PDA

View Full Version : Catcher's Gear Questions

baseballdad
11-01-2016, 11:21 AM
Hi, quick question about the rules regarding my son’s catcher's equipment. I was wondering about the difference between the full, hockey-style mask and the old-school style that goes over the skull cap. I recently purchased the facemask style that goes over the skull cap for my son who has recently picked up catching a big way. I got him this this mask but a few of the parents at our workouts have made comments about some regulations or rules I was unaware of. In my nervousness, I just ordered this mask as well that looks a lot safer but I know it doesn't have that cool pro look my son wants. Should I bring both with me just in case? Or does anyone know how this aspect of the game is governed? Anything helps!

Darrell KSR
11-01-2016, 11:30 AM
His age, and the league he plays in will have a rule book with an equipment section. It will have things like length and weight of bats, material, and will include catcher's equipment as well.

Most equipment that is sold will also have labels or descriptions that state it is approved for "X League." You have to have the approved equipment or it won't be permitted.

Usually the team has the catcher's equipment, though, and the player (or his Dad) doesn't have to purchase it himself.

KSRBEvans
11-01-2016, 11:36 AM
Agreed with Darrell on your league's specific rules.

As to fit and comfort, EWTNAPPEL's son played catcher up through college recently and can probably speak to those issues.

I was a catcher at the D-III level and also umpired at the American Legion level, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and they didn't have the hockey-style masks yet. I've tried them on and they seem to provide much better protection, but I think I'd have a hard time adjusting from the old-style masks. If I were just starting out and didn't have to adjust I think it would work well for a youth catcher who's just learning the game.

PedroDaGr8
11-01-2016, 02:48 PM
Pretty certain this is a test post by a spam bot. That or a failed spam bot post.

blueboss
11-01-2016, 03:17 PM
Since this has some play, I posted on the last post wins thread, but I need a gently used left handed baseball glove so I can play catch with my grandson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KSRBEvans
11-01-2016, 03:22 PM
Pretty certain this is a test post by a spam bot. That or a failed spam bot post.

Interesting. Deceptively normal. The bots are getting more lifelike.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/6b/af/a0/6bafa091c356d00f94e5db2550f1822e.jpg

PedroDaGr8
11-01-2016, 03:28 PM
The post now has links in it. Traditional spam bot behavior. I am almost 100% certain it didn't have links when I was looking at it before.

Darrell KSR
11-01-2016, 06:55 PM
Spambot advertising sporting goods equipment? At least they're doing it right this time (and picked the right forum.)

Good job....