PDA

View Full Version : Home Security Systems

KSRdallen
10-25-2016, 07:10 PM
I've been searching for some objective reviews and rankings for these and have only been able to identify sites that have advertising relationships with these companies. We've got Monitronics now (just changed their name to Moni) and had a local company before where we used to live.

I would lean toward a monitored system, which we have now, but would be willing to go with a stand alone if others have positive experiences. I hate the monthly fees, but it seems a safe choice to have things monitored.

Any insights?

KentuckyWildcat
10-25-2016, 07:56 PM
Debated this myself, but then the two cops I work with often tell me these are fairly useless from their perspective. Will be interested to see if Suncat chimes in.

I would like to have something to buzz and call me.

KSRdallen
10-25-2016, 08:11 PM
I like the idea that it buzzes and calls me as well. Wonder if Pedro has thoughts on this. Hope there's some expertise here.

KentuckyWildcat
10-25-2016, 09:52 PM
If you have a spare cell phone or two laying around. There is a neat app called Presence that turns your phone into a security camera. It is pretty neat. It will email you when motion is detected. It is pretty good for free.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

KSRdallen
10-26-2016, 05:21 AM
If you have a spare cell phone or two laying around. There is a neat app called Presence that turns your phone into a security camera. It is pretty neat. It will email you when motion is detected. It is pretty good for free.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I downloaded the App and will give it a try. Thanks!

Darrell KSR
10-26-2016, 10:38 AM
https://www.getkuna.com/why-kuna/?utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=lookalike&utm_medium=cpc

Darrell KSR
10-26-2016, 10:58 AM
David, check out that Kuna light. I really like it, and want somebody to buy it and try it before I do :).

It's not your whole house solution, but man--it does some incredible things.

suncat05
10-26-2016, 03:56 PM
Debated this myself, but then the two cops I work with often tell me these are fairly useless from their perspective. Will be interested to see if Suncat chimes in.

I would like to have something to buzz and call me.

Get a big, mean ass Rottweiler!

KSRdallen
10-26-2016, 04:15 PM
David, check out that Kuna light. I really like it, and want somebody to buy it and try it before I do :).

It's not your whole house solution, but man--it does some incredible things.

Looks interesting, D. I've seen doorbells that have the same idea. If I get one, I'll let you know but I'm not currently in the market. :)

KSRdallen
10-26-2016, 04:16 PM

Do three ferocious Shih-Tzu's equal one Rottweiler? :)

suncat05
10-26-2016, 05:08 PM
Do three ferocious Shih-Tzu's equal one Rottweiler? :)

:sHa_dielaughing:

KentuckyWildcat
10-26-2016, 05:39 PM

I have two mutts that will definitely get your attention. Only problem is that you don't know if they are attacking a person, coyote, or turtle...

Darrell KSR
10-26-2016, 06:40 PM

KentuckyWildcat
10-27-2016, 08:45 AM
I've thought about SimpliSafe, but my previous boss was a not fan of it. However, we often had different views on things, so I probably need to investigate it myself.

Friend of mine installed his own. It was DSC (?), he has been happy with it. You can set it to call numbers, but you need a landline for what he has. I don't have a landline so...