PDA

View Full Version : Videorecording and DVD burning questions

Darrell KSR
10-04-2016, 08:48 AM
Warning: a lot of questions here. Hopefully somebody(ies) have experience with this they can share.

Here we go.

Facts:

1. I have been shooting in 1920x1080 recording, 17 Mbps, MP4. It uses about 8gb per hour of recording. Games are 90 minutes long, so they easily exceed 10gb.
2. The Canon Vixia HF700 records in several different options. The basic one is either AVCHD or MP4, then each of those have options. Since I don't know what AVCHD is, I've been shooting in MP4.
3. These are the recording options available:
a) AVCHD - NTSC: 60P (approx 28Mbps); MXP (approx 24 Mbps); FXP (Approx 17 Mbps) and LP (approx 5 Mbps). NTSC, MXP and FXP are 1920x1080 recording; LP is 1440x1080.
b) MP4 - 35 Mbps; 24 Mbps; 17 Mbps (all three are 1920 x 1080), and 4 Mbps (1280 x 720).

I have two main uses:

1. My daughter's show choir, theatrical performances, and audition tapes. Certainly, the audition tapes need to be the highest possible quality (somebody else will PROBABLY do these, but I want to learn as a backup alternative). The audition tapes will be short, maybe 10 minutes, but will be uploaded to the internet, maybe Youtube. For the other performances, I would like the best quality possible also, with the idea that it will probably be dumped to computer, then streamed to television. For her competition show choir, there is very fast-paced movement, if that makes a difference. I only have about seven more months of these things to do on a regular basis, then she'll be in college, and my opportunities will be sporadic at best, so I'd like to make sure I do this right. For planning purposes: she will be in two school plays, one musical, four show choir competitions, and have at least three separate and distinct audition "tapes" to do. Not that many, so I'd like to do it right, too.

2. My son's soccer matches. I do this for three reasons--first, the coach asked me to do it once. Once. So I started doing it every time. I have them "available" if he needs them. I don't think the quality needs to be that great for his purposes. Second, for our own purposes. That's for our enjoyment, for sharing with family, and for creating highlight videos for his future use. The quality on this should be very good. Third, for parents of other players who have asked me for copies. Their copies need to be reasonable, but if I sacrifice some small amount of quality in exchange for a nice size reduction, ease in making copies or uploading to Youtube, etc., great. Here's one issue: he will play approximately 25 club matches a year, plus another 30 high school matches. So figure 50-ish matches a year, or about 75 hours of video each and every year.

So here are my many questions.

a) What recording format should I be using for my daughter's (usually) indoor performance videos? I'm thinking AVCHD/NTSC: 60P. That uses what I think is an insane amount of space -- 8gb per 35 minutes of video, but I would be able to put 2-1/2 hours on a 32 gb card, which is likely the longest I'd ever have to record. Besides size of file, what are the other downsides to recording in that format? Can it be uploaded to Youtube that way? Can anything play it on a computer, or if burned to a DVD, on a TV? I am very familiar with MP4 and it seems compatible with everything, so that is a concern.

b) What recording format should I be using for my son's outdoor soccer matches? Same thing? I have been using the 17 Mbps setting, which is the lowest setting to still get 1920 x 1080 recording. I can get about 4 hours on a 32 gb card with this setting, but each game is maybe 12gb in size. I think that's a lot of hard drive space to use. OH--maybe the most important part--I am still trying to learn how best to record a soccer match, which covers an incredible distance (about 110 yards), sometimes back and forth in a matter of seconds. I can't zoom in too much, or else you get dizzy and miss a bunch of action, because the action is far too fast for the camera to follow (plus, I'm a Dad, so I watch the game first, then video second, in importance.) I've learned to have a mild zoom when the action is on the other side of the field, then no zoom if it is close, and try hard to stay with those two general settings. But it is fast, if that makes a difference.

Also--let's assume that I need to switch to the 60P setting, which will make the file sizes much larger. How much better will the quality be? It is negligible, or will it be substantial? On the other side--would I notice a big difference in quality loss, if I ratcheted it down below what I'm doing now, to save file space? I'm guessing I'm at the lowest setting I need to be, and may need to ratchet it back up.

c) After we decide on what setting I should be recording in, I now have questions about giving parents and others copies. Right now, all I have done is to take Windows Movie Maker, make a title page telling what the video is, take the audio down to "0," and "make a movie" MP4. I then upload it to Youtube. Takes many hours to do that, but eventually it makes it there.

For an example, see the video at the bottom of this post (a tournament game; only 70 minute long games since they played 4 in two days. I sometimes stop the action if there is a delay for injury, etc., so this 70-minute game had only 67 minutes of recording. Not unusual).

My questions:

1-what is the easiest way to give copies of these videos to people? It appears that they will all be massive files--even at the lower quality I'm using, probably 12gb per game. Is the easiest thing just to do what I'm doing, upload it to Youtube, and give everybody a link?

2-If I HAVE to put it on a DVD, are there DVDs that can hold that size?

3-If DVDs can't hold that size, can I compress the size to put it on a DVD? If so, how/what software?

4-If I compress the size, will there be a substantial loss in video/audio quality?

5-Besides the free alternatives, are there any reasonably priced software options that would make this a piece-of-cake easy process to do, quickly and with little learning curve? If this were a one-time thing, I wouldn't ask the question--but as I said, I am very likely to have the "job" of recording games for high school for the next three years.

Thanks for your help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0H8Bq0FIww

dan_bgblue
10-04-2016, 09:10 AM
Video is set as private at youtube and does not play for me.

Just a quick thought. Why not transfer the files to a flash drive instead of a DVD? Parents bring you a flash drive of their own, a brand new one of say 32 gb, you transfer the file and give it back to them. They take it home and transfer it to the cloud, youtube, or just their hard drive then wipe the flash drive and bring it back to you for the next installment of juniors exploits.

Darrell KSR
10-04-2016, 09:59 AM
That's really weird, Dan. On the video manager, it shows the setting as "Unlisted." But when I look at the video listings, it shows the "lock" as Private.

I changed it to "Unlisted," and it still showed "Private." So I changed it to "Public," and it worked. Changed it back to "unlisted," and I think finally, it is working. If you don't mind, try it now and see if it plays for you (you don't have to watch any of it, it has to boring as heck.)

GREAT suggestion on the flash drives. That would make it easy. I don't mind buying a few, but this could get very expensive if I get, say, 10 parents that want every game. I am considering that question "answered."

Darrell KSR
10-04-2016, 10:03 AM
Oh--I really would like to get the best possible copy available for them, too, if I go that way. So all the questions on the recording mode I should use are still on the table :).

PedroDaGr8
10-04-2016, 10:29 AM
Have you looked into transcoding into H.265? It tends to save around 40% or so of space for the same quality as mpeg4. It is intended for higher resolution stuff. The biggest thing, is I always record in the highest resolution possible and then transcode later to what I actually need. You can always reduce a files resolution and quality, you can never bring it back.

dan_bgblue
10-04-2016, 10:39 AM
Yup, video works now. I think the image quality is very respectable so I probably would not change anything in the camera settings. I am not a video guy but MP4 is a pretty standard format and works well in HD for sure.

You are at a huge disadvantage in taking still images or video as you are standing right next to the side line. That is not possible to change as there is a chain link fence behind you and this necessitates zooming in and out almost constantly to keep the action in a suitably wide frame. Even if you could back up 10 15 yards it is a settled fact that someone will inevitably decide to take up a viewing position right between you and the field some time during the game. Not sure there is anything you can do about that.

Lastly, as I said before I am not a video guy, so I have almost no experience with video editing software so I am of no help on those questions.

dan_bgblue
10-04-2016, 10:41 AM
You can always reduce a files resolution and quality, you can never bring it back.

That is very good advice and absolutely spot on.

Darrell KSR
10-04-2016, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the continued suggestions.

Dan, the setup at that facility wasn't great. But we're done, that was just a two day tournament.

Our home field doubles as a place for the high
School to practice football, and they have a coach's observation tower that is unlocked for my use. In high school, I think they will let me video from the press box for home games, but not sure.

On the transcoding - no idea what that means, how to do it, what software, etc.

Do you guys think the AVCHD 60P is what I should be shooting? I do like MP4 but willing to change...

dan_bgblue
10-04-2016, 01:40 PM
Article that compares the 2 video formats.

https://www.wondershare.com/mp4/avchd-vs-mp4.html

Darrell KSR
10-04-2016, 01:46 PM

Fantastic.

dan_bgblue
10-04-2016, 01:56 PM
All the time I was watching the video, I was thinking it would be great for you if you had an elevated platform 15-20 yards from the field to work from.:winking0011:

Darrell KSR
10-04-2016, 05:09 PM
All the time I was watching the video, I was thinking it would be great for you if you had an elevated platform 15-20 yards from the field to work from.:winking0011:
Lol. That's what I have for home games, but otherwise, it's do the best you can.

Darrell KSR
10-04-2016, 07:19 PM

After reading the article, I have played around with it a little--recorded two pieces in the mp4 format, 17 Mbps; and the other in the AVCHD, 60p, 35 Mbps.

What an amazing difference. The audio was probably even more pronounced than the video, but my ugly mug showed all of the imperfections up close with AVCHD that were smoothed out a little with a loss of detail on the mp4 format.

Hmm. My guess is that it won't be a big deal for soccer, though, but I may try a game Saturday and see how soccer looks. I'm convinced I need AVCHD for performances.

dan_bgblue
10-04-2016, 07:28 PM
Did you read the part about what kind of file transfer is available for the new format?

PedroDaGr8
10-04-2016, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the continued suggestions.

Dan, the setup at that facility wasn't great. But we're done, that was just a two day tournament.

Our home field doubles as a place for the high
School to practice football, and they have a coach's observation tower that is unlocked for my use. In high school, I think they will let me video from the press box for home games, but not sure.

On the transcoding - no idea what that means, how to do it, what software, etc.

Do you guys think the AVCHD 60P is what I should be shooting? I do like MP4 but willing to change...

transcode means to change from one encoding to another. So you could record in one format that gives really large files, then play around with other formats that compress better. Say going from a high bitrate MPEG to a medium bitrate H.265, etc.

Darrell KSR
10-04-2016, 07:57 PM
Did you read the part about what kind of file transfer is available for the new format?

No, I didn't. I just read about recording it. Clicked on the files on the computer after I played around and recorded in both formats, and it opened automatically and started playing, so I assume (??) that it isn't as incompatible as I feared it might be.

Darrell KSR
10-04-2016, 07:59 PM
transcode means to change from one encoding to another. So you could record in one format that gives really large files, then play around with other formats that compress better. Say going from a high bitrate MPEG to a medium bitrate H.265, etc.

So...record in AVCHD, where I get 2.5 hours on a 32gb card, and then transcode with...something...H.265....something....still Greek to me :).

I get the idea, just have no idea what to do/how to do/what it does. But I think I have reached the point where it will just require reading, and not wearing your fingers to nubs trying to educate me on how the process works, what software is needed, what the resulting format may be after it is transcoded, etc.

PedroDaGr8
10-04-2016, 08:03 PM
So...record in AVCHD, where I get 2.5 hours on a 32gb card, and then transcode with...something...H.265....something....still Greek to me :).

I get the idea, just have no idea what to do/how to do/what it does. But I think I have reached the point where it will just require reading, and not wearing your fingers to nubs trying to educate me on how the process works, what software is needed, what the resulting format may be after it is transcoded, etc.

This software is well known for transcoding: https://handbrake.fr The rest, yeah thats is up to you to read about on the nitty gritty details. Even I don't know ALL of the details as I don't do a lot of video production.

Darrell KSR
10-04-2016, 08:16 PM
Hmm. I may need to play around with it some more. One of the functions of this basic camcorder is that it can simultaneously do "1080/60p recording in MP4 (35 Mbps) and AVCHD Progressive (28 Mbps)," which "helps ensure high-quality capture of moving subjects."

Hmm. I don't think mine can do this. I think it requires a hard drive, and mine doesn't have that.

Darrell KSR
10-04-2016, 08:16 PM
This software is well known for transcoding: https://handbrake.fr The rest, yeah thats is up to you to read about on the nitty gritty details. Even I don't know ALL of the details as I don't do a lot of video production.

Thanks. I have some homework to do! Yours and Dan's input has been helpful to me.

dethbylt
10-04-2016, 09:31 PM
Have you looked into transcoding into H.265? It tends to save around 40% or so of space for the same quality as mpeg4. It is intended for higher resolution stuff. The biggest thing, is I always record in the highest resolution possible and then transcode later to what I actually need. You can always reduce a files resolution and quality, you can never bring it back.

I use a free program called Handbrake for transcoding higher quality video formats: https://handbrake.fr

dethbylt
10-04-2016, 09:32 PM
Oops. Late to the party. Need to read from the bottom up. :533:

Darrell KSR
10-04-2016, 09:59 PM
It's ok, I appreciate the affirmation. Good to see two of you recommend the same thing.

dethbylt
10-04-2016, 10:30 PM
It's ok, I appreciate the affirmation. Good to see two of you recommend the same thing.

No worries! The good thing about handbrake is that no matter what format you record in, it can make it smaller or transcode it to a different format.

dan_bgblue
10-05-2016, 09:05 AM
I did a little research, and this info may eliminate some head scratching and gnashing of teeth if you record in avchd and then want to move the file from your hard drive to a flash drive for other parents to use. USB flash drives are pre formatted to FAT32 file format. That file format will not accept the avchd files. You will need to reformat the flash drives to the NTSF file type before you try copying the movie files to the flash drive.

This link should walk you thru the process of reformatting the flash drive (http://www.ntfs.com/quest22.htm)

Here is another article on the same subject (http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/format-usb-ntfs/)

Darrell KSR
10-05-2016, 11:31 AM
I'm rethinking the soccer videos. I thought the video was acceptable enough, absent my wild swinging the video back and forth while I continue to adjust to the size of the soccer field, the action, and the balance between watching the game and videorecording the game. I have recorded plays and things before where I had no dog in the fight, and it's much easier to focus on the video recording then, but I'm not going to give up watching the game. So be it. They understand that and accept me for my faults.

So I think what I will do for soccer is stick with MP4. It's easy, everybody can use it, and it will go on the flash drives without any issues. I won't get phone calls about some weird file type that won't play on their device. What I will probably do is ratchet up the quality to the 35 Mbps instead of 17 Mbps this weekend, and see if that makes any other difference. I also can attach a Samson Go microphone that I already own if I wanted to improve audio, but since I strip the audio from the soccer videos anyway, I may not do it. (Actually, I keep the audio for myself, so I may do it anyway). I don't know if it will improve it any or not, but since the audition/play performances/show choir seasons will be starting in about three weeks, I can play with these settings and adjustments with soccer, which has a higher tolerance for my ineptitude and get it right.

But I WILL record in AVCHD for the performances, so the information is needed. I am positive I will move some of them to flash drives for family/personal use/backup copies, so the information is very, very much appreciated. Thanks for that homework.

Darrell KSR
10-05-2016, 11:52 AM
Hmm. Now I'm rethinking a little more. Not bouncing back, but continuing along the same track. I think I will try some video tomorrow and compare 1080/60p in both MP4 (35 Mbps) and AVCHD progressive (28 Mbps). If it is similar, or the MP4 better, I think I will keep my life as simple as possible and just go with that, unless there's some major issue I'm missing.

The AVCHD yesterday I compared with the 1080/30 MP4 at 17 Mbps. That's apples to oranges, I guess. I probably should have compared it to the 1080/60p, 35 Mbps.

The video was sharper, and the audio really stood out to me as being better. I'll play with it and see.

I'm sure AVCHD allows some editing something or another that would be better, but I'm not going that far. I just want reasonably good quality for soccer, and even better quality for the performances, as good as I can reasonably do without extreme education and difficulty.

Darrell KSR
10-05-2016, 11:10 PM
More sampling tonight--short 30 second videos.

AVCHD 60p/28Mbps appears a little clearer video, but substantially better audio than MP4 60p/35Mbps. I didn't expect that. For now, I think I will stick with AVCHD for indoor performances due to the substantial improvement in audio quality.

I may record the first half of the game Saturday in MP4/17 Mbps as I have been doing; the 2nd half in MPR/60p/35 Mbps and see if there is a difference in quality with respect to moving subjects.

Then the only other thing to play with is an external microphone possibility for indoor performances.

Darrell KSR
11-10-2016, 05:27 PM
Videotaping a school play tonight for the first time since acquiring the new videocamera. Have it set to AVCHD 60p/28Mbps for the performance. Audio is important for indoor performances, so I'm going to give this a shot.

Hopefully it will be fine. I will likely go to the same play a 2nd time, and may try MP4 for a second performance for comparison.

Darrell KSR
11-13-2016, 01:22 PM
Recording again in about 40 minutes. I think I will use the MP4 setting, 60p/35Mbps. I may wimp out and do 30p/24Mbps for space saving, though.

By the way, the video for the AVCHD was a whopping 20GB!!! Gulp.