PDA

View Full Version : Friend needs a desktop PC recommendation

Darrell KSR
12-07-2016, 01:13 PM
He has a home office set up with two or three monitors, but is as computer-ignorant as anyone I've ever seen. His needs are minimal; internet, legal research, word processing, time and billing, that kind of thing.

Probably any PC would do, but he needs something that will be as reliable as the day is long. Probably the smartest thing for him to do is to invest more in software/virus/malware protection, and backups, but do you have any preliminary advice on the desktop? Brand, model, etc.?

I asked him to get me a budget first, so I'll post that later.

Darrell KSR
12-07-2016, 01:33 PM
Here's what he said

I don't want anything cheap. I'll pay for something that will last me. I've had this one over 6 years.

KentuckyWildcat
12-07-2016, 07:46 PM
Dell Enterprise level have always been great for us. I'd guess their small business series would be good as well.

Basically just don't buy a cheap one.

dan_bgblue
12-07-2016, 08:10 PM
I do not have a desktop, so take this for what it is worth as just a comment on brands. I am a huge fan of ASUS hardware. I have a ASUS laptop that is probably 7 years old. It still does everything I need it to, and honest to goodness I have not had any problems with it at all. Only thing I have done to it is add memory right after I got it. I use ESET Nod32 antivirus/spyware/malware and have since day one. Never had anything get thru it and the windows defender that came with the Win 7 OS.

CitizenBBN
12-07-2016, 10:37 PM
ASUS makes good stuff. I've been a Dell guy for a really long time, the 1980s in fact, and I'm still loyal. Get one of their higher end systems and it will work fine for him. They have a "home" category, "Business" and "enterprise".

I haven't had many of their desktops but I've had several, and with the business at least a dozen laptops, and very few have ever given up. They become useless by being so dated before they stop working. I've work the keyboards out on a few, but on those you can actually see the wear in the plastic from my use before they quit. That's a lot of wear and use. Slight aside, my thumb hits the space bar in the same place over and over, and that's how you can date my laptops, by how much of a pit has been worn into that spot. You can feel it, no joke.

So if these things can hold up to me, who uses them as a lunch and dinner mat for years on end, they'll last for this guy. lol.

There are other good brands out there though. I've just had good luck with Dell so I stick with them. Honestly I buy most of them 2nd hand for everyday office use, even the laptop I'm on now was a refurb. Would have cost me $2+K new, got it for about $800 as a refurb year old model.

PedroDaGr8
12-08-2016, 11:10 AM
ASUS makes good stuff. I've been a Dell guy for a really long time, the 1980s in fact, and I'm still loyal. Get one of their higher end systems and it will work fine for him. They have a "home" category, "Business" and "enterprise".

I haven't had many of their desktops but I've had several, and with the business at least a dozen laptops, and very few have ever given up. They become useless by being so dated before they stop working. I've work the keyboards out on a few, but on those you can actually see the wear in the plastic from my use before they quit. That's a lot of wear and use. Slight aside, my thumb hits the space bar in the same place over and over, and that's how you can date my laptops, by how much of a pit has been worn into that spot. You can feel it, no joke.

So if these things can hold up to me, who uses them as a lunch and dinner mat for years on end, they'll last for this guy. lol.

There are other good brands out there though. I've just had good luck with Dell so I stick with them. Honestly I buy most of them 2nd hand for everyday office use, even the laptop I'm on now was a refurb. Would have cost me $2+K new, got it for about $800 as a refurb year old model.

Thirding the Dell Business/Enterprise recommendation. You pay more for them but you get a lot more in terms of quality. Plus their various warranty categories are VERY useful for systems that NEED the uptime (such as the 24h on-site repair, meaning if the computer dies they will repair it on-site within 24h on their dime).

CitizenBBN
12-09-2016, 12:33 AM
Thirding the Dell Business/Enterprise recommendation. You pay more for them but you get a lot more in terms of quality. Plus their various warranty categories are VERY useful for systems that NEED the uptime (such as the 24h on-site repair, meaning if the computer dies they will repair it on-site within 24h on their dime).

If you buy new from them you get really good support deals.

I don't b/c I tend to buy used and refurb, but I can repair and I have enough backup gear that I'm generally OK.

KentuckyWildcat
12-09-2016, 11:41 AM
We tried everything back in the day. And maybe things have changed, but Dell has been good to us so we stick with them. Support form HP, Gateway, Acer, others just sucked....Dell just seemed to be the best and had good service.

I generically tell individuals that they need to order direct from Dell and spend at least $600 if they want something good...Seems to work pretty well for "dummy proof" advice. If they want something cheap, I tell them to go Walmart and look for a sale.

KeithKSR
12-10-2016, 12:36 PM
I've always had good luck with Dell PCs. I'm also a big proponent of getting as much RAM and storage space as possible as well. My Dell desktop is like ten years old, still works well.