PDA

View Full Version : Winter Beach Trip

KentuckyWildcat
12-03-2016, 07:20 PM
Trying to talk the wife into a beach trip while she is out on medical leave. So far, I'm not having any luck...but...I'm still trying.

We have not been the north side of the east coast of Florida. Thinking about Amelia Island, St. Augustine, or maybe a little farther south. I went to Daytona every year growing up, so I want to stay north of Daytona.

Also thought about Mexico Beach, east of Panama City.

This is a bucket list trip if we go, so Gulf Shores, Daytona, Sarasota, and most of South Carolina and Georgia are out of the equation.

Suggestions for those areas?

KSRBEvans
12-03-2016, 07:39 PM
This one's WAY south but Mrs. BEvans and I were kicking around going to Cancun over Christmas. Found a decent deal for air + 4 nights at a place in Isla Mujeres but I think we're going to pass, tempting as it is.

KentuckyWildcat
12-03-2016, 07:44 PM
We will have to drive. With a 2 year old and 2+ month old by that time. So we have keep it around a 10 hour drive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

dan_bgblue
12-03-2016, 08:32 PM
St Augustine is a very worthwhile destination. There is a ton of stuff to see in the town, plus the beach was very nice when we were there several years ago

edited to add that you will have to do a canonball run to make in 10 hours though. Probably closer to 12.5 hours traveling with family unless you travel at night and let them sleep for most of the trip. Do that and 10.5 is doable

KentuckyWildcat
12-03-2016, 09:21 PM
Night time is the only way to travel :) I'm curious at what age I'll be when I longer feel that way???

I realize that 10 hours may now be 15 hours with 2 kids. Probably split it up over 2 days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

blueboss
12-04-2016, 02:48 AM
Me and the Mrs. have traveled the NE side quite a bit. Amelia Island is one of our favorite spots. In fact I wouldn't mind settling there when I get ready to settle.

We've also stayed just a wee bit south of St Augustine at Crystal Beach several times.It's close enough to St. Augustine if you want to do the historic district but out of the hustle and bustle of being in town.

I can expound on either area if you're interested. Plenty of stuff to do and great eateries in both locals. Or both offer great beaches to to hang on, but the ocean can be a bit rowdy in the winter months, plus depending on when you go it can be cool being that far north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PedroDaGr8
12-04-2016, 08:28 AM
If you want something that is very rustic (at least it was the last time I was there). St. George Island/Appalachicola area is part of the "forgotten coast" part of Florida. Had a great time in some really local areas and none of hte places we visited was crowded at all. It is near Tallahassee but because there is no direct interstate to it, it gets overlooked a lot.

dan_bgblue
12-04-2016, 10:34 AM
these comments from boss, need to be noted as they are very true. 3 to 6 foot breaking waves right up to the beach are not uncommon December thru the end of March

but the ocean can be a bit rowdy in the winter months, plus depending on when you go it can be cool being that far north.

Catfan73
12-04-2016, 12:18 PM
Love the quaintness of Appalachicola, and there's a couple of really good restaurants there. There's not much really special about Mexico Beach in my opinion except it's got that squeaky white sand and it's not real touristy. I haven't been to Fernandina In probably 30 years but I have good memories of it being a taste of the old south.

KentuckyWildcat
12-04-2016, 05:23 PM
these comments from boss, need to be noted as they are very true. 3 to 6 foot breaking waves right up to the beach are not uncommon December thru the end of March

Did not realize the waves were so big during that season. Thankfully, I was thinking east coast during the winter since the normal waves are really too big for my oldest anyway. I miss the bigger waves as we tend to stay on the Gulf side more now.