PDA

View Full Version : Laser sights for a pistol

Darrell KSR
12-01-2016, 12:46 PM
I have a Smith and Wesson 39-2 9mm that I'd like to put a laser sight on, and was wondering what possible options are out there.

It doesn't need to be elaborate, but reasonably priced, and not junk. I know there is a lot of junk out there trying to pass itself off as legitimate laser sights, and I want to avoid that--but this isn't the weapon I want to fully equip with the latest and greatest (and priciest), either.

Any Volkswagen budget lasers out there for this one? Would love something simple enough I could do myself as well. Despite the name of this article, it will probably not be a carry weapon generally.

KSRBEvans
12-01-2016, 01:07 PM
Mrs. BEvans and I are just starting to look at getting our first concealed carry pistol, so I can't give you any personal recommendation. But a friend who took us out shooting recommended the Crimson Trace if we wanted to add a laser sight later. Have you looked at those? Highly rated on Amazon, FWIW.

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_14?url=search-alias%3Dsports-and-fitness&field-keywords=crimson+trace+rail+master&sprefix=crimson+trace+%2Caps%2C198&crid=22NZNUGYP4KM7&rh=i%3Asports-and-fitness%2Ck%3Acrimson+trace+rail+master

Darrell KSR
12-01-2016, 01:46 PM
Thanks--I thought all the Crimson Trace laser sights were like $200-300. There were a couple there that looked pretty good for under $100. I know they have a great name.

CitizenBBN
12-01-2016, 06:39 PM
I was going to recommend Crimson Trace. IMO they're the top choice.

The thing is, that's a 1st gen S&W semi -auto. They make grip sights for the 3rd gens, but couldn't find any for 1st or 2nd generation versions. They have generic ones that would work, but was hoping they had a custom fit grip replacement for 1st gens.

Their custom grip ones are nice. most are wraparound rubber grips with a small laser on the side on the upper part of the grip. very sleek for carry, very small, very easy to use b/c the activation is right where your fingers go on the grips.

suncat05
12-02-2016, 12:40 AM
Don't know for sure, but a LaserMax guide rod laser sight might be an option. That is if there is one available for a 9MM S&W Model 39-2. Those 1st gen S&W's don't really have a populist appeal among most handgun owners, and aside from aftermarket grips, I'm not sure there's that much out there for that model of 1st gen S&W 9's.

Personally, I would be more inclined towards the Crimson Trace laser sight, if there is one available for this particular model of S&W 9MM.

CitizenBBN
12-02-2016, 10:25 AM
Don't know for sure, but a LaserMax guide rod laser sight might be an option. That is if there is one available for a 9MM S&W Model 39-2. Those 1st gen S&W's don't really have a populist appeal among most handgun owners, and aside from aftermarket grips, I'm not sure there's that much out there for that model of 1st gen S&W 9's.

Personally, I would be more inclined towards the Crimson Trace laser sight, if there is one available for this particular model of S&W 9MM.

I love the guide rod lasers on the GLocks, works great with the way they turn the slide release into the switch.

KeithKSR
12-04-2016, 07:33 PM
This looks like a good option: http://ramlite.com/products/s-w-steel-frame-magnetic-red-laser-smith-wesson

Darrell KSR
12-06-2016, 07:13 PM
That does look good, Keith.

Thanks to all for the help.

ukblue
12-11-2016, 10:10 PM
I've got laser max's in 5 different pistols and they all worked good.

CitizenBBN
12-12-2016, 09:05 PM
I've got laser max's in 5 different pistols and they all worked good.

Gun nut. :) .

ukblue
12-14-2016, 09:53 AM
You have no idea.🙄

CitizenBBN
12-14-2016, 10:42 PM
You have no idea.

You're my kind of guy then. :)

Most of mine are technically for resale, but it at least helps me scratch that itch at the same time. lol

ukblue
12-14-2016, 11:07 PM
I get the itch to target shooting much more than I do hunting. The lasermax does do a adequate job when one first starts a set of targets. The longer I shoot the less I depend on the laser sight.