PDA

View Full Version : Okay, did not open the..........

suncat05
12-20-2016, 08:25 AM
alleged hacked site thread. What exactly is going on here, and what is the threat to our site here from this alleged hacker? Anyone?

PedroDaGr8
12-20-2016, 08:50 AM
alleged hacked site thread. What exactly is going on here, and what is the threat to our site here from this alleged hacker? Anyone?

That thread is safe.

The person posting is not the hacker of the site. It appears to be a white-hat (read good guy) hacker or grey-hat (neither good nor bad) hacker, notifying the forum that the site has been compromised by someone else. I thought it was a bot, but he posted again later. Basically, the first time a person would visit the site from google, it would redirect to a fake site or bad site. No clue on what the reasoning is behind the redirect but the hacker was warning that there was a flaw in the setup of the forum server. He even included instructions on how to fix it (not easy AT ALL, even for someone like CitBBN).

suncat05
12-20-2016, 09:02 AM
Okay. Thanks for the insight, Pedro. I was curious, but wasn't going to invite in any more problems than what I've had already here with my Kindle.
And I still don't know what CBBN did to correct my issue here, but a heartfelt thank you is offered for his efforts.

Doc
12-21-2016, 07:47 AM
Had a bunch of pictures of naked chicks but its cleaned up for you now.

CitizenBBN
12-21-2016, 10:18 PM
PEdro it was a pain. I did luck out and the hack was in the database of one of the plugins, so resetting it cleared the problem, but had to also redo some things to prevent other intrusions.

Looked at his stuff as well as 2 others I found on google, and between all the advice I think we're OK.

The big problem is that vbulletin has a LOT of layers of PHP stuff and database stores and since I don't work with them every day I just don't remember where everything is at and how it all works. So I have to get myself back up to speed every time I do work that complex.

I need to do it anyway, I'm about to implement some changes so I had to get my sleeves rolled up regardless.