PDA

View Full Version : Shutter party, my house this afternoon. Who's in?

Doc
10-05-2016, 06:31 AM
Looks like I have to shutter up so I'll provide the beer.

https://s.w-x.co/staticmaps/DCT_SPECIAL17_1280x720.jpg

dan_bgblue
10-05-2016, 08:34 AM
I would love to be there if I could. I love squashing spiders that have been hidden and safe for 11 years.

Good luck with the weather in the coming days

Darrell KSR
10-05-2016, 08:48 AM
Stay safe. This still doesn't look good to me.

https://icons.wunderground.com/data/images/at201614.gif

Doc
10-05-2016, 10:58 AM
the 8pm thur dot is directly over my partners fishing bungalo. We are directly west, 3 miles from the ocean.

I'm headed home soon to shutter up the house. Son is headed home, leaving in a couple hours (?) from Orlando (Univ Central FL). Plus my wife, daughter and Tommy (our live in). we are expecting 100+ winds.

dan_bgblue
10-05-2016, 11:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2CSPKM7En4

Doc
10-05-2016, 03:43 PM
Started at 1:00 and just finished...except for 2 sliding doors and a bar window, plus the two entry doors. Figure 20 minutes tomorrow.

dan_bgblue
10-05-2016, 08:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTgWRH0_pSk

blueboss
10-05-2016, 10:49 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/news/human-skull-seen-eerie-satellite-211545485.html

Anybody see the skull like satellite photo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc
10-06-2016, 10:20 AM
Just finish final prep. All the shutters up so am locked in. Only 2 exits open now (both bathrooms) as our front and side doors are shuttered. Hopefully will be back on line sooner than most. Still has not reached us but expect to hit in about 3 hours. We have had a couple bands go thru but nothing of significance.

KeithKSR
10-06-2016, 10:56 AM
Stay safe, Doc.

KentuckyWildcat
10-06-2016, 12:14 PM
Friend of mine is expecting to arrive at Disney on Saturday, hopefully this will not ruin their trip.

Another friend lives in Jacksonville, they are going to ride it out.

Prayers to all down that way.

KSRBEvans
10-06-2016, 12:15 PM
^Yes, stay safe Doc & other KSR members in Florida & along the coast.

My sons working with the Disney College Program & he was told to report to his work place, Pop Century Resort, by 4 pm with a bag & 4 daysof clothes/toiletries. They're going to be working there & bedding down in various parts of the resort until Matthew is past.

dan_bgblue
10-06-2016, 02:05 PM
Doc if the prognostications are correct you will be right on the southern edge of the worst winds. Predicted top wind speed for West Palm is 80 mph then going up to 120 in Fort Pierce. Hope that holds for you. 80 mph can still do significant damage especially if it is for a prolonged period, but it is much better than 120

dan_bgblue
10-06-2016, 02:06 PM
Orlando top wind gusts expected to be in the mid 80s and Jacksonville in the low 90s

Darrell KSR
10-06-2016, 03:37 PM
That looks bad; very bad. I know everybody is well equipped, but please all be safe who are in the area.

Darrell KSR
10-06-2016, 03:48 PM

Darrell KSR
10-06-2016, 04:01 PM
Scary stuff here.

Storm surge potential -- the first one is overall; the second one (see the red arrow) is pointing out RESIDENTIAL STREETS with 9+ foot storm surge potential.

The final pic shows the secondary eye wall headed straight toward Stuart and Doc.

Darrell KSR
10-06-2016, 04:08 PM
Maps of West Palm Beach, another map with Stuart on it for reference. (Don't worry, I'm done posting pics).

Doc
10-06-2016, 04:20 PM
I've come to realize that people are DUMB!

Here are some of the "twitter questions" just put up on the local news:
"Where can I get batteries?" My response would have been "What have you been doing for the last 2 days, dumbass? You're are looking for batteries NOW?

"I live in Loxahachee (which is about 40 miles inland). Should I evacuate?" My reply would have been "Yo, dumbass, if you were going to evacuate, you needed to have been on the road about 12 hours ago, but why don't you get your stuff now and do so because by the time you leave your several ton house that is attached to the ground with cement, and get in your couple thousand pound car on wheels, the wind should be around 50 mph. Good idea, that evacuation thing....decide to do if after the stom, bonehead. Oh, and if you see some downed powerlines, can you move them off the road so nobody gets hurt?"

And whats with the "on site" reporters? Yes, we know it windy and driving rain. Oh, and please tell us to stay inside because its dangerous WHILE YOU STAND ON THE BEACH. One guy just said the camera man is having a tough time holding the camera. Really? It's a ####ing hurricane. Now he is talking to "Jared", some guy who decided to stay, and he is nervous, it should be intense and its going to get worse. Also Jared is on the second floor. He wouldnt be here if he was on the first floor because of flooding. And now he is thinking about heading to Shimpers. Pulwitzer Award stuff here. Let me guess, the rain is wet.

Lets talk boring...imagine EVERY CHANNEL being on 24 hours of reporters (and of course you have 4 of them on each channel). I can't even watch Judge Judy due to it being pre-empted by some ditz telling me "IT'S DANGEROUS" (hello captain Obvious), or the showing of the same 5 seconds of the weather radar again and agains while the "weather anchor" circles the "eye of the storm" because us non-eye candy people are not smart enough to realize the dot in the middle is the eye. Oh, and lets not forget the "viewer videos". These are gems. We have a downed fence (shocking that a wind gust of 60 mph would do that), and the trees swaying in the wind. TOTALLY AMAZING VIDEO. Now show me one of something I can't look out my window and see LIVE like an alligator eating one of the moron reporters standing in a foot of water.

Doc
10-06-2016, 04:29 PM
Oh God, please.....

So the guy in the wind just noted somebody evacuated but left something "VERY IMPORTANT" (long pause for effect and to ramp up the intensity). Its an American Flag so they are going to get it (Hum God Bless America), to which the in studio anchor (lady and need I mention Blonde) reminds on site reporter that there are proper ways to remove a flag and he can "google" those if he needs to. This is the type of banter that people who are barricaded in their homes are subject to.

BigBluePappy
10-06-2016, 04:55 PM
God Bless you and yours Doc, stay safe, and that goes for all my Blue brothers and sisters in this storms path.

Darrell KSR
10-06-2016, 05:02 PM
Oh God, please.....

So the guy in the wind just noted somebody evacuated but left something "VERY IMPORTANT" (long pause for effect and to ramp up the intensity). Its an American Flag so they are going to get it (Hum God Bless America), to which the in studio anchor (lady and need I mention Blonde) reminds on site reporter that there are proper ways to remove a flag and he can "google" those if he needs to. This is the type of banter that people who are barricaded in their homes are subject to.

lol. Doc, I feel for ya, man. I guess filling that much time is a tough on-air job, but that sounds almost as bad as the weather consequences!

Doc
10-06-2016, 05:13 PM
God Bless you and yours Doc, stay safe, and that goes for all my Blue brothers and sisters in this storms path.

we will be fine. Again, all shuttered in. First time I ever put them all up. For Francis and Jeanne we didn't have them. Those storms (followed by William) convinced me to get hurrices shutters. That was 2005. In those storms I cracked a ceiling beam which ran about $60,000 for the insurance company to fix. It an exposed cedar beam that runs the length my house. The flexing of my roof caused a longitudal split in that beam as well as the similar beam on the back side of the house (another 60K to repair, courtesy of insurance). They were a disaster to fix (they had to raise my roof off the house, put metal plates on each side then "box it in" with new cedar). But now with shutters, I don't have any exposed glass, everything is covered by aluminum or wood. Plus we have a generator that powers the house. My 2 biggest concerns are the generator gets blown away (which would take a lot since its the size of a refrigerator and behind a fence with all our pool pumps) and running out of propane. I have 250 gallon tank buried in the yard. Was filled about 3 months ago so should be at least 3/4 full. However I think I jinxed us. My generator was not installed to code. We had to rush install a decade ago and the installer never came back to do it correctly. We had a junction box on the ground sitting in water during storms, I had to throw about 4 breakers to connect it, etc.... About 2 months ago I FINALLY got an electrician over to connect it CORRECTLY so it automatically kicks on, throws the power switch to the home, prioritizes appliances, etc.... I'M GLAD I DID THAT!!!! Plus last year we got a new roof--but its metal rather than wood shake so its about 10 times stronger. However the superstitious part of me says that my finally getting everything storm-proof of means that we got hit.

Doc
10-06-2016, 05:19 PM
lol. Doc, I feel for ya, man. I guess filling that much time is a tough on-air job, but that sounds almost as bad as the weather consequences!

You have no idea..

Newest round of questions and suggestions.. DON'T RUN YOUR GENERATOR INSIDE. Yes, there are people this stupid. Generators use a motor, motor has exhaust. Next helpful hint...stay way from window :sCo_huhsign: One person is worried about Lake Ocheechobee flooding. They recommended he move.

BigBluePappy
10-06-2016, 05:37 PM
Doc, I stopped reading after exposed Cedar Beam that runs the length of my house.
Now, I am ashamed to say, I am sitting here drooling and praying Grammy doesn't see that.

It must be gorgeous.

Hunker down and enjoy the moron show that will ensue.

bigsky
10-06-2016, 05:41 PM
Good luck. In-laws seem prepared

BigBluePappy
10-06-2016, 05:42 PM
Oh, by the way, it is October 06, 2016 and I am cleaning my pool.
Yep, I was an idiot and did not close it; the grand-kids begged me to leave it open, due to the hot weather when Grammy and I did a tour of my beloved south.
Idjit.
Even though specific, written instructions were left, none of them were followed.
Can't close green.

But just when I think of this and get steamed, I think of you folks and what you all have coming; my situation just isn't so bad now...

kingcat
10-06-2016, 05:56 PM
Ron, you guys be safe down there. We'll be watching the goings on and thinking about our Floridian friends.

Doc
10-06-2016, 05:58 PM
Doc, I stopped reading after exposed Cedar Beam that runs the length of my house.
Now, I am ashamed to say, I am sitting here drooling and praying Grammy doesn't see that.

It must be gorgeous.

Hunker down and enjoy the moron show that will ensue.

Its "ski-lodge-esque", which makes it unique in Florida (LOL). Cedar ceiling, Rosewood floors (we had had to replace or refinish 3 times), with 16 feet of glass overlooking a golf course. Hey, I invited you down!

Doc
10-06-2016, 05:58 PM
Good luck. In-laws seem prepared

They are in Jensen or Stuart? I forget which.

suncat05
10-06-2016, 06:04 PM
During times like this, it seems like EVERY LIVING BREATHING IDIOT IN THE AREA manages to show themselves and show the local world how dumb they really are.

Doc
10-06-2016, 06:09 PM
Oh, by the way, it is October 06, 2016 and I am cleaning my pool.
Yep, I was an idiot and did not close it; the grand-kids begged me to leave it open, due to the hot weather when Grammy and I did a tour of my beloved south.
Idjit.
Even though specific, written instructions were left, none of them were followed.
Can't close green.

But just when I think of this and get steamed, I think of you folks and what you all have coming; my situation just isn't so bad now...

I got a pool guy!!! He will be working overtime next week. Is a chance we will lose out screen enclosure

BigBluePappy
10-06-2016, 06:40 PM
I got a pool guy!!! He will be working overtime next week. Is a chance we will lose out screen enclosure

Grammy does, too.
Me.:4chsmu1:

blueboss
10-06-2016, 07:49 PM
I feel for you guys, I was living in Jensen Beach in 79' for David. The path of Matthew is very similar to what David did skirting up the east coast of FL. The eye came in just below us around Jupiter Island. We did get the back side eye wall over Jensen Beach.

We were fortunate in 79' because the media wasn't nearly as ghoulish or sophisticated then as they are now. The one thing that we learned was since we were three miles inland, surviving the hurricane wasn't the hard part, it was surviving the aftermath. No water, no electricity, no roads, no fuel,no food, no liquor, and everything that comes without having any of those things.

I still have several friends scattered up and down the coast in your area, and am getting similar updates about the idiots from them too.

Anyway keep your head down, and good luck.

VirginiaCat
10-06-2016, 08:08 PM
I've come to realize that people are DUMB!

Here are some of the "twitter questions" just put up on the local news:
"Where can I get batteries?" My response would have been "What have you been doing for the last 2 days, dumbass? You're are looking for batteries NOW?

"I live in Loxahachee (which is about 40 miles inland). Should I evacuate?" My reply would have been "Yo, dumbass, if you were going to evacuate, you needed to have been on the road about 12 hours ago, but why don't you get your stuff now and do so because by the time you leave your several ton house that is attached to the ground with cement, and get in your couple thousand pound car on wheels, the wind should be around 50 mph. Good idea, that evacuation thing....decide to do if after the stom, bonehead. Oh, and if you see some downed powerlines, can you move them off the road so nobody gets hurt?"

And whats with the "on site" reporters? Yes, we know it windy and driving rain. Oh, and please tell us to stay inside because its dangerous WHILE YOU STAND ON THE BEACH. One guy just said the camera man is having a tough time holding the camera. Really? It's a ####ing hurricane. Now he is talking to "Jared", some guy who decided to stay, and he is nervous, it should be intense and its going to get worse. Also Jared is on the second floor. He wouldnt be here if he was on the first floor because of flooding. And now he is thinking about heading to Shimpers. Pulwitzer Award stuff here. Let me guess, the rain is wet.

Lets talk boring...imagine EVERY CHANNEL being on 24 hours of reporters (and of course you have 4 of them on each channel). I can't even watch Judge Judy due to it being pre-empted by some ditz telling me "IT'S DANGEROUS" (hello captain Obvious), or the showing of the same 5 seconds of the weather radar again and agains while the "weather anchor" circles the "eye of the storm" because us non-eye candy people are not smart enough to realize the dot in the middle is the eye. Oh, and lets not forget the "viewer videos". These are gems. We have a downed fence (shocking that a wind gust of 60 mph would do that), and the trees swaying in the wind. TOTALLY AMAZING VIDEO. Now show me one of something I can't look out my window and see LIVE like an alligator eating one of the moron reporters standing in a foot of water.

Doc, do we need to send you a Snickers for your Hangriness?!!! LOL! Button Down and be safe!

VirginiaCat
10-06-2016, 08:10 PM
During times like this, it seems like EVERY LIVING BREATHING IDIOT IN THE AREA manages to show themselves and show the local world how dumb they really are.

It used to be before all these days of warning Darwinism would kick in...but now we have these news warnings and all of the Stickers on power equipment warning all the idiots and it allows them to reproduce...

CitizenBBN
10-06-2016, 08:11 PM
blueboss - no liquor?

Now pardon my saying, but that sounds like a lack of planning. No water, food, electric OK, but a well stocked bar is the mark of the sophisticated man. :)

CitizenBBN
10-06-2016, 08:12 PM
It used to be before all these days of warning Darwinism would kick in...but now we have these news warnings and all of the Stickers on power equipment warning all the idiots and it allows them to reproduce...

and vote. We even let them vote.

blueboss
10-06-2016, 08:49 PM
blueboss - no liquor?

Now pardon my saying, but that sounds like a lack of planning. No water, food, electric OK, but a well stocked bar is the mark of the sophisticated man. :)

Who knew? What can I say? It was my first hurricane. We only had enough liquor for the actual storm party...I can assure you, it never happened again.

blueboss
10-06-2016, 09:36 PM

Doc,

How's that screen inclosure holding up now??

Doc
10-06-2016, 10:07 PM
Doc,

How's that screen inclosure holding up now??

Well just went on generator as the power went out. Enclosure holding

CitizenBBN
10-06-2016, 10:42 PM
You're good on liquor I hope. ;)

blueboss
10-06-2016, 11:01 PM
Well just went on generator as the power went out. Enclosure holding

Sounds like you're in good shape. It looks like the worst of it is over for the Stuart and areas south. If you can avoid a pop up tornado you can start drinking heavily and coast until day light. FPL is on deck now and they definitely have their work cut out for them...certainly wouldn't want to be out on Hutchison right now. wonder how Sailfish Point faired??

Hang tight, and keep your head down...

Doc
10-07-2016, 04:32 AM
Hit here about 1:00am but we were snug as an bug in an rug. Still not power or cable, I'll put dish up later as we still have big winds. Just did an walk around and I'm in excellent shape. 3 cars in driveway are good, no dents or broken glass. Generator humming and still at 55 on the meter (was at 60 last night before the storm)...... so rough estimate is 5 per 6 hours gives me 66 hours of electricity, or 2 1/2 more days.
Didn't lose my screen enclosure either. I think about couple fence boards are gone but not sure.

Doc
10-07-2016, 04:45 AM
Now is where it gets fun. I'll bet there are folks lining up already for free water and food. I'm not joking either. They start asking for handouts before the storm ends. And we will get the drivers who want to video while the drive. I've seen them with the viewfinder to their eye while driving. You think driving and texting is bad? That nothing compared to that. Also will get the deep water drivers who think they can go where no others can. They will suck water into their engines and destroy them in order to get somewhere, likely the free water like

Darrell KSR
10-07-2016, 04:52 AM
Well, technically the deep water divers will get their free water, just in a different way.... Lol

Thanks for checking in, Doc. Stay away from the loonies.

BigBluePappy
10-07-2016, 05:10 AM
Good news if that is all the major damage you received.
In a situation like you all will witness with the loonies you just have to think, maybe Darwin was right; time to thin the herd.

Hoss
10-07-2016, 05:45 AM
In thoughts and prayers for you guys!

bigsky
10-07-2016, 09:46 AM
They are in Jensen or Stuart? I forget which.

Not stuart, altho the condo they also keep is in stuart. I think they're really in Pt St Lucie county, Near the river, turn off US 1 at target and the liquor store.

suncat05
10-07-2016, 03:18 PM
Checking in now. We had a little bit of rain and a little bit of wind, and that was pretty much it over here on the western side of Lake Okeechobee. No one lost power that I have heard of. The area that received to most wind and rain in our county was the Buckhead Ridge area, just outside of Okeechobee proper. They had a few downed tree limbs, but no real damage to report.
After Matthew hit Freeport it sort of took a slight eastward turn, giving the east coast of Florida about a 30-40 mile difference in spacing along the coast, away from Florida. That really helped us inland. And it sounds like it helped the areas around Stuart, Port St. Lucie, Ft. Pierce. I have friends that live in the Palm Bay area, which was expecting an almost direct hit, but they've told me that they good to go there as well, a few tree limbs down, minor stuff, but no real damage claimed in their area. I have also spoken with some friends via text up around St. Augustine, they're telling me they've gotten more wind and rain that we did down here, but that they're good to go too.
We got lucky with this storm. It could have been a bad one.

Doc
10-07-2016, 07:30 PM
I just got my power back. Been on generator until about 20 minutes ago. Man am I glad I had that!

Only significant issue for us is one tree is partially uprooted and leaning. Hopefully we won't lose it but if we do it will suck. Its a cocktail tree with oranges, limes, avacado and grapefruits which FINALLY started producing fruit this year. It was our Chistmas tree about 10 years ago and then we planted it. Its a good size tree now, 15 feet tall, so hopefully it will pull thru. Aside from that, we did very well. Didn't even lose any screen on our enclosure

CitizenBBN
10-07-2016, 07:33 PM
One tree with all that stuff on it? Cool. All grafted and producing? Hope it makes it.

That generator sounds like a great idea. I have a whole house one coming up in an auction. I'm going to see how it goes, I'd like to have one.

Doc
10-07-2016, 07:44 PM
One tree with all that stuff on it? Cool. All grafted and producing? Hope it makes it.

That generator sounds like a great idea. I have a whole house one coming up in an auction. I'm going to see how it goes, I'd like to have one.

Yes. A cocktail tree has other trees grafted on so each branch has a different fruit.

As for the generator, we had it for years but it was wired in poorly. The junction box actually sat on the ground so it was in a puddle of water if raining. Also had to manually run it every week or the battery would go dead, and when power went out you had to manually transfer power (throw breakers, etc). 2 months ago we had it wired in correctly so it autoruns weekly and autotransfers when the power goes off, then turns off when the power returns.

Darrell KSR
10-07-2016, 10:34 PM
Doc, the newly wired generator passed all of its tests?

Doc
10-08-2016, 07:00 AM
Doc, the newly wired generator passed all of its tests?

With flying colors. We got power back for good last night around 8:00. One of the best expenditures I've had. The generator was about 3k and correct install was another 2,500 so for under $6,000 I'm covered for all situation. Of course the propane tank isn't in there since that was already installed when we bought the house.

Darrell KSR
10-08-2016, 10:54 AM
With flying colors. We got power back for good last night around 8:00. One of the best expenditures I've had. The generator was about 3k and correct install was another 2,500 so for under $6,000 I'm covered for all situation. Of course the propane tank isn't in there since that was already installed when we bought the house.
All I have is a small portable generator and can speak to how miserable it is to be without power. I can easily see that being a great use of funds. Glad it worked so well.

Doc
10-08-2016, 11:54 AM
We have 2 small portables as well. Hadn't fired them up for years. Took both to work since we have the "big one" and work had nothing. One fired right up but the other had a shut off valve that was rotted thru. The small ones are a pain in the butt though as you 1) need gas which in a hurricane isn't easy to find. Almost every gas station here was out of gas on Wed. People were following tanker trucks to see what gas station they were headed to so they could get gas. 2) is you have to keep filling the damn things which means going outside, in the storm, and filling up the gas tank. Typically they run out every couple hours so at night you will lose power when the tank runs dry. Not a huge deal but enough that if you are shut in it gets uncomfortable and 3) you only have one source of power. Most folks run the juice into their dryer outlet so it flows backwards into the house and you can get power everywhere but you are limited on the output.
We did the small pull starts for years and its way better than no power, but it was just so much easier this year.

Darrell KSR
10-08-2016, 12:49 PM
Yes, that's my philosophy--better than nothing. Barely...

Catfan73
10-09-2016, 06:09 AM
I have one of the small generators that I was lucky to find a few years ago when an ice storm shut off our power for days. I just ran one line to the refrigerator and another to power the master bedroom/bathroom (and a space heater) and we all hunkered down in there. We're probably due for another ice storm this winter. I've heard about running them to the dryer outlet but the electric companies don't want the nimrods out there doing this and not flipping the main breaker first.