PDA

View Full Version : The MSU rundown of the game

imsoblue
11-22-2012, 07:04 AM
Kentucky Uses Big FT Advantage to Post 81-70 Win over MSU

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- The No. 8/7 Kentucky men’s basketball team knocked down 31-of-41 from the free-throw line en route to an 81-70 victory over Morehead State in front of 21,897 on Wednesday evening at Rupp Arena.

The Southeastern Conference Wildcats improve to 3-1 on the year with their 54th straight home win. The Ohio Valley Conference Eagles slip to 3-2 overall. UK also improves to 10-0 in the series and 35-0 all-time vs. the OVC.

“My guys battled tonight against a great team on their home floor,” Head Coach Sean Woods said. “We gave them everything we had, we just couldn’t hold on. You have to tip your hat to Kentucky for finding a way to win.”

Kentucky freshman Archie Goodwin led all scorers with 28 points on 8-of-13 from the field and 12-of-17 from the free-throw line, while classmate Alex Poythress added 20 on 6-of-12 from the floor and 8-of-8 from the charity stripe.

Morehead State was whistled for 32 fouls in the contest, while Kentucky committed just 12 infractions. The Eagles have now been called for 127 fouls through five games this season, while their opponents have committed just 70.( I high lighted this sentence for all the haters who call Rupp Arena "Corrupt Arena", MSU has averaged 24.5 fouls for 5 games and their opponents just 14. Last nights game fell right into the average margin of fouls for MSU and their opponets.)(So shut up your mouth.)ISB

Senior Milton Chavis paced Morehead State with 23 points on 9-of-15 shooting, including 3-of-5 from beyond the arc. Junior Maurice Lewis-Briggs added 13 on 5-of-10 from the field, while classmate Drew Kelly contributed 10.

“I’m proud of my team's effort as we continue to grow on this new journey,” Woods said. “We’re not there yet, but I like where we’re going. I can’t say enough about the effort and passion they brought tonight against Kentucky.”

Kentucky connected on 51 percent (24-of-47) overall, while Morehead State drilled just 37 percent (25-of-68) for the night. The Wildcats managed a 40-28 advantage in the paint, but the Eagles tallied a 29-4 upper hand off the bench.

Kentucky opened the affair with six quick points, but Morehead State answered with a 16-0 run to build a double-figure lead midway through the first period. With the help of 14 charity tosses, UK held a 32-31 lead at intermission.

Morehead State led by six points on two occasions in the second half, but Kentucky chipped away at the deficit to knot the tilt at 48-all with 13:28 to play. From there, the Wildcats used a 12-2 run to pad the cushion and never looked back.

The game featured six ties and eight lead changes. Morehead State’s big lead of 11 came at the 6:11 mark of the first half. Kentucky’s largest advantage of 14 points came with 3:43 remaining on the second-half clock.

Kentucky recorded an 11-1 advantage in blocked shots, thanks to six rejections by freshman Nerlens Noel. He also collected nine points, four assists, all three of his team’s steals and a game-best 11 rebounds in 35 minutes.

The Eagles committed a season-low nine turnovers, which was more than eight below their season average. Junior Jarrett Stokes added eight points for MSU and registered a game-high five assists with no turnovers.

Morehead State returns to Johnson Arena on Monday when it hosts 2012 NCAA Tournament participant Norfolk State at 7 p.m. ET. The game will be available on OVCDigitalNetwork.com and the Eagle Sports Network.

Catfan73
11-22-2012, 02:13 PM
If you can't guard 'em, foul 'em.

imsoblue
11-22-2012, 03:26 PM
A little of the Joe B. Hall karate defense.