PDA

View Full Version : Life of Pie

bigsky
11-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Movie theme of the weekend. Huckleberry for breakfast... Like a much more flavorful blueberry...pecan, pumpkin, and some i miss from days gone by, sweet potato, mincemeat, and my most personal favorite, coconut custard.

You?

Catfan73
11-23-2012, 11:54 AM
I made a couple of peanut butter pies for Thanksgiving, but I think my favorite is pecan. Mincemeat seems to have gone the way of fruitcake. You hardly ever see it anymore, but when it's good, it's very good.

jazyd
11-23-2012, 01:04 PM
I didn't get one darn pie at my house, none. wife and daughter decided on something else, but I really wanted a homemade pecan pie, or pumpkins pie, or that peanut butter pie catfan talkeda bout, cocunut custard would have been great, chocolate pie, coconut cream pie. Just any stupid darn pie, it was Thanksgiving, you are supposed to have pie.

dan_bgblue
11-23-2012, 02:47 PM
We made an old fashioned deep dish apple pie and 2 chess pies yesterday morning to take to the gathering. Both recipes inherited from my Grandmother, a true southern cook. (have to use lard in the crust, and pie sell, no vegetable shortening would do for Grandma) My personal favorite is coconut cream pie, and wouldn't you know it, there was not one in sight yesterday.:sad0119:

MickintheHam
11-23-2012, 03:08 PM
We made an old fashioned deep dish apple pie and 2 chess pies yesterday morning to take to the gathering. Both recipes inherited from my Grandmother, a true southern cook. (have to use lard in the crust, and pie sell, no vegetable shortening would do for Grandma) My personal favorite is coconut cream pie, and wouldn't you know it, there was not one in sight yesterday.:sad0119:
My mother made the best Chess Pie I ever tasted. The only pie she made better than the chess was her lemon meringue. The lemon flavor was perfect and she would take a meat platter and hand beat the egg whites into giant peaks. I wish I had gotten her recipes before she died.

bigsky
11-23-2012, 03:19 PM
My wife makes a lemon chess for my birthday. It's an old Morton's Gap recipe. But a perfect almost jelly-like chess under a layer of pecans is hard to beat. I'm still looking for that perfect coconut custard recipe.

suncat05
11-23-2012, 03:53 PM
No pie here either, darn it! Usually my wife will make a chocolate pecan pie, but wasn't able to this year for some reason. Hmmmm.......maybe because I didn't ask for it, maybe?
I'll have to rectify that situation at Christmas. And no coconut pies of any sort here either, because I'm allergic to coconut now. Used to eat lots and lots of Mounds bars when I was a kid growing up, but found out while I was in the Army that I have allergies to some different things, coconut being one of them. Extremely rare too, as I understand it, maybe just a handful of people in the enitre world allergic to it. And naturally, I would have to be one of the chosen few..........go figure, huh? :sad0119:

ShoesSwayedBlue
11-23-2012, 04:01 PM
I almost single handedly wrecked a chess pie yesterday. It was a struggle, but I perservered. :happy0005:

jazyd
11-23-2012, 10:06 PM
You guys are really ticking me off.

SalsaKat
11-23-2012, 10:44 PM
My wife made her late Ma (grandmother)'s transparent pie. Buttery, sugary deliciousness.

blueboss
11-25-2012, 12:43 PM
^^ what is this transparent pie you speak of? Sounds delicious .

Our gathering included my wife's nieces coconut cream pie which is the best I've ever had including my grandmothers. I've been asking for chess pie but still haven't gotten one.

Darrell KSR
11-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Chess pie....yum....I will have to remember to ask my wife to make that for Christmas. If I don't remember to ask her, it doesn't get made.

We had something new we haven't had before, and it was quite good- "pumpkin roll," I think it is called. Basically pumpkin bread with cream cheese icing infused in the middle of it. It's fresh basked loaf of pumpkin bread, just with the cream cheese icing kicker.

Delicious. We had two loaves, and the first one is gone, and we're into the second one already.

Darrell KSR
11-25-2012, 06:26 PM
My wife made her late Ma (grandmother)'s transparent pie. Buttery, sugary deliciousness.

Would love to hear more about this...sounds intriguing.

CitizenBBN
11-25-2012, 06:27 PM
My wife makes a lemon chess for my birthday. It's an old Morton's Gap recipe. But a perfect almost jelly-like chess under a layer of pecans is hard to beat. I'm still looking for that perfect coconut custard recipe.

Missy's Pie Shop here makes a dang good one. I"ll try to extract the recipe from them.

Had an awesome cheesecake made with pumpkin in it as well. It was fabulous and I don't like sweets much at all.

My grandmother would make the family recipe coconut cake. Everyone who's had it thinks it's the best cake ever. My mom has managed to do it from the recipe, and I need to now learn.

blueboss
11-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Would love to hear more about this...sounds intriguing.

I was interested as well

http://www.recipelink.com/cookbooks/2005/1893062740_2.html

sounds easy enough for me to make (buy crust)

Darrell KSR
11-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Ooh, love the idea of that transparent pie recipe. I could even try that myself.

jazyd
11-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Finally got some pie, walked across the parking lot yesterday to our Beagle Bagel place and got a huge piece of chocolate cream pie. Ate it all myself, did not share with anyone.

Lfbj00
11-29-2012, 03:12 AM
I definitely got in on this one too late. Mother-in-law made a Chocolate Pie for whomever, a Chess Pie for my 11 year old son (who put a hurtin on it), and for her favorite son-in-law, she made a home made Carrot Cake. The woman makes the best damn carrot cake ever!!!