PDA

View Full Version : Soiled Dove

CGWildcat
12-21-2016, 12:39 AM
Going by the name "Amy" this Soiled Dove spends some time outside trying to stay warm in the winter sun. #heroin #documentary #photography Roger Elliott Photography

PedroDaGr8
12-21-2016, 04:46 PM
This should be an interesting direction for you to take your craft. I think humanizing those suffering from addiction like this is important. It is easy to lose sight of them and discard their humanity, to treat them as corrupt and unable to be saved. My only advice is if you intend to photograph more addicts, keep a vial of naloxone (aka Narcan) with you, should one of your subjects OD. As a huge advocate of harm reduction, because: you can't be an ex-junkie if you are a dead junkie.

On a related topic, the movie Requiem For A Dream is a powerful movie covering the descent into full blown addiction.

CGWildcat
12-21-2016, 05:17 PM
Thanks Pedro! Great advice on the Narcan also, which I've considered doing, but not taken action on. My BFA is in Documentary Photography, which I love. I don't have to photoshop or anything! HA Amy is quite the character. Very articulate, says she comes from a family of lawyers, and probably would have been one herself. Ive spent most of this year with her, from time to time taking pics and talking, getting yelled at, asking if she "can do anything for me," apologizing to me, crying.....its been a wild ride with her. I've honestly grown an affection for her and would love to see her succeed and get off this stuff....she just laughs, and tells me I'm sweet when I've said that to her.