a good feeling.

Darrell KSR
01-31-2018, 07:57 AM
Outstanding BEvans.

Have lost a little, not enough to mention, since Friday. May weigh-in each Friday and report for the next 8 weeks, since that's the length of the "Scale Back Alabama" thing. Even though I know diet is the key, I need to add back my exercise, too. It all works together.

BigBluePappy
01-31-2018, 07:58 PM
230 Pounds and slowly dropping...

blueboss
01-31-2018, 09:42 PM
You guys are doing great, on the other hand I inched over the 225 mark to 227. I have not done any type of dieting but I am exercising.

uklandrn
02-07-2018, 03:03 AM
I’m down 4 more pounds. Not at my original goal but seriously I’m happy what I’ve accomplished so far. If I stay this size forever I will not complain.

Darrell KSR
02-07-2018, 08:11 AM
217.6 this morning, down 5.0 pounds one day short of 3 weeks (tomorrow will be 3 weeks).

Darrell KSR
02-07-2018, 08:12 AM
I’m down 4 more pounds. Not at my original goal but seriously I’m happy what I’ve accomplished so far. If I stay this size forever I will not complain.

You should be extremely happy. You've done great.

KSRBEvans
02-07-2018, 10:16 AM

Great work!

KSRBEvans
02-07-2018, 10:17 AM
217.6 this morning, down 5.0 pounds one day short of 3 weeks (tomorrow will be 3 weeks).

Excellent, Darrell.

When I'm 217.6 I'll be....way down from where I am now. :D It's all relative.

KSRBEvans
02-07-2018, 10:23 AM
Week 5: I lost 1.8 pounds, down 11.4 total. Walked the dog every day, got in 4 workouts. Another wobbly couple of days in the middle of the week not eating what I should, but got back on track.

If I can lose at this current pace I will have lost about 45 pounds before our anniversary trip in May, so I'm using that for short-term motivation. That airline seat on the long-haul flight to London will be a lot more comfortable, and it will be a lot easier to move around while touring the city.

Darrell KSR
02-07-2018, 12:38 PM
If you shoot for 45, and it ends up being 30-35, call that a huge win, BEvans. I'm not trying to lower expectations or your drive, just making sure you understand that even a bit short of the goal is a tremendous accomplishment, too.

KSRBEvans
02-07-2018, 12:50 PM
If you shoot for 45, and it ends up being 30-35, call that a huge win, BEvans. I'm not trying to lower expectations or your drive, just making sure you understand that even a bit short of the goal is a tremendous accomplishment, too.

Absolutely, Darrell, and I'm trying to keep that in mind as I do this. If this were a previous attempt I would've had a bad couple of days, quit and gone back to old habits. It also helps participating in this thread for accountability and encouragement.

uklandrn
02-07-2018, 07:58 PM
I am happy. Today I ate a brownie. I was sad thinking about the anniversary of my dad’s death and said oh what the heck. I don’t do that often but it was good!!

BigBluePappy
02-08-2018, 06:11 PM
Holding steady at 230...

Darrell KSR
02-11-2018, 06:08 PM
217.2 this morning, and that was after going out to eat last night. Pleased with that. I know it can fluctuate, but I viewed that as a good sign to be down another 0.4 in a few days.

Gotta start exercising again to help the diet.

Darrell KSR
02-11-2018, 08:47 PM
$198.95.

Thats what my daughter spent this morning in New Orleans on King Cakes she brought back with her. I think she bought 8. We get 3, but one goes to my daughter in college.

It won't be good for my diet.

KSRBEvans
02-12-2018, 02:07 PM
$198.95.

Thats what my daughter spent this morning in New Orleans on King Cakes she brought back with her. I think she bought 8. We get 3, but one goes to my daughter in college.

It won't be good for my diet.

I struggle with special occasions. On one hand, it can be an excuse for me to engage in old habits and overindulge. OTOH, food can be an important part of special occasions and trying to completely abstain can be...odd.

I try to stick with an idea of moderation, but then I think: if I have a problem with food--like a real problem--can one be moderate? How do I know if I have a real problem, one that makes abstention the only solution? Substitute "alcohol" for "food", in other words. Can one be moderate with alcohol if they have a real problem with it?

These are the things I still think about. At this point moderation is working for me. If it ends up not working, I may need to address the question again.

Darrell KSR
02-12-2018, 03:34 PM
I struggle with special occasions. On one hand, it can be an excuse for me to engage in old habits and overindulge. OTOH, food can be an important part of special occasions and trying to completely abstain can be...odd.

I try to stick with an idea of moderation, but then I think: if I have a problem with food--like a real problem--can one be moderate? How do I know if I have a real problem, one that makes abstention the only solution? Substitute "alcohol" for "food", in other words. Can one be moderate with alcohol if they have a real problem with it?

These are the things I still think about. At this point moderation is working for me. If it ends up not working, I may need to address the question again.

As I gazed at the King Cake this morning (and I went home at lunch, and saw it again), I thought about this. "Everything in moderation" is a staple of some people, some religions, some diets, some everything. But would a 1" slice of King Cake satisfy me, or just make me want more?

I'd like an 6" "hunk" if I had my druthers, or at least a 4" slice. It's easier for me to refrain than to have any, so moderation *does not* work for me, in general.

If I get to the point where I'm ready for a "cheat day" to run up the calories, then fine--go for it. But until then, it's just hard for me. I've just eliminated all desserts since beginning the diet, as well as all snacks (other than nuts or prunes).

blueboss
02-12-2018, 06:51 PM
As I gazed at the King Cake this morning (and I went home at lunch, and saw it again), I thought about this. "Everything in moderation" is a staple of some people, some religions, some diets, some everything. But would a 1" slice of King Cake satisfy me, or just make me want more?

I'd like an 6" "hunk" if I had my druthers, or at least a 4" slice. It's easier for me to refrain than to have any, so moderation *does not* work for me, in general.

If I get to the point where I'm ready for a "cheat day" to run up the calories, then fine--go for it. But until then, it's just hard for me. I've just eliminated all desserts since beginning the diet, as well as all snacks (other than nuts or prunes).

Yeah, but by not eating a big ole hunk of the king cake you have no shot at getting the baby... in fact, the larger the piece the more you increase your odds of getting the prize.

So really, the question is, how important is to have an entire year of good health and prosperity ? One little piece of cake is a small price to pay...just say’n.

BigBluePappy
02-12-2018, 08:35 PM
Daggone it I have hit a wall; 230 and holding...

Darrell KSR
02-13-2018, 05:27 AM
Yeah, but by not eating a big ole hunk of the king cake you have no shot at getting the baby... in fact, the larger the piece the more you increase your odds of getting the prize.

So really, the question is, how important is to have an entire year of good health and prosperity ? One little piece of cake is a small price to pay...just say’n.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIf you get the baby, you have to buy the new King cake. In my family, we swallow it instead of admitting we got it.

KSRBEvans
02-14-2018, 09:37 AM
Week 6: Lost 2.4 pounds, down 13.8 total. I'd be thrilled if I could lose like that every week, but I know there will be ups and downs. Walked the dog 5 days + got in another 4 longer walks. Starting to stretch it out a bit, going out about 40 minutes or so at a time.

Valentine's Day, and Mrs. BEvans and I are going out to one of our favorite places and probably eating one of our favorite meals which is basically heart attack on a plate. Trying to neutralize that a bit with a smaller portion and a salad. The moderation thing we discussed.

KSRBEvans
02-21-2018, 08:24 AM
Week 7: Lost 3.6 pounds, down 17.4 total. Starting to up my exercise amount/intensity and I think that's helping. Also not feeling cravings for my old junk food crutches as much now that I'm out of some bad eating habits.

Life for me is fairly low-stress right now (knock on wood). Makes it easier to stay on track. I tend to respond to stress by eating bad stuff and vegging out, which is the exact wrong thing for me to do. I'm trying to be ready for that and respond appropriately.

BigBluePappy
02-21-2018, 08:25 PM
The wall is winning; 234 pounds.
What the heck...

uklandrn
02-27-2018, 11:03 PM
Down a couple more pounds. Coming off more slowly than before but I’m still happy with my results.

uklandrn
02-27-2018, 11:04 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180228/4880ec94c27941b949f0a3fba4e5427a.jpg

blueboss
02-28-2018, 07:00 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180228/4880ec94c27941b949f0a3fba4e5427a.jpg

Outstanding!! Keep up the good work, but don’t whittle away to nothing.

KSRBEvans
02-28-2018, 07:57 AM
:sHa_clap2:

Great job!

KSRBEvans
02-28-2018, 08:03 AM
Week 8: Lost 1 pound, down 18.4 total. Pretty much had a lost weekend--didn't go nuts, but ate whatever and didn't exercise. Got back with it Monday and back on track.

Traveling this weekend, which can sometimes play havoc with my diet/exercise plan. Trying to be aware of that and plan for it.

KSRBEvans
03-01-2018, 11:50 AM
BTW, Tyra Banks gets me:

Tyra Banks‏Verified account
@tyrabanks

Follow Follow @tyrabanks

More

Hear me now, and hear me loud.

A DAD BOD SHOULD BE APPRECIATED LIKE A ROCK HARD BOD.

We celebrate thick women, now it's time to celebrate the thick fellas.

�� #ANTM

8:22 PM - 27 Feb 2018

https://twitter.com/tyrabanks/status/968657734127165440

blueboss
03-03-2018, 02:43 PM
Back at 225.4. I’ve laid off exercise for the last two weeks while regaining my strength after having the flu.

You’d think one would have lost weight coming off the flu. I had type A which was respiratory related, along with sapping every ounce of energy I had. I wasn’t taking in a lot of calories, but I wasn’t burning any either.

Planning on getting back to exercising starting tomorrow.

uklandrn
03-04-2018, 03:32 PM
You guys have no worries of me wildling away. I literally am still 20 pounds from my ideal weight (according to BMI) - but I’m happy to just not be embarrassed to leave my House anymore.

Darrell KSR
03-04-2018, 06:09 PM
Well done, BEvans. Like the direction.

Week 8: Lost 1 pound, down 18.4 total. Pretty much had a lost weekend--didn't go nuts, but ate whatever and didn't exercise. Got back with it Monday and back on track.

Traveling this weekend, which can sometimes play havoc with my diet/exercise plan. Trying to be aware of that and plan for it.

I've always had a philosophy--when sick, forget diets. Don't worry about weight. Good or bad, health is more important at the moment, and when you get back to healthy, whatever happened--good or bad--can be fixed.

Back at 225.4. I’ve laid off exercise for the last two weeks while regaining my strength after having the flu.

You’d think one would have lost weight coming off the flu. I had type A which was respiratory related, along with sapping every ounce of energy I had. I wasn’t taking in a lot of calories, but I wasn’t burning any either.

Planning on getting back to exercising starting tomorrow.

You've done so great I cannot imagine you are not already at your ideal weight. BMI lies. You look great, and are a role model for us.

You guys have no worries of me wildling away. I literally am still 20 pounds from my ideal weight (according to BMI) - but I’m happy to just not be embarrassed to leave my House anymore.

blueboss
03-05-2018, 09:29 PM
Started exercising yesterday. It’s amazing how quickly getting out of exercise shape occurs. I damn near died going just over 10 minutes. I added a few minutes today, just under 20 minutes.

KSRBEvans
03-06-2018, 07:34 AM
^Great job--getting started is half the battle.

KSRBEvans
03-07-2018, 07:37 AM
Week 9: lost 3.6 pounds, down 22 total. Celebrated my son's birthday--twice, once with in-laws over the weekend and once on his actual birthday--and held the line pretty well. Tried to make smart choices and when in doubt, take a smaller portion.

Mrs. BEvans says I need to go buy some new clothes. :D I usually hate clothes shopping but it's exciting when it's for this reason.

blueboss
03-07-2018, 08:59 PM
Back up to 20+ minutes, should make it to 30 by the end of the week... full blast starting next week.

KSRBEvans
03-13-2018, 02:36 PM
Saw this Runners World interview with Chip Gaines and thought it was well worth posting here. He ran into runner & cancer survivor Gabe Grunewald and that sparked him and Joanna to begin an annual 5K/half/full marathon in Waco, and he's training to run it as his first marathon:

https://www.runnersworld.com/celebrity-runners/chip-gaines-training-for-first-marathon

Darrell KSR
03-13-2018, 04:23 PM
Been to the gym, skipped lunch two days in a row.

Yesterday 2.5 miles on treadmill in just over 30 minutes. Pleased with that time. Today 2.5 miles in less than 30 minutes, then walked 0.5 mile more.

Yesterday added 5 minutes of rowing. I'm such a wimp.

Today added bench press, 40 reps, light weight. Still such a wimp.

My legs are toast. Tomorrow I'll go very light. I know, THAT'S very light. Not for me. I'll probably walk 2 miles and do maybe a little more weights.

blueboss
03-13-2018, 09:45 PM
Good job!!

Tonight I went just under 2 miles in just under 25 minutes, average heart rate of 149 bpm, with a max 168 bpm.

BigBluePappy
03-14-2018, 03:29 AM
Still holding steady at 230.
But clothes are literally hanging off of me; may have to drop an X...

KSRBEvans
03-14-2018, 07:45 AM
Week 10: lost 3.6 pounds, down 25.6 total. Got a sinus infection, which was a double-edged sword from a weight loss perspective. On one hand I haven't felt like eating, but OTOH I haven't felt like exercising, either. Just trying to take it easy and focus on getting better.

blueboss
03-20-2018, 08:42 PM
221.1 not coming off very quickly. I’m stuck in one of those valleys, hope to see it start moving a little faster in the coming weeks.

I got knocked off kilter with that bout with the flu. I’ve to decided to keep to a stricter diet through April to try and catch up. Still shooting for 210 by May.. we’ll see.

KSRBEvans
03-22-2018, 08:07 AM
Week 11: lost 2.6 pounds, down 28.2 total. Over being sick, got in some longer walks with the dog. DST means more evening daylight and that's also good for evening walks.

KSRBEvans
03-28-2018, 07:48 AM
Week 12: lost 2.8 pounds, down 31.0 total. 7 more weeks until our London trip--not counting on it happening, but if I could keep losing at this pace, I'll be pretty close to my pre-trip goal.

blueboss
03-28-2018, 08:14 PM
220, trickling down, still shooting for 210 by 2nd week of May... gonna be tough.

I’m going hard exercising

Darrell KSR
03-30-2018, 06:03 PM
220, trickling down, still shooting for 210 by 2nd week of May... gonna be tough.

I’m going hard exercising

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI've gone up in weight, but I'm getting in better shape. Been exercising with my son, and even on days I haven't, I've been walking 12-13,000 steps. On good days, I have ran, done light weight work, and some machines.

But gained several pounds. At my age, I have to cut calories. No substitute.

Darrell KSR
03-31-2018, 08:31 AM
221.2 this morning.

Went to the track yesterday afternoon and the gym last night. Son has been on spring break and soccer practice begins again Monday and he wanted to stay in condition, so I got dragged along! Headed to the Park later for a 5k then back to the gym.

blueboss
03-31-2018, 12:23 PM
221.2 this morning.

Went to the track yesterday afternoon and the gym last night. Son has been on spring break and soccer practice begins again Monday and he wanted to stay in condition, so I got dragged along! Headed to the Park later for a 5k then back to the gym.

Jeez! That’s serious activity. I average around 12,000 steps a day, including five days a week I go 40-45 minutes on the glider which equates to around 3.5 - 4.0 miles. Heart rate averages around 150 bpm during exercise with peaks in the upper 160’s, I’ve gotten my “at rest” heart rate in the low 60’s (61-63 bpm).

It’s a slog, and with Easter tomorrow the calorie counting is out the window. Out to dinner tonight, huge brunch tomorrow, then another dinner later tomorrow night.

I actually saw 219.7 Friday morning, we’ll see how that holds on Tuesday, my official weigh in day.

Darrell KSR
04-01-2018, 06:32 AM
Wise man not to fight it. Today won't be good, but I'll start tomorrow with the calories intake.

What is so disappointing to me is the fact that I apparently cannot stand prosperity in losing weight. It seems every time I do make a little progress, I backtrack.

blueboss
04-03-2018, 08:28 PM
Tuesday weigh in 219.4, I’m a teener “again”!!

Not coming off very quickly, but I’ll take it.

Mean while I’m sitting here eating a couple of tangerines (cuties), wishing they were cake, or ice cream, or cookies, or chocolate, or pastries, or jelly beans, fudge, yeah fudge...

Granola is what I have for a treat... weee!!

KSRBEvans
04-04-2018, 07:50 AM
Tuesday weigh in 219.4, I’m a teener “again”!!

Not coming off very quickly, but I’ll take it.

Mean while I’m sitting here eating a couple of tangerines (cuties), wishing they were cake, or ice cream, or cookies, or chocolate, or pastries, or jelly beans, fudge, yeah fudge...

Granola is what I have for a treat... weee!!

Great job! I'd love to be a "teener" again, good work.

I know what you mean about "treats"--last night I had a 100-calorie bag of Orville Redenbacher Smart Pop for a "treat." Normally I would consider that cardboard with salt on it, but I enjoyed it (as much as one can enjoy Smart Pop).

KSRBEvans
04-04-2018, 07:58 AM
Week 13: lost 2.6 pounds, down 33.6 total.

Posting here every Wednesday has become a big accountability tool for me. There have been plenty of times I might've eaten something stupid, or not taken my evening power walk with my dog, if I didn't have a weigh-in coming and a report to the group here. I appreciate you putting up with me.

blueboss
04-04-2018, 12:43 PM
Week 13: lost 2.6 pounds, down 33.6 total.

Posting here every Wednesday has become a big accountability tool for me. There have been plenty of times I might've eaten something stupid, or not taken my evening power walk with my dog, if I didn't have a weigh-in coming and a report to the group here. I appreciate you putting up with me.

I wish I could lose multiple pounds in a week. I’m typically dropping around a pound or so /week.

I’m hitting the glider pretty hard, going five days/week about 40-45 minutes which equates to about 3-4 miles,usually at a pace of about 12-13 minute miles which burns 600-800 calories.

I’m still not eating sweets, however there are a few grams of sugar here and there in the Nature Vally bars, fruit and granola that I eat for treats/snacks. My daily calorie intake is around 1000-1500 daily.

I’ll keep plugging away...

BigBluePappy
04-04-2018, 06:05 PM
Still holding at 230 and Grammy and I go 3 to 4 nights a week, do an hour on the treadmill and then I do at least 45 minutes to an hours of lifting weights, to get what jiggles under control; chins, jowls, belly.
Caloric intake is between 1200-1500 calories with very little carb or sugar, but I seem to have hit a stumbling block.
Good news is my Blood sugar levels are outstanding and I seriously am going to have to get some smaller waisted drawers if this keeps up.
Has me confused, you do not build muscle at my age; just wrinkles...

Darrell KSR
04-05-2018, 08:18 AM

I continue to go the wrong way.

blueboss
04-10-2018, 07:43 PM
218.4, not much movement, but at least it beats a stick in the eye.

Darrell KSR
04-10-2018, 11:05 PM
222.8 again this morning.

Darrell KSR
04-10-2018, 11:08 PM
Caloric intake is between 1200-1500 calories with very little carb or sugar, but I seem to have hit a stumbling block.

JMO, but I think you'll be fine. Plateaus are often hit, and then you'll start the losing weight again.

If you want to "kick-start" it, and you've been pretty good about 1200-1500 calories daily for 2-3 weeks, you might try "ramping up" once a week, or once every 10 days or so. Run it to 2500 calories that day (try to do it on a day when you are exercising.). "They" say that it improves your metabolism, and keeps your body from adjusting to the fewer calories. Then drop the next day to the 1200-1500, do it for 6-10 days, then "ramp" again. Overall, you're still taking in fewer calories over a week-long period, so you should lose weight and keep your body's metabolism from adjusting to the fewer calories as well.

Worked really well for me a couple of years ago when I did this correctly. I am going to start back. Maybe tomorrow, or the next day. Maybe next week. But soon!

BigBluePappy
04-11-2018, 07:05 PM
That sounds like an idea to try, but I still have to keep in mind the type II thingy.
It truly is a pain in the tush, but after having survived a stroke, it ain't no big deal...

Darrell KSR
04-12-2018, 08:34 AM
That sounds like an idea to try, but I still have to keep in mind the type II thingy.
It truly is a pain in the tush, but after having survived a stroke, it ain't no big deal...

Definitely address that first and foremost! That's the most important.

I know everybody has an anecdotal thing that worked for them (or didn't), but that's mine. There's been some science that purports to debunk it, some that purports to support the theory, and when that happens, I usually just go with what works for me. I did the going to the gym, running 3-8 miles five days a week, etc. for awhile, and had minimal losses. Then I did the "reduce calories" thing and dropped a good deal of weight in a hurry. When I reached a point where it just wasn't coming off any more despite adhering to the reduced calories thing, somebody here told me I should consider "ramping up" every so often. I read about it a little, and tried it, and it seemed to work. Well, I started losing weight again, so it could have been coincidental, but it also worked very well with my lifestyle of going out to eat once on a weekend and not worrying about the calories since that was the day I was "ramping up."

I was told when you first start (or re-start, as I'm getting ready to do, since I haven't been watching calories for months now, and it shows), not to "ramp up" too quickly--it will take your body awhile to adjust to the lower calories, so no need. But after 2-3 weeks, go ahead and do it once. Then after that, as often as once a week, just making sure, of course, that your total calories for the week are such that you'll be losing weight. For example, if my daily calorie intake to maintain weight is 2000 calories (just to make the math easy), and I go 1800 calories for 6 days, but go 4000 calories on my "ramp up" day, that defeats the purpose. I'd be better off going 1600 calories for 6 days (calorie deficit of 2400), then jumping up to 2500 calories for ramp up day, for a total calorie deficit for the week of 1900.

Eh, it's just a theory. When I did it a couple of years ago, it seemed to work. If somebody mentions hitting a plateau of weight loss, I usually ask if they've tried it to see if it kick starts the weight loss again.

BigBluePappy
04-12-2018, 07:07 PM
Still doing the treadmill for 45 to an hour but not so much lifting; the redoing of Grammy's boudoir is taking a little bit of that time but we will have that kicked in the backside before too long.
Defionitely will try the ramping up Mr. Cartwright.

blueboss
04-12-2018, 09:14 PM
I’ve taken the week off of exercise with the same theory of making a metabolism change. Hopefully when I start back up I’ll see a little more robust decrease in weight.

218 flat this morning....

blueboss
04-18-2018, 09:30 PM
Back at it... 217.4, slow going.

Darrell KSR
04-19-2018, 06:48 AM

I have started the process again. Steel cut oats or two boiled eggs for breakfast, the other for lunch. Can have 6 almonds a couple of times a day, and one more boiled egg. Eat a full dinner as cooked. Stay away from the cookies in the pantry.

I'll need to find another 150 calorie type mini-meal. May have to expand it with cheerios, banana and skim milk, but I don't want to vary much from this formula.

I won't do it every day, and I already heard last year from my doctor about the number of eggs (all while my cholesterol levels were perfect). But that's my staple to get started.

blueboss
04-19-2018, 07:01 AM

I have started the process again. Steel cut oats or two boiled eggs for breakfast, the other for lunch. Can have 6 almonds a couple of times a day, and one more boiled egg. Eat a full dinner as cooked. Stay away from the cookies in the pantry.

I'll need to find another 150 calorie type mini-meal. May have to expand it with cheerios, banana and skim milk, but I don't want to vary much from this formula.

I won't do it every day, and I already heard last year from my doctor about the number of eggs (all while my cholesterol levels were perfect). But that's my staple to get started.

Another pretty good option, Ive been eating granola and adding raisins, or whatever fruit you like. Plus it’s good for your digestive track...

Darrell KSR
04-19-2018, 08:19 AM
Another pretty good option, Ive been eating granola and adding raisins, or whatever fruit you like. Plus it’s good for your digestive track...

Thanks, that sounds good. Or good enough :).

blueboss
04-20-2018, 12:31 PM
The other thing I’m doing, when I start craving sweets... I go with graham crackers, beats actually eating cardboard.

I think two sheets of eight crackers is 130 calories.

blueboss
04-25-2018, 10:09 PM
Man! This last 10 lbs is fighting me. I’ve been seeing 216’s, but my official weekly weigh in last night had me at 217.8... I’m guessing I’m holding water or something. I don’t see me getting to my goal of 210 by the close of derby week.

blueboss
05-04-2018, 10:05 PM
This is pretty discouraging, calorie counting, staying around 1000-1500 calories a day. Eating fresh fruit for breakfast, yogurt for lunch, and a nature valley bar for a mid day snack (400 cals total). Then a sensible dinner, usually totaling around 800-1000 cals. A couple nights a week I treat myself to an evening snack, fruit, or granola, or graham crackers totaling maybe 200 cals.

Exercising an hour five days a week burning around 800-900 cals each session. Maintaining peak heart rate at an average of 145-155 bpm with periods of 170-185 bpm.

I’m stuck at around 217... I’ve seen 215 to mid 217... stayed the same for two weeks. Didn’t make my goal of 210.

Going to the beach for a couple of weeks which will consist of r&r, seafood, and probably no structured exercise. I’m libel to gain 10 pounds back while vacationing.

I’m going to have to do some serious dieting when I get back, but I refuse to worry about while vacationing.

blueboss
05-23-2018, 11:09 AM
Well, let’s see when I left I was at 216.4. After two weeks of a gluttony of seafood and whatever else I decided to eat, and no structured exercise...My weigh in weight yesterday was 218.6.

All in all, not to shabby.

uklandrn
05-25-2018, 06:31 AM
I’m officially under 150. Have been for a couple weeks but I forgot to post. The picture is me and my sister celebrating my “Prac” party last Saturday. This consisted of me cooking scallops and everyone eating them and me finally drinking a Stella Artois out of my personally engraved “The Prac “ glass. Great day over all. And Alec came and stayed all day and we had the best time. He is the spitting image of his Dad. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180525/87d1d514d6f65a4eb748dc1c3c15fd58.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180525/0e4111d6e59047a72d611c4febc8a66a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180525/4bb4aee365d2f4b7cc460b4d1262f49e.jpg

uklandrn
05-31-2018, 10:15 PM
Went to my niece’s graduation today. It’s really nice to be able to wear real clothes and not just sweats and t-shirts or scrubs.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180601/4496fcd8bc5ce55629ca8ea44e45540f.jpg

blueboss
06-01-2018, 06:51 AM
Fantastic!! ^^^^

blueboss
06-06-2018, 07:03 AM
Might need to fire up the exercise/diet routine, I’ve picked up about 3-4 lbs since the first of May. Plus my average heart rate at rest has gone up about 5 ticks indicating I’m slipping out of shape.

Right now exercise consists of yard work a couple days of week for a couple hours, and diet has been shoved aside for bbq’s, dining out, snacking.

No rest for the weary... time to start thinking about putting a realistic goal in place.

MickintheHam
06-10-2018, 05:25 PM
Have been ramping up my cycling activity. My goal is 100 miles a month. Fell short in May by 11 miles. So far this month I am at 21 miles. Due to traveling I have only managed 3 outings, but should get out at least four times this week. That should put me over 50 miles. Last month I rode mostly flat routes. This week I have increased the elevations, doubling on average what I did last month. But if I can burn 300 to 400 calories every time out, I’ll be satisfied.

Darrell KSR
06-10-2018, 06:44 PM
Trying to be careful "running" around my neighborhood. Waited until after 4 today, but it was still 90°. Runtastic app said I dehydrated 50.29 ounces in 3.28 miles, with all of the distance over 2 miles being me just walking. Just too damn hot. Been sipping water and eating a banana ever since. I know it's hot when my breathing is heavy when I'm "resting" by walking up the hills (even when I'm in good condition - which I am not - I never do anything other than walk up hills).

MickintheHam
06-17-2018, 09:11 AM
Well, yesterday I joined a group bicycle ride and rode all over Birmingham. After about 13 miles we took a break in a park amphitheatre to decide on the final leg of the trip. One woman about 65, suggested we take the route up Red Mountain and then fly dowm Niazuma and 24th St. We had taken a mostly flat route to this point and those who weren’t up to the climb would take a different route back to the start. I noticed as we left the park, the woman who suggested we take the climb was leading the flatlanders. Only 7 of the Original 19 made the climb. I made it to the top although I was almost a block behind the pack. I fell further behind when the rest of the pack flew about 7 blocks down the mountain. As we regrouped the comment was made by our paraplegic leader that all but he and one other were over 65. The younger ones had abandoned us.

I made 20 of my targeted 25 miles per week in the one ride. Since my week is Friday through Thurs, I think I’ll take today off.

Darrell KSR
06-17-2018, 01:26 PM
225.4 today. Bad.

It is amazing how sedentary I am unless I consciously exercise. Great majority of these steps occurred in a 48-minute "run" yesterday. Going for another at Spain Park later today. A lot of the trail is in the woods so it won't be as brutally hot.

Darrell KSR
06-17-2018, 03:12 PM
My plans have been delayed... https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180617/2456e5b1a1b5bc43a80968ab1c7dd2e7.jpg

MickintheHam
06-19-2018, 10:37 PM
I rode 23 miles tonight. That puts me at 63 miles for the month. I may reach my monthly goal of 100 miles. This was the most rigorous ride in years. Lots of elevation changes. The bad news is I have gained about a pound and a half. The good news is when I put on my helmet tonight, I could get four fingers between the strap and chin. It might be a sign I havelost one of my chins.

Darrell KSR
06-21-2018, 10:08 PM

3.03 miles at Spain Park this afternoon because it wasn't as hot as it has been and they have a lot of shade. Still, a lot of walking the 3rd mile. I like slow jogging, but it sure would help to drop 40 pounds.

blueboss
06-22-2018, 12:23 AM
220, no diet, no exercise... it’s official, I’m a lazy slob.

MickintheHam
06-26-2018, 11:03 PM
I rode with the bicycle club tonight for almost 10 miles. I cut it short as the temp and humidity were oppressive. I am at 81 miles for the month with 4 days to go. I have a group ride scheduled for 12 or 13 miles on Saturday which means I need to ride another 7 to 10 miles in the next three days to meet my monthly goal of 100 miles. Not sure if I can do it in this weather. I have had two rides washed out this month which has put me behind the 8 ball.

Darrell KSR
06-27-2018, 05:20 PM
I rode with the bicycle club tonight for almost 10 miles. I cut it short as the temp and humidity were oppressive. I am at 81 miles for the month with 4 days to go. I have a group ride scheduled for 12 or 13 miles on Saturday which means I need to ride another 7 to 10 miles in the next three days to meet my monthly goal of 100 miles. Not sure if I can do it in this weather. I have had two rides washed out this month which has put me behind the 8 ball.Weather is iffy at best between oppressive heat and thunderstorms.

Darrell KSR
07-01-2018, 02:36 PM
Trying to get my son ready for some soccer camps and playing in the heat of the day. Told him I'd go out with him this afternoon and we'd run 45 minutes in the heat. Birmingham 90° weather ain't ideal for this old man, but I take it easy. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180701/38d48dbeaa5c9c0fe419d63d2f92fb92.jpg

blueboss
07-09-2018, 10:41 PM
I saw on a previous thread where I posted in 12/2016 where I was 228.6, I’m currently still hanging around 220.

Kind of discouraging seeing where I’m only down about 8lbs over the last year and a half. I’d feel better if I was hanging around my 5/2018 weight of 215.

Looks like it’s time to fire up the diet wagon. Gonna have to ditch ice cream... which sucks, I love ice cream.

Darrell KSR
07-10-2018, 09:00 AM
I was at 220.4 last week before my Dad passed, but a week's worth of not exercising, and just eating whatever has pushed me back to 224.

Darrell KSR
07-12-2018, 12:55 PM
221.4 today.

KSRBEvans
07-12-2018, 04:49 PM
I weighed 246 the day before my accident in April. Today I finally got to where I could stand on a scale unassisted and I weigh 218. And I've probably gained 10 pounds or so since coming home in May.

I definitely don't recommend car accidents as a weight-loss method, especially since I'm now trying to rebuild muscle mass & strength in my left hip and leg. :) But this is the lowest I've been in about 20 years.

Doc
07-12-2018, 09:13 PM
I weighed 246 the day before my accident in April. Today I finally got to where I could stand on a scale unassisted and I weigh 218. And I've probably gained 10 pounds or so since coming home in May.

I definitely don't recommend car accidents as a weight-loss method, especially since I'm now trying to rebuild muscle mass & strength in my left hip and leg. :) But this is the lowest I've been in about 20 years.

dude, I feel for you.......

I had a buddy text me that he heard I wreck my car. I said "****the car" and listed all the other stuff that I've been hit with in the last week (deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolism, aoritc aneurysm, pulmonary infarct. Lupus anticaoggulant syndrome). But compared to you, I am lucky

KSRBEvans
07-14-2018, 08:34 PM
Wow, Doc, I didn't know you were in a wreck, too. Take care & get better.

Doc
07-15-2018, 08:09 AM
Wow, Doc, I didn't know you were in a wreck, too. Take care & get better.

Mine is nowhere near as bad as yours. Not in the same hemisphere. I just got a bunch of other unrelated **** going on. Your issues actually do make me feel somewhat lucky, and I'm actually sorry about that because I certain would not wish what is going on with you upon anybody

Darrell KSR
07-15-2018, 06:13 PM
Got 2.75 miles in this afternoon. 93°, but 101°in the sun. Glad I stopped.

Ran through Heardmont Park. Had this visitor.

kingcat
07-16-2018, 04:17 PM
Id like to report my weight is more than holding its own.

Darrell KSR
07-16-2018, 04:50 PM
Id like to report my weight is more than holding its own.

lol. Weight is King, cat!

KSRBEvans
07-19-2018, 02:24 PM
Mine is nowhere near as bad as yours. Not in the same hemisphere. I just got a bunch of other unrelated **** going on. Your issues actually do make me feel somewhat lucky, and I'm actually sorry about that because I certain would not wish what is going on with you upon anybody

I wouldn't wish what I was immediately post-accident on my worst enemy, but I'm a lot better now. I walk with a walker pushed at a constant rate in front of me, and I make pretty good time--my therapist timed me for 2 minutes a couple of weeks ago and I walked about 350 feet in that time. So while I wish I were walking on my own*, I know it's right around the corner. I'm getting stronger every week and I have an awesome physical therapist who zeroes in on whatever looks weakest right then and we work on that until it's a strength.

So I'm very lucky compared to some. Having been in physical therapy since April, I've had a chance to see fellow patients who are paralyzed, have TBI and little cognitive function, etc. There's always always somebody better off than I am, and there's somebody worse. Me, I get impatient when the little arbitrary deadlines I set for myself don't work out (I wanted to be walking on my own by July 4 and back at work by July 15--not there yet), but I feel blessed that I (a) didn't die, (b) still have my ability to think, talk and express myself and (c) have injuries that will heal in time, thanks to great support from my wife and great insurance that pays for great therapy.

*--Want to see me get misty these days? Show me something on TV that shows people walking down the street, walking on a beach, hiking--just moving around on their own. I want it so bad I can taste it. Good motivation for my exercises I do every day.)