PDA

View Full Version : An interesting weekend

CitizenBBN
10-08-2016, 09:42 AM
We find out that Trump is just as egotistical and obnoxious and misogynistic as we all knew (his video), and we found out Clinton is just as two faced a liar as we knew (her speeches to Wall Street proclaiming she's for open borders and free trade).

OK, maybe it wasn't really that interesting after all. We end up right where we started, wondering how in the Hell the nation took such a bad turn that these are the two people we put up for President. Maybe Falwell was right after all and God is punishing us for something.

PS - we also found out the government is just as corrupt as we already knew with more revelations the White House was in coordination with the Clinton campaign long ago on how to cover up the email issues.

Darrell KSR
10-08-2016, 10:51 AM
It's interesting to me to see people's reactions. Absurd pulling of support for Trump based on comments 11 years ago that literally have nothing to do with his ability to be POTUS. I don't like him, don't like Hillary, agree these are two of the worst choices we could have, but don't get the reactions. Revelations occur related to Hillary and misuse of position that *do* relate directly to an ability to be POTUS, yet there's barely a blip. The Donald uses some street language 11 years ago and Governors and representatives are pulling their support, disinviting him to political campaigns, and publicly denouncing him for basically, being politically incorrect in the purest sense of the term.

I'm not a Trump backer, but this is crazy. He's more Bill Clinton than Bill Cosby. So what? This is news? Really?

So I do find it interesting, but in more of a depressing way in what it says about us as a people.

Doc
10-08-2016, 11:15 AM
It's interesting to me to see people's reactions. Absurd pulling of support for Trump based on comments 11 years ago that literally have nothing to do with his ability to be POTUS. I don't like him, don't like Hillary, agree these are two of the worst choices we could have, but don't get the reactions. Revelations occur related to Hillary and misuse of position that *do* relate directly to an ability to be POTUS, yet there's barely a blip. The Donald uses some street language 11 years ago and Governors and representatives are pulling their support, disinviting him to political campaigns, and publicly denouncing him for basically, being politically incorrect in the purest sense of the term.

I'm not a Trump backer, but this is crazy. He's more Bill Clinton than Bill Cosby. So what? This is news? Really?

So I do find it interesting, but in more of a depressing way in what it says about us as a people.

I'm glad my wife doesn't hear some of the stuff I say. I did happen once. I was talking to my construction guy after having my wife on bluetooth in my car. I though I hung up but didn't. She heard the whole conversation...and it wasn't pretty.

What I find interesting is most GOP see Trump as not a good choice but an acceptable one over Hillary. In essence, we see his warts and faults. I don't know of any person voting for Trump who doesn't see something about him that isn't perfect. Contrasted to many left/liberals who refuse to acknowledge that Hillary has problems or faults. They will come out of the walls to defend here and give excuses for her actions. Trumps exposee 11 years past is a great issue but Hillary leaving 4 Americans to die 4 years ago isn't anything they are worried about. Deleted e-mails is a right wing conspiracy and she did nothing wrong. She didn't lie about it either, according to them. Or Trump calls Rosie O'Donnell a fat pig and he is a misogynistic bully who hates ALL women but Hillary calls a woman a "gold digger" who goes after her sexually abusive husband and its not a problem because her attack was one person.

I expect Trump at some point to pull out the big guns. So far he hasn't which is disappointing.

CitizenBBN
10-08-2016, 11:15 AM
As Trump said, he's heard Bill Clinton say worse on the golf course, and I have no doubt that's true. I've certainly heard worse. Get a bunch of guys around boasting about their prowess and you hear lots of demeaning things. Duh.

I already knew he was a braggart and full of himself and all those things. As you pointed out, it's not really that tied to being POTUS.

In fact i'd say Bill Clinton was one of the more successful Presidents in the modern era and he was and remains a tremendous womanizer. John Kennedy's exploits were legendary before he ever got to office.

those who are pulling support mostly just wanted an excuse to do so. McCain has been against him all along, as was Ryan, Rubio, etc. They are all GOP establishment and if he wins he's going to REALLY upset their apple cart of graft and privilege.

Those guys are much more afraid of losing the cozy Washington arrangement than they are of what Hillary will do, b/c she's completely committed to the establishment and keeping the gravy train running and no one spilling each others secrets.

The fact that they don't want Trump even more than they don't want Hillary does two things. First it confirms for me that they are more focused on their power and position than on the ideology they claim to champion, but mostly it makes me think maybe Trump is a good move b/c they seem convinced he'll really mess up the DC system.

Meanwhile we've learned this week that the FBI has destroyed evidence, that the White House was in on the email fix from the very start, and that Hillary is as in bed with Wall Street and the goal of open borders and the rise of multinationals as a hooker at a business convention, but apparently that's not really important to things like the direction she'd take as President.

Clinton was humping interns and lying about it under oath. I'll take Trump's crude behavior and ego over that even regarding the issue of respecting women.

None of that is to defend him. He's a boorish ass, I have no idea how he won the nomination, and I'm sad that these are our two choices. but It's not exactly damning to find out that a boorish ass has been a boorish ass at times.

Darrell KSR
10-08-2016, 11:22 AM
those who are pulling support mostly just wanted an excuse to do so.

On the money.

CitizenBBN
10-08-2016, 11:22 AM
Doc, there isn't a man alive who hasn't said things that would send his wife/girlfriend straight to mad when talking about women. I'm also sure there isn't a woman alive who hasn't said things about a man or men generally which wouldn't do the same.

Dumb to be that way with a camera around, but it's not the human tragedy I see it being portrayed as by those who have had their knives ready for a while.

KSRBEvans
10-08-2016, 11:26 AM
This reveals nothing about Trump that we didn't know all along. He's a disaster on many levels, not the least of which is his misogyny. And it's been clear for years--certainly since he announced his candidacy--that it's the case.

Some found a way to hold their nose and eat the poop sandwich, others couldn't do it. But he's the same person, both before the revelation and after.

The big change is this is not in print. The fact that it's on a "hotter" form of media makes it impossible to avoid. Candidates and office holders who hoped to tiptoe around it are now forced to acknowledge and make a stand, one way or the other.

Boy, it's a good thing they stifled dissent on the rules committee and at the convention. Otherwise, the party wouldn't be nearly as unified as they are now.

CitizenBBN
10-08-2016, 11:35 AM
BEvans I always thought the way for one of these guys to handle it is to call him out completely and then explain that it's a horrid choice, but that he's better than a criminal leftist who thinks government is the only answer to every question.

That's basically why half of those who are voting for him are doing it, and people can understand that view. Then when he messes up you can say "yep, I know he's an ass, I said it before, but it's my only other choice versus someone who should be in jail for corruption."

Just say neither is fit to hold the office but given the choices he's more fit than she is, b/c his being an ass is better than being corrupt and selling us out to foreign money brokers.

KSRBEvans
10-08-2016, 11:47 AM
Oh, and if people think this is the last, harshest reminder before the election of who Trump is, I think they're going to be very disappointed.

KeithKSR
10-09-2016, 04:11 PM
Oh, and if people think this is the last, harshest reminder before the election of who Trump is, I think they're going to be very disappointed.

My guess is the Hillary campaign will roll something on Trump out each time Wikileaks publishes info on her corruption.