PDA

View Full Version : Supermoon December 2016: When, Where & How to See It

Krank
12-05-2016, 04:06 PM
"The third and final installment of this supermoon trifecta will be on Tuesday, Dec. 13. The moon will reach peak fullness at 7:05 p.m. EST (0005 GMT on Dec. 14), but it will appear full to the casual observer the night before and after the main event. The online Virtual Telescope Project will host a webcast featuring live views of the supermoon starting at 11 a.m. EST (1600 GMT) on Dec. 13.

December's full moon falls on the same night as the peak of the Geminid meteor shower, and unfortunately for skywatchers, that will mean poor meteor-viewing conditions."

http://www.space.com/34515-supermoon-guide.html

badrose
12-05-2016, 05:54 PM
Thanks. I've been enjoying these. I thought the first was better (bigger) than the one we had last month.

Krank
12-05-2016, 07:01 PM
Thanks. I've been enjoying these. I thought the first was better (bigger) than the one we had last month.

My pleasure.

It may depend on when you see it and other atmospheric factors.

This one is not going to be as big as November's, but it will be the last one for a while.

BTW, I saw a shooting star (very small meteor) tonight. Just looked up and it seemed REALLY close, like one strand of a descending stream of a large fireworks burst, but without sound.

Love those little surprises.

CitizenBBN
12-05-2016, 07:29 PM
BTW, I saw a shooting star (very small meteor) tonight. Just looked up and it seemed REALLY close, like one strand of a descending stream of a large fireworks burst, but without sound.

Love those little surprises.

The little ones are fine. It's when their big brother shows up we're going to have problems.

Krank
12-05-2016, 09:38 PM
The little ones are fine. It's when their big brother shows up we're going to have problems.

That's why I appreciate the little pretty ones while I can, man.

I can come up with plenty of reasons for while we are all doomed though.

Your example would be one of them.

dan_bgblue
12-06-2016, 05:03 PM
I do not want to be within 100 miles of a basketball sized one.

KentuckyWildcat
12-06-2016, 08:55 PM

If my oldest continues to like the moon so much, I see a telescope purchase in the future.

MickintheHam
12-15-2016, 08:19 AM
Krank, I truly enjoy these type threads. Thank you. The spirit of Wasley S lives in your soul.

I must share my experience with the Super Moon this morning. My home's master suite runs from the front elevation to the rear. Front essentially faces east. As my lot is heavily wooded I have no blinds to cover the windows.

At just after four this morning, I was awakened by the supermoon shining down brightly on the bed from the western sky. I just lay there looking at the moon up over my head. A halo surrounded it. After a minute or two I sat up and there below the house was the moon fully reflected off of the river. I sat there for about 10 minutes watching the show. I went back to sleep.

Just after 6 this morning I was awakened by a very bright orange sky out the front window serving as a backdrop to the black tree trunks. The contrast of the rising sun and the trunks was amazing. It looked as though the sky was on fire. It was the brightest sunrise I can ever recall.

Although I didn't have a telescope, I certainly enjoyed the celestial show.

KentuckyWildcat
12-15-2016, 12:43 PM
The moon was really neat the other night. I think it was the Tuesday supermoon (might have been Monday)? I was driving home a different route and I guess the moon was higher on the horizon than usual or I wasn't going as north as I thought? But I was driving directly toward it. Pretty drive home.

Krank
12-15-2016, 02:55 PM
Krank, I truly enjoy these type threads. Thank you. The spirit of Wasley S lives in your soul.

I must share my experience with the Super Moon this morning. My home's master suite runs from the front elevation to the rear. Front essentially faces east. As my lot is heavily wooded I have no blinds to cover the windows.

At just after four this morning, I was awakened by the supermoon shining down brightly on the bed from the western sky. I just lay there looking at the moon up over my head. A halo surrounded it. After a minute or two I sat up and there below the house was the moon fully reflected off of the river. I sat there for about 10 minutes watching the show. I went back to sleep.

Just after 6 this morning I was awakened by a very bright orange sky out the front window serving as a backdrop to the black tree trunks. The contrast of the rising sun and the trunks was amazing. It looked as though the sky was on fire. It was the brightest sunrise I can ever recall.

Although I didn't have a telescope, I certainly enjoyed the celestial show.

My pleasure Mick.

Sounds like you have an EXCELLENT set up on your property to view celestial events. It's been years since I lived truly "out in the country" so I still get too much city/town lights inhibiting a clearer view of the sky. Still, the Supermoons are doable.

MickintheHam
12-15-2016, 08:37 PM
My pleasure Mick.

Sounds like you have an EXCELLENT set up on your property to view celestial events. It's been years since I lived truly "out in the country" so I still get too much city/town lights inhibiting a clearer view of the sky. Still, the Supermoons are doable.
Oh I'm in a planned development right here in the Heart of Hoover. But for a suburban community it is pretty nice.