PDA

View Full Version : PSA for cord-cutter consideration - Xioami Mi Box + 5 months Sling TV + more $79

Darrell KSR
10-08-2016, 12:05 PM
I think I have this right.

The Mi Box is supposed to be kick-ass better than Chromecast, Roku, etc.

I just switched to cable and will keep it at least a year, so I don't think I will do this right now, but it seems a great deal.

5 months of sling tv + $5 Vudu credit + 3 Vudu movies+ 3 months Pandora 1 + xiaomi mi box-$79 @walmart.com (retail $200+)

Details:

http://slickdeals.net/f/9172991-5-months-of-sling-tv-5-vudu-credit-3-vudu-movies-3-months-pandora-1-xiaomi-mi-box-79-walmart-com-retail-200?sdxt07=0&p=90095987&utm_source=dealalerts&utm_medium=em-i&utm_term=111880&utm_content=u5775167&utm_campaign=tu4&src=da_si_v2_19214123

KSRBEvans
10-08-2016, 12:13 PM
5 months of Sling costs more than that. Thanks.

PedroDaGr8
10-08-2016, 04:22 PM
Great deal, 5 mo of SLing is more expensive than that. So this is a really great value. Even if you don't need the box, a great way to add streaming to an out of the way TV. Though honestly this box can also stream 4K and supports HDR10 (though it doesn't seem to support Dolby Vision HDR), making it better than everything but the newest Chromecast 4k. It also has Chromecast streaming built in so you can stream to it exactly like it was a chromecast.

EDIT: Pass if you intentionally want to use it for Netflix. Netflix hasn't approved it for HD or UHD use.

CGWildcat
10-15-2016, 02:48 PM
Help me understand. We have directv, had it for eons. Still pay out the nose, but there are channels we love and always watch. Plus we enjoy our local channels. Is it worth it to cut the cord? How can I ensure we get the channels plus locals we want?

PedroDaGr8
10-15-2016, 03:04 PM
Help me understand. We have directv, had it for eons. Still pay out the nose, but there are channels we love and always watch. Plus we enjoy our local channels. Is it worth it to cut the cord? How can I ensure we get the channels plus locals we want?

1) First and foremost you need a good internet connection. If you do not have a good connection, don't even bother.
2) How many TVs/devices do you have. Sling Orange is single device at a time. Great for those of us with a single TV we mainly use. Sling Blue allows you to stream up to three devices at once. Whether 3 TV's, 3 PCs, 3 mobile devices or any combination of those, it doesn't matter. Note, that WatchESPN streaming doesn't appear to count against those numbers.
3) The channel lineup is available on SlingTV's website. Check and see which channels you need and want. Local service would be via antenna mostly (I think, I don't watch local channels at ALL).
4) To stream to a TV you need a streaming device (Chromecast, FireTV, Roku, etc.)

For someone likke one of my good friends, who has a single TV in his house. The savings are on the order of around $60-70/mo. For others, it might actually make more sense to keep cable. It really depends on how you use your television. For someone like me, who only really cares about streaming for basketball season, the ease of cancelling really helps as well. There are no setup fees, no cancellation fees, just go on the website cancel, done. This means in months where I don't plan to watch TV, I don't pay ANYTHING at all.

EDIT: Local channels available vary from region to region. I picked the 94954 area code for Petaluma, CA. Here is what SlingTV lists as available (Broadcast Extra is an add-on package).

Channel
Required Package

Unimas - KFSF
Sling Blue or Sling Orange + Blue

NBC - KNTV

FOX - KTVU

ABC - KGO
Broadcast Extra

Univision - KDTV

NBC On-Demand
Sling Blue

FOX On-Demand
Sling Blue

CGWildcat
10-16-2016, 09:58 AM
I had a response all typed out yesterday, guess I never posted and it's gone.

We have 3 TVs we use in house. Netflix stream on one of them. We record a lot of shows to watch eventually.

We have very good internet connection. Never really an issue.

From looking at the Sling orange+blue with a few add ons we might be good to go. Again, it comes down to local channels. When you say antenna, I think of the big iron skeletons on the roof... have they improved? LOL

PedroDaGr8
10-16-2016, 02:17 PM
I had a response all typed out yesterday, guess I never posted and it's gone.

We have 3 TVs we use in house. Netflix stream on one of them. We record a lot of shows to watch eventually.

We have very good internet connection. Never really an issue.

From looking at the Sling orange+blue with a few add ons we might be good to go. Again, it comes down to local channels. When you say antenna, I think of the big iron skeletons on the roof... have they improved? LOL

So with Orange+Blue, you would get your local NBC and Fox stations streamed (if you add the Broadcast Extra package you would get ABC). CBS has been actively fighting companies like Sling to try to get ppl to sign up for CBS's own CBS All Access.

As for an antenna, most people use these kinds of amplified antennas (https://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-Antenna-Amplifier-Booster-Capture/dp/B01F5R29MY/ref=sr_1_1?tag=slickdeals&ascsubtag=62de29c293d411e6a96636dc14ac04a80INT&ie=UTF8&qid=1476469585&sr=8-1&keywords=HDTV+Antenna%3Fsdsrc%3Dstaff). There isn't much difference in performance so just choose the color version that you want. Get the amplified type, they have the best reception. Mind you that depending on your building and the TVs location the signal can be almost impossible with one of these indoor antennas. Past these, you get into outdoor antennas which vary in price, scale and performance VERY wildly