PDA

View Full Version : Zubie in-car Wi-Fi plus?

Darrell KSR
11-03-2016, 08:57 AM
I am intrigued with this product and was wondering if anyone had ever used it or anything like it. After purchasing the device that plugs into your OBD2 port, you only have to pay $10 per month and get Verizon 4G Wi-Fi service. In addition, it provides a ton of information about the car, along with real-time location tracking. I was contemplating getting something for my teenagers cars, and this sounds like a very cost-effective solution to problems I don't even have.

Does it really work this well? Is there another less expensive car WiFi option? Does it really provide all of the services for that low cost per month? What am I missing?

I was even thinking that I could get it for their cars, and when we were going on a family trip where in car WiFi would be beneficial, I could move it from car to car. Just looks like a great device. I have to be missing something.

http://zubie.com/in-car-wifi-hotspot/

KSRBEvans
11-03-2016, 10:22 AM
No experience with it D, but I did see an Amazon comment that it could negatively impact any unlimited data plan you may have with Verizon:

https://smile.amazon.com/review/RUY9E1SAF2XRV/ref=cm_cr_dp_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B016M04QSS&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=15684181&store=automotive#wasThisHelpful

Darrell KSR
11-03-2016, 10:33 AM
T-Mobile customer here. Would like the better Verizon service for car trips!

Darrell KSR
11-03-2016, 11:49 AM
I see that you have to be a Verizon customer, which makes sense--but the $10 per month charge is a Zubie charge, which is in addition to whatever the data cost would be from Verizon.

I don't mind getting set up as a new Verizon customer, but I wonder how much it would add to the monthly bill.

PedroDaGr8
11-03-2016, 11:57 AM
It seems like this is basically just a wi-fi hotspot. The same thing you can get on all networks. Just htis one plugs into the OBD2 port for some reason (hiding?). Not really anything innovative other than an obscured charge and certainly doesn't seem like much in the way of money savings.

Darrell KSR
11-03-2016, 12:02 PM
Pedro, it plugs into the OBD II port for car information (acceleration, braking, battery monitoring, fuel monitoring, vehicle location, and a host of other information that some of us would find extremely valuable. In fact, the wi-fi part is a bonus--if it provides a hot spot for the same or cheaper price, which it seems to for existing Verizon customers, it would be a grand slam home run.)

One Verizon customer said it added $5 to his monthly bill. That beats the heck out of $30 for the T-Mobile hot spot, for example. But I don't know if a non-Verizon customer can get the same great deal or not.