PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo builds permanent backdoor into all Yahoo emails:

dethbylt
10-04-2016, 09:25 PM
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN1241YT

The intentions were somewhat...barely....noble, but all Yahoo users should delete their accounts and never look back. They caved to the NSA.

Thoughts?

I think that national security measures need to be improved, but unfettered access to all mailboxes is ripe for abuse and an invasion of privacy.

Darrell KSR
10-04-2016, 10:05 PM
Not happy with this. Did this extend to their small business websites and email too? They will lose the measly amount I pay them for that.

dethbylt
10-04-2016, 10:36 PM
Email is the primary target, based on initial reports.

Darrell KSR
10-04-2016, 11:25 PM
Email is the primary target, based on initial reports.
I'm asking about their business sites email. You know, it's owned by Yahoo, but not Yahoo email addresses. I would guess they run through the same servers even without Yahoo email but don't know that.

Doc
10-05-2016, 06:06 AM
Yahoo has email? I thought they were just a fantasy sports site

dethbylt
10-05-2016, 05:30 PM
I'm asking about their business sites email. You know, it's owned by Yahoo, but not Yahoo email addresses. I would guess they run through the same servers even without Yahoo email but don't know that.

Ah, missed that. As far as I can tell it is their customer space - *@yahoo.com.

Darrell KSR
10-05-2016, 06:38 PM
I'm still not happy, but that may buy them some time with me. Thanks for the explanation.

CitizenBBN
10-05-2016, 06:42 PM
Honestly it's probably not that big a deal. All the major companies likely have backdoor deals with the NSA, and this article even acknowledges it. The difference is Yahoo is allowing real time scanning instead of just access to the stored archives. But all of them are going to be accessible to the NSA and FBI, and probably anyone who has a friend who works there.

dethbylt
10-05-2016, 10:53 PM
Honestly it's probably not that big a deal. All the major companies likely have backdoor deals with the NSA, and this article even acknowledges it. The difference is Yahoo is allowing real time scanning instead of just access to the stored archives. But all of them are going to be accessible to the NSA and FBI, and probably anyone who has a friend who works there.

Cit, I am a firm believer in competent intelligence. I am just against allowing unfettered access to emails without a warrant. Security-wise, it is awesome. Freedom-wise I believe it is a step onto the slippery slope. JMHO.

dethbylt
10-05-2016, 10:54 PM
And, I would feel the same about other companies doing the same. I love the fact that Google and Apple denied requests to do the same.

KeithKSR
10-06-2016, 10:52 AM
It seems the government has everyone's email, except Hillary's.

dan_bgblue
10-06-2016, 12:10 PM
LOL

BigBluePappy
10-06-2016, 05:45 PM
It seems the government has everyone's email, except Hillary's.

:sHa_clap2::sHa_clap2::sHa_clap2::sHa_clap2::sHa_c lap2::sHa_clap2: