PDA

View Full Version : AR9

KentuckyWildcat
10-09-2016, 11:59 AM
Been wanting an AR style rifle. But I really don't want 223 or 556 ammo.

Thought about the AR9? Been thinking about a 7-10 in barrel with SB15 pistol grip "stock".

Thoughts?

KentuckyWildcat
10-09-2016, 12:19 PM
16 inch barrel has crossed my mind also.

KeithKSR
10-09-2016, 04:27 PM
I'm hoping to go the AR15 route before the election.

KentuckyWildcat
10-09-2016, 05:02 PM
I've been thinking basic M&P AR15 and the AR9. The AR15, really just because. I'd like to have one, but don't want a lot of different types of ammo. I think the AR9 would be more fun.

But starting to lean to just the AR9.

wes011
10-10-2016, 10:09 PM
I have a DPMS Panther AR15 RFA2 AP4A carbine (http://www.dpmsinc.com/AP4-CARBINE_ep_102-1.html). I chose it over the AR9 due to being a more accurate weapon at longer ranges. Still love my choice.

CitizenBBN
10-10-2016, 10:16 PM
9mm is a joy to shoot in a rifle. the utter lack of recoil means you stay right on target, though the 223 isn't much on recoil either, one of the big plusses of the AR15 platform.

I don't have an AR9 but I do have an Uzi, and it's the sweetest shooting gun I own. I highly recommend them and I'm betting the AR9 is in a similar vein.

Of course the downside is you are shooting 9mm in a rifle, so you don't have the overall power of a 223 or 7.62, you just don't. I'm not giving up my Uzi, but it doesn't have the stopping power of a larger caliber. Which is in part why the Israelis moved to a different platform despite the Uzi being a super reliable and easily handled weapon.

KentuckyWildcat
10-11-2016, 11:58 AM
I have the 7.62 that I use for coyotes, although the 223 or 556 might be better for those. I already have the SKS so I'm keeping it.

The AR9 would mostly be my toy that I would shoot for fun. Although I don't do that very often. But with the 9mm round, I can buy ammo in bulk with a buddy at work and shoot both the AR9 and my Shield. So I'm probably leaning this way unless someone here changes my mind. I would really only be buying the AR15 out of fear of them being banned and having it for just that reason.

suncat05
10-11-2016, 02:35 PM
If the old hag wins, the prices will skyrocket, and after some time they may not be obtainable anymore.

bigsky
10-11-2016, 04:32 PM
If the old hag wins, the prices will skyrocket, and after some time they may not be obtainable anymore. buying

KeithKSR
10-11-2016, 06:38 PM
I've been thinking basic M&P AR15 and the AR9. The AR15, really just because. I'd like to have one, but don't want a lot of different types of ammo. I think the AR9 would be more fun.

But starting to lean to just the AR9.

Got my eye on the M&P 15. They have received great reviews, and come with both the fixed front site and the fold down rear site. Rural King has them for $619 now. http://www.rkguns.com/smith-wesson-m-p15-sport-ii.html Bud's has them for $649. https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2084_36_763_977/products_id/4997/S&W+M&P+15+SPORT+II+.2235.56+16%22+AS+BLK+30

KeithKSR
10-11-2016, 06:46 PM
I have a DPMS Panther AR15 RFA2 AP4A carbine (http://www.dpmsinc.com/AP4-CARBINE_ep_102-1.html). I chose it over the AR9 due to being a more accurate weapon at longer ranges. Still love my choice.

Rural King had a bunch of the DPMS Oracles in stock at $549, but doesn't come with a fixed front site. What kind of price point does the RFa2 AP4A have? It appears to come with the fixed fron site and the folding rear site like the M&P has.

KentuckyWildcat
10-11-2016, 07:19 PM
Got my eye on the M&P 15. They have received great reviews, and come with both the fixed front site and the fold down rear site. Rural King has them for $619 now. http://www.rkguns.com/smith-wesson-m-p15-sport-ii.html Bud's has them for $649. https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2084_36_763_977/products_id/4997/S&W+M&P+15+SPORT+II+.2235.56+16%22+AS+BLK+30

Good to hear. If I get one, it will probably be the M&P.

wes011
10-11-2016, 09:03 PM
Keith - the DPMS RFA2 AP4A has some upgraded parts in it. I bought mine back in 2012 when you couldn't find them and paid right at $1000 for it. I want to say the best price I have seen for this model is about $900. I also have an Eotech red dot that I need to mount. I. Doing so I'll probably take off the carry handle and change out the iron sights to the flip up sights.

KeithKSR
10-11-2016, 10:04 PM
Keith - the DPMS RFA2 AP4A has some upgraded parts in it. I bought mine back in 2012 when you couldn't find them and paid right at $1000 for it. I want to say the best price I have seen for this model is about $900. I also have an Eotech red dot that I need to mount. I. Doing so I'll probably take off the carry handle and change out the iron sights to the flip up sights.

Checked out some of the usual suspects, can't find that model available.

There are lots of good prices on AR15 variants right now. I'm afraid come November they won't be this plentiful or this cheap.

wes011
10-11-2016, 10:24 PM
I found mine at Shooter's Supply in Louisville. Like you I was afraid I wouldn't be able to find one when I bought mine. I walked in and they had 3 and the store was crazy packed with people. Two black ones and one Diva model. The only reason why I was able to get my hands on one is because I was looking at the Springfield rifle, looked up and asked how it compared to the AR15. The sales associate by passed the line so I could compare the two side by side and ended up buying the lighter rifle.

suncat05
10-14-2016, 03:35 PM
Let's play "future apocalyptic scenario" here for a minute.

Everything in society starts falling to pieces. You need to choose the most common weapons needed to survive the situation. One handgun caliber, one rifle caliber, and a third caliber choice. What do you choose?

I would choose these three calibers and weapons: 1)handgun caliber 9 mm; 2)rifle caliber. 223 or 5.56 mm; 3)12 gauge shotgun w/00 buck.
Why those choices, you ask? 9 mm is the most abundant handgun caliber available. .223 or 5.56 mm is here in this country the most abundant and available rifle caliber; 12 gauge shotgun is easily the most devastating close range weapon available and is also abundantly available.
You can use any of these caliber weapons (or any others, realistically, for that matter) to find your way to picking up other weapons as you and time go along. And there should be plenty as time moves along. And when you find a weapon beside a body, you either 1)take possession of it and whatever ammunition is with it, or 2)field strip it or otherwise disable it so that it can't be used against you or again.
All of this is contingent upon circumstances, of course.

Anyone with any different ideas? And if so, why?

And I purposefully left out the food, water & shelter aspects of this for later discussion.

Darrell KSR
10-14-2016, 04:41 PM
.45 caliber handgun, 16 gauge shotgun, .38 revolver.

Why?

Because they're in my house now. :) Not perfect, but at least it's something.

I chose the .38 revolver over my 9mm, although I prefer to shoot the 9mm. I was concerned about reliability issues that might exist and felt the .38 would last through anything. I feel similarly for the .45 Glock. Your comment about the 9mm ammo being more available makes sense, though. If I get the G19 I want, I probably will swap the .38 revolver for the G19. But I might switch the 16 gauge shotgun. I just have a single shot, so it is of limited use. In fact, let's go ahead and make that swap now. I'll take .45, 9mm and .38 right now, and for sure if/when I get the G19. (Currently I just have an 8-shot magazine 9mm S&W 39-2, so it's not a substantial upgrade over the S&W 642 5-shot revolver with the two speed rounds I have in reserve).

Now...if I can choose from scratch?

I'd probably start with the G19 9mm, a 12-gauge pump (or automatic; I guess they're reliable enough), and a .22 bolt action rifle. I know .22 isn't a substantial caliber, but I think there would be excellent opportunities for small game hunting with it, and the right shot, any caliber is deadly. I'd want a 10-shot magazine, I guess.

If anybody wants to put anything on my wish list, I'll take a G19 and a .22 bolt action rifle, 7-shot or 10-shot mag, please?

suncat05
10-14-2016, 05:26 PM
All good choices Darrell. My choices are predicated on what I know I will most likely see, initially at least, based on military & LEO experience. As time goes on other weapons platforms would be introduced into the fray, some of which I have experience with as well.

CitizenBBN
10-14-2016, 06:00 PM
Oooo, I love this game.

Suncat is wise, going for the most popular calibers which makes for the most likely scavenging.

Right now my rifle of choice is 7.62x39mm, pretty much the 2nd most popular caliber after the .223. I should probably embrace .223 b/c it's not only more popular but the ammo weight is better, you can pack more ammo and in that scenario being able to carry more is a huge deal b/c there are no supply lines.

But the 7.62 is also very popular and there are about a billion SKSs and AKs out there as well in this part of the country, and they are dog reliable and easier to repair/maintain from scavenged stuff.

For handgun I'd go with 9mm and 38 if given the choice. I like a 38 revolver for reliability, and those are both uber popular calibers.

I'd have a tough time parting with my uzi, which is 9mm, so I might go 7.62, 9mm and 38 spl, b/c the 9mm can go handgun or in a rifle like the uzi.

But I also would have a tough time giving up 22 just for utility, and it's so much quieter. Even hunting it wouldn't pay to let people know your location.

I will say this, in the fantasy zombie scenario world: get a gun with a FRICKIN' BAYONET. Seriously all these shows they beat them with gun stocks and sticks and swords and then use ammo, but go back to the wonderful pre WWII days when you had a lot of close order combat with guns that couldn't just fire forever and you see the bayonet.

So in that world I'd have a SKS or AR with a bayonet on it.

Darrell KSR
10-14-2016, 06:15 PM
All good choices Darrell. My choices are predicated on what I know I will most likely see, initially at least, based on military & LEO experience. As time goes on other weapons platforms would be introduced into the fray, some of which I have experience with as well.
You definitely know. I would actually follow your lead, but I wouldn't feel unprepared with those either.

wes011
10-14-2016, 10:00 PM
Oooo, I love this game.

Suncat is wise, going for the most popular calibers which makes for the most likely scavenging.

Right now my rifle of choice is 7.62x39mm, pretty much the 2nd most popular caliber after the .223. I should probably embrace .223 b/c it's not only more popular but the ammo weight is better, you can pack more ammo and in that scenario being able to carry more is a huge deal b/c there are no supply lines.

But the 7.62 is also very popular and there are about a billion SKSs and AKs out there as well in this part of the country, and they are dog reliable and easier to repair/maintain from scavenged stuff.

For handgun I'd go with 9mm and 38 if given the choice. I like a 38 revolver for reliability, and those are both uber popular calibers.

I'd have a tough time parting with my uzi, which is 9mm, so I might go 7.62, 9mm and 38 spl, b/c the 9mm can go handgun or in a rifle like the uzi.

But I also would have a tough time giving up 22 just for utility, and it's so much quieter. Even hunting it wouldn't pay to let people know your location.

I will say this, in the fantasy zombie scenario world: get a gun with a FRICKIN' BAYONET. Seriously all these shows they beat them with gun stocks and sticks and swords and then use ammo, but go back to the wonderful pre WWII days when you had a lot of close order combat with guns that couldn't just fire forever and you see the bayonet.

So in that world I'd have a SKS or AR with a bayonet on it.

I like the AK variants. I don't own one but I want one. Also, completely agree. You can run them dirty all day long and not have issues. My is have any suggestions for a good AK variant?

suncat05
10-15-2016, 07:37 AM
If the old hag gets elected, there will be plenty of AK's and its variants around. And they'll be accessible. And many will be of the 'never fired, and only dropped once' variety.
And there will be plenty plenty of AK ammo and other assorted sundry items to augment its uses.

KeithKSR
10-15-2016, 08:52 PM
If the old hag gets elected, there will be plenty of AK's and its variants around. And they'll be accessible. And many will be of the 'never fired, and only dropped once' variety.
And there will be plenty plenty of AK ammo and other assorted sundry items to augment its uses.

Obama is doing his best to increase the import of AKs, complete with the Chinese and Russian shooters.

The most common available rounds theory is why I am contemplating trading my Rock Island .45 for a Smith & Wesson M&P 9.

suncat05
10-16-2016, 08:07 AM
Keith, hang on to that RI .45 ACP. It will still have big value.

bigsky
10-17-2016, 10:33 AM
I'm going out to buy three modded 10/22s one for each boy and one for me. That ties in nicely with my other rimfires.

The nine semi handgun is essential.

I'm not as much a "must have" about shotguns as the posts here, so something that shoots deer and elk and antelope and moose and et al would be important in Montana. It's not a great round, but because it's a military round and easy to reload, having a few different .308s of various types, including a semi-auto, would be my third choice.

suncat05
10-17-2016, 10:46 AM
I see that point as well, bigsky. Your local terrain is a lot different than mine down here in south Florida. So your needs are different. I fully agree.
And those. 22's will certainly be able to lead you to other items should that time ever come. Nothing wrong with a .22 LR.

bigsky
10-17-2016, 11:07 AM
I see that point as well, bigsky. Your local terrain is a lot different than mine down here in south Florida. So your needs are different. I fully agree.
And those. 22's will certainly be able to lead you to other items should that time ever come. Nothing wrong with a .22 LR.

Yes, no criticism implied or taken, my friend. I'm paying a bit more attention to semi autos this week, and the 10/22, because of its flexibility, is one of the firearms in the bulls-eye of the gun confiscators. Amazing, really, in the context of what every boy in Montana has shot. I always liked my Remington with the tube magazine but it's just not the "parts is parts" weapon that the Ruger is.

dan_bgblue
10-17-2016, 11:27 AM
I love my Remington as well, but if I were going to use a .22 cal in a battle, it would be the Ruger and 4 or 5 loaded 25 round magazines in my pockets

suncat05
10-17-2016, 12:22 PM
I love my Remington as well, but if I were going to use a .22 cal in a battle, it would be the Ruger and 4 or 5 loaded 25 round magazines in my pockets

If this was all you had to begin with it would certainly get you improved firepower. A .22LR round is accurate and can be just as deadly as any other firearm caliber in the right hands.

suncat05
10-17-2016, 12:41 PM
Yes, no criticism implied or taken, my friend. I'm paying a bit more attention to semi autos this week, and the 10/22, because of its flexibility, is one of the firearms in the bulls-eye of the gun confiscators. Amazing, really, in the context of what every boy in Montana has shot. I always liked my Remington with the tube magazine but it's just not the "parts is parts" weapon that the Ruger is.

I had an old tube fed Winchester years ago. I ended up giving it to my ex-wife's son because he looked out for me while she & I were having our issues. I have a Ruger 10-22 now and couldn't be happier with it. Simple to field strip & clean. Maintenance is simple. You cannot go wrong with it. Great choice.
I wish. 22 LR ammunition was more readily available though. And more economical like it used to be. The days of buying a 555 round brick of. 22 LR for $16 - $18 is probably long gone now.

dan_bgblue
10-17-2016, 01:34 PM
If this was all you had to begin with it would certainly get you improved firepower. A .22LR round is accurate and can be just as deadly as any other firearm caliber in the right hands.

I can put 19 rounds into a 30 gal plastic drum at 40 yards in less than ten seconds. -;) I know that is a stationary target and the target is not shooting back, but if I can put a shooting target on the ground and keep shooting till the tube is empty, I figure it will bleed out eventually.

CitizenBBN
10-17-2016, 05:42 PM
I can put 19 rounds into a 30 gal plastic drum at 40 yards in less than ten seconds. -;) I know that is a stationary target and the target is not shooting back, but if I can put a shooting target on the ground and keep shooting till the tube is empty, I figure it will bleed out eventually.

The only problem is that he's firing one of those dual mount Ruger things they had in the 80s. :)

https://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImages/5133/909666944/wm_md_6294254.jpg

lol.

I LOVE my 10/22.. I just passed on a takedown model that is really sweet. All stainless, the barrel snaps into the receiver, comes in a carry pouch. Super slick.

I love 22s generally, but yes the 10.22 is the most versatile gun maybe ever. It's the 70s muscle car of the gun world, where you can take it and make it all your own with more mods than you could count.

bigsky
10-18-2016, 12:08 AM
Saw that and wondered how much more utlity I'd have over the stubby with the 16.5" barrel. It's a toss in the truck, with familiar pistol type sights gopher shooter.

I like the stainless sporter, 22" barrel and I'm looking for two.