PDA

View Full Version : Look Up — The Moon Is Going To Be Amazing This Weekend

Krank
10-15-2016, 07:58 PM
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/10/15/498081878/look-up-the-moon-is-going-to-be-amazing-this-weekend

dan_bgblue
10-15-2016, 08:58 PM
It is as clear as a bell here, and I have been snapping shots of it during time outs in the ball games. Have 20 mins now to get a nice time lapse set. Moon is bright as heck and although I know it is not, it looks a lot bigger than normal

Krank
10-15-2016, 09:25 PM
It is as clear as a bell here, and I have been snapping shots of it during time outs in the ball games. Have 20 mins now to get a nice time lapse set. Moon is bright as heck and although I know it is not, it looks a lot bigger than normal

From the article...

"Since the moon's orbit is elliptical, one side (perigee) is about 30,000 miles closer to Earth than the other (apogee)," NASA says. "The word syzygy, in addition to being useful in word games, is the scientific name for when the Earth, sun and moon line up as the moon orbits Earth. When perigee-syzygy of the Earth-moon-sun system occurs and the moon is on the opposite side of the Earth from the sun, we get a perigee moon or more commonly, a supermoon."

Also...

This kicks off three straight months of supermoons — you can also catch them on Nov. 14 and Dec. 14.

The November moon is set to be a real show-stopper: According to NASA, it is "not only the closest full moon of 2016 but also the closest full moon to date in the 21st century." And it won't be this close to Earth again until 2034.

dan_bgblue
10-15-2016, 09:49 PM
Well it is 12% closer than at it's furthest away, but "it appears" to be much more than that.

CitizenBBN
10-15-2016, 11:48 PM
As long as Gru doesn't steal it we'll be OK.

I do enjoy watching the moon on a nice night.

KentuckyWildcat
10-16-2016, 12:37 PM
We roasted hot dogs and s'mores last night, could not have asked for a better night. My little girl loves the moon so she really enjoyed it.

Darrell KSR
10-16-2016, 12:46 PM
Well it is 12% closer than at it's furthest away, but "it appears" to be much more than that.

Well, for those of us who have told a loved one we love them to the moon and back, I guess our love is diminishing a little now, isn't it?

dan_bgblue
10-16-2016, 01:03 PM
Based on this image, the 12% is much more obvious than I would have imagined. Darrell just wait until the end of this month and your promise will be as big as ever.

http://en.es-static.us/upl/2015/09/supermoon-perigee-full-moon-apogee-2011-CB-Devgun-e1443385165239.jpg

Darrell KSR
10-16-2016, 01:30 PM
That is a very cool picture.

Krank
10-16-2016, 04:35 PM
Best view of the weekend, weather permitting in your locale, is tonight at moonrise.

Then, November 14th will be at it's best for the year and then one more on Dec. 14th.

KentuckyWildcat
10-16-2016, 04:45 PM
Krank, if you follow this stuff a lot I would appreciate the posts anytime. It is one of those things that I don't I follow but enjoy viewing. Our previous astronomy teacher used to email us often with various nuggets about the moon, stars, comets, etc...our current astronomy teacher does not do this as often.

edit: Krank or anyone else on here

Krank
10-16-2016, 04:51 PM
Krank, if you follow this stuff a lot I would appreciate the posts anytime. It is one of those things that I don't I follow but enjoy viewing. Our previous astronomy teacher used to email us often with various nuggets about the moon, stars, comets, etc...our current astronomy teacher does not do this as often.

edit: Krank or anyone else on here

I love Astronomy.

Now, even though I do dig the instant gratification of our Moon, I get even more jazzed the further out one goes. They are discovering amazing things, practically by the day, and that will continue to increase in frequency once the James Webb Telescope and others are launched. They'll make Hubble, which has been an INCREDIBLE mission over it's years in service, look like legos next to the Great Pyramid.

Okay, that might be too dramatic, lol, but I wanted to tell you that, even though I will try to remember to post more topics like this Hunter's Moon thread, you can find this stuff right on major homepages like Yahoo, etc.

Just an easy tip FWIW.

edited to add... I meant to imply that "Supermoons", Harvest Moons, etc. are most common on Yahoo type front pages... probably Meteor shower topics too... the more out there stuff might be harder to find, but again, I will get some variety posted and you can feast on it, lol.