PDA

View Full Version : Compare how Tennessee handled Dooley fired to way Kentucky handled firing of Phillips

KSRBEvans
11-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Vaught's Views (http://vaughtsviews.com/compare-how-tennessee-handled-dooley-fired-to-way-kentucky-handled-firing-of-phillips/)

dan_bgblue
11-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Larry Vaught rocks!!

BigBlueBrock
11-19-2012, 01:25 PM
Very good article highlighting many of the reasons people don't like Mitch. He hates the fans, doesn't respect them, and considers it beneath him to talk to us about this. That is what his attitude and actions betray about his feelings. From "microwave society" and the letter about keeping Joker to "real fans" and "personal agenda" to firing Joker with a letter than was 90% defending himself - He's shown nothing but disrespect to the fans. He is unequivocally terrible.

UKHistory
11-19-2012, 01:28 PM
Very nice job Larry. Wonderful comparisons between the two situations: ADs, coaches, records, and financial issues/probation.

Basketball and football are hard to compare but let's compare UK football to UMass basketball. Find the right guy and you can make both a winner.

Look at climbing the SEC ladder as an opporutnity with the possibilities, a great challenge to undertake. Instead we have Mitch insulting the fans and Matt Jones reminding UK fans to know their place.

If you don't try to be a winner you won't be one. The same excuses made in football were being made about UK basketball in decline.

Put the right person in charge and it gets better real quick.

Terminus
11-19-2012, 01:46 PM
I think that it would be difficult for even the most adamant Barnhart supporters not to think that "he's stubbed his toe a bit" in the handling of the fans and media as the Phillips era has come to an end. jmho

Nonetheless, I'm hoping we (whoever that may include) find the best man for the job and can get him on board. This will be such a crucial hire for the future of the football program as well as the financial health of the athletic department. We need to get this one right.

catmanjack
11-19-2012, 01:54 PM
This to me with all the conference changes still coming is the most important hire in UK football history and I have little to no confidence that it is being perceived that
way by the folks in charge of doing the hiring at UK.
To me UK needs to look higher then the coach at a Big East UC.

ram
11-19-2012, 03:50 PM
IMO, while it's impossible to insure any coach will be a winner, unless mb hires someone the fans believe is almost certain to be a winner the first home game of 2013 will have far from a capacity crowd. Write it down, unless he gets a winner, the days of 60K to watch a mediocre team are a thing of the past. It would be a shame for that to happen. Ky fans have demonstrated they will support Football if they have hope for success. If anyone ever provides high level Football on a consistent basis, Football will be as big as bball at Ky. We've seen glimpses of it in the last 40 years.

The talk of B Jones, while he's demonstrated he can coach, does not give me that sense of certainty that some other potential (non-potential) coaches inspire.

Badinage
11-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Seems Larry is frustrated that he truly knowns nothing about the search. This is an non-issue, but seems to be a way to moan again about the process, of which Larry seems to know very little. Disappointing journalism, IMO.

Catonahottinroof
11-19-2012, 04:59 PM
He's not a terrible AD, but he's handled this situation with a little less candor than what was necessary. He didn't want to fire Joker, I believe that is obvious from his comments and the letter was more about Mitch and his AD accomplishments until the last portion of the letter.

Talk to the fans Mitch. It is in your best interest to do so.

VirginiaCat
11-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Guys, I have friends that are UT fans..and they have not been happy with the way Dooley situation was handled.... AT ALL..

You guys are so one sided it is not funny.

LakeCat
11-19-2012, 07:17 PM
Seems Larry is frustrated that he truly knowns nothing about the search. This is an non-issue, but seems to be a way to moan again about the process, of which Larry seems to know very little. Disappointing journalism, IMO.

Thanks MItch for your input. Thank goodness we have a journalist willing to call out a AD that has HARMED this football program to the tune of millions for the foreseeable future. MB started this war with the fan base with his snide comments. Now he isn't man enough to face anyone. I won't spend another dime on UK football as long as he is AD. Go back to Kansas you have worn ou your welcome here,

ColonelSteve
11-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Mitch is a great AD for the non major sports, but for MBB and FB he is TERRIBLE and he proved it with his Gillispie hire and then being forced into hiring Cal which he really didnt wanna do. I have no faith in that man and it's about time that UK fans are demanding quality TRUE SEC style football, we've been in the SEC 80 years now and it's damn time we started acting like it.

Badinage
11-19-2012, 10:33 PM
He did no harm by the way he has handled this. So the media did not get to question him? Oh poo!!! This criticism is inane.

Catonahottinroof
11-19-2012, 10:48 PM
He did no harm by the way he has handled this. So the media did not get to question him? Oh poo!!! This criticism is inane.

It's a "lady parts" move. You support that. I do not. To each their own...

Badinage
11-20-2012, 05:30 AM
It's a "lady parts" move. You support that. I do not. To each their own...

I like ladys' parts. You do not. To each his own. :)

Catonahottinroof
11-20-2012, 08:47 AM
I like ladys' parts. You do not. To each his own. :)

Touché lol

You can't only take questions and be in front of the media when times are good. That's the easy part. Taking responsibility for a meltdown, calling out of fans is his job as well. Good or bad, he's not completely doing his job.
He didn't like the criticism at the PC over Gillispie's firing, and that's too bad. Man up, do the job you are paid to do.