PDA

View Full Version : For those of us, say, over 40.....

Darrell KSR
09-30-2016, 03:28 PM
Remembering this is a PG-13 site, name something you can't do anymore that you used to do--or you've grown out of, or find more troublesome, etc.

[NOTE--if you're under 40, you can still play along, but I suspect most of us that are on the other side of 40 have a few more of these than you do.]

I'll start.

I get "seasick" on practically anything these days. I used to love going to amusement parks--still do--riding rollercoasters and flat rides that spun you all different ways. I still do the rollercoasters--they aren't bad on me--but I avoid the spinning rides like the dickens. Couldn't get me in a tea cup ride, or a tilt-a-whirl, or anything of the sort now.

When I go to an amusement park, I take a "less sleepy" dramamine tablet before I walk in the park.

I do the same thing--now--before I do something as simple as tubing down a VERY mild river. Got "seasick" tubing the Chattahoochee a couple of summers ago, decided I would go back when we did it again a couple of days later, but that time I took dramamine. Worked for me, but I hate that I have to do it. I guess some day that won't work either.

There's one of (many) of mine. Let's hear yours.

suncat05
09-30-2016, 03:57 PM
I have zero desire to jump out of a perfectly good airplane ever again. I would if I had to, but it is not likely to happen anymore. When I was younger and doing it for God and Country it was all good. And the chicks, well, they were all about it too! But that was then, and this is now. And I much prefer now to then.

Doc
09-30-2016, 10:11 PM
Darrell, like you, I suffer from vertigo (which is what you are describing). Last weekend we went to Halloween Horrors at Universal which has several haunted houses with strobe lights. I kept getting lost. The vertigo went haywire with the flashing lights. My wife was worried they would kick us out the third time I walked off the pathway and into the hidden corners where the performers jump out.

Ill keep it PG!

Sleep more than 3 hours.

Padukacat
09-30-2016, 10:12 PM
I'll be 40 in January, and i just can't muster the desire to go to the gym and "get in shape" and seem to think of the gym as a waste of good time. I know its not, but thats how i justify it maybe. I can't play basketball at a competitive level without my knee hurting, and can barely even touch the rim. My legs just left me a few years ago, it was weird how i just had no explosiveness off the floor, i would jump and be 4" shorter than i expected. I used to play a lot of golf, and like exercise, i feel its a selfish use of time away from the family.

Darrell KSR
10-01-2016, 06:23 AM
I lost that desire at about age 10!
I have zero desire to jump out of a perfectly good airplane ever again. I would if I had to, but it is not likely to happen anymore. When I was younger and doing it for God and Country it was all good. And the chicks, well, they were all about it too! But that was then, and this is now. And I much prefer now to then.

Darrell KSR
10-01-2016, 06:25 AM
I wouldn't have thought about the haunted houses and strobe lights, but I can see where that would be a problem.

Darrell, like you, I suffer from vertigo (which is what you are describing). Last weekend we went to Halloween Horrors at Universal which has several haunted houses with strobe lights. I kept getting lost. The vertigo went haywire with the flashing lights. My wife was worried they would kick us out the third time I walked off the pathway and into the hidden corners where the performers jump out.

Ill keep it PG!

Sleep more than 3 hours.

The sleep more than 3 hours is definitely relatable as well. It doesn't happen often, but I find I can wake up at 3 a.m. (after going to be at midnight or later), work or read for 3+ hours, and then I'm sleepy again, as opposed to just tired. On those rare occasions when I can go back to sleep, I have been able to do so and sleep until about 9 and manage maybe 6 hours sleep. That's a good night.

Doc
10-01-2016, 10:49 AM
The sleep more than 3 hours is definitely relatable as well. It doesn't happen often, but I find I can wake up at 3 a.m. (after going to be at midnight or later), work or read for 3+ hours, and then I'm sleepy again, as opposed to just tired. On those rare occasions when I can go back to sleep, I have been able to do so and sleep until about 9 and manage maybe 6 hours sleep. That's a good night.

I always go to bed after midnight and 9 times out of 10 I wake up between 3 and 3:30. Usually I have to pee then, then if I'm lucky I'll fall back asleep for an hour, maybe an hour and a half.

Doc
10-01-2016, 10:54 AM
I wouldn't have thought about the haunted houses and strobe lights, but I can see where that would be a problem.

It was a MAJOR issue. Actually funny. I didn't have any nausea, just got "lost". At Universal, they have all these hidden spaces where the actors jump out at you. I kept walking into the hidden areas. One guy I think I scared him. They will throw you out of the park if you touch or anything like that to the performers so Shawn was worried they were going to toss us. I did have a couple of the people who work in the house come up to me and guide me, saying "this way". It was funny but not funny. They had one house that was 3-D and you cross a bridge which is tilted and spinning. I couldn't do it. I was clinging for dear life and everybody was going past me. Shawn had to come back and get me. Folks laugh at Ol Roy (me included) for his vertigo, but believe me--I get it. When kicked on high, its disabling.

DanISSELisdaman
10-01-2016, 02:29 PM
I'm 63 and believe me, nothing works like it used to.

bigsky
10-01-2016, 05:10 PM
this

BigBluePappy
10-01-2016, 08:16 PM
+1 :sHa_clap2:

Darrell KSR
10-02-2016, 06:07 AM
I can do something that isn't very strenuous--like play golf--and the next day, I'm sore. What the heck? From playing golf?

Playing basketball, I can understand being sore. But shooting? Yep, arm muscles are sore the next day, too.

Crazy.

KeithKSR
10-02-2016, 10:23 PM
I really miss a good night's sleep.

KSRBEvans
10-03-2016, 08:30 AM
^Ditto on the sleep. I have lots of old-guy stuff primarily related to doing stupid stuff when I was younger, but the sleep thing's the biggest. I'm sure I have sleep apnea, but I put off doing anything about it because I don't want to go through a hassle to get to what will probably be another hassle as the answer (one of those machines).

Catfan73
10-03-2016, 09:20 AM
I'm 55 now. About 3 or 4 years ago I got on one of those rides that you stand in while it spins you around and pins you back with g forces. I thought I was going to die. A time or two after that I had mild dizzy spells and found out I had high bp. I take lisinopril now, lost 30 lbs. (miles and miles and miles of walking) and ride the roller coasters and the swings with no problem. I'll never get on that spinning thing again though.

Doc
10-03-2016, 12:04 PM
When I pee, I can't get started, then when I finally do, I can't stop.

dethbylt
10-04-2016, 09:18 PM
I'm 63 and believe me, nothing works like it used to.

dethbylt
10-04-2016, 09:19 PM
Run for fun and health... I used to have to and got to enjoy the activity more. Now, not so much.

Darrell KSR
10-05-2016, 09:01 AM
Here's another.

Lose weight.

I could go on a diet, exercise for a week and skip three lunches and drop five pounds. And do it again the next week. Now, it is a constant struggle. I can't reset my metabolism to eat up enough calories to drop weight efficiently. I give up and give in to not exercising, eating horribly, and figuring I'll start again next week.

MickintheHam
10-05-2016, 06:40 PM

Got a buddy in Lex. 67 years old. Once a month he heads down to the Kentucky River Bridge to bungee jump. His Dad is 103. He Bought a new car two years ago. Once a week he drives from his home in Prospect to Jeff for grocery shopping. Gets more for his money in Indiana. I refuse to say there is nothing I won't do. The older I get the more consumed I become about doing everything.

blueboss
10-06-2016, 09:02 PM
See

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CitizenBBN
10-06-2016, 10:44 PM
The eyesight thing is annoying. I've been nearsighted since I was a kid so that's not new, but now I'm kinda both and it's hard to get it adjusted so I can just see fine. When I was just nearsighted it worked great, but now they want me to have mono vision, one for distance one for close up. I think it's slowly making me psychotic. Kinda like in The Shining but with less snow.

blueboss
10-06-2016, 11:19 PM
Yep, I've always been blessed with perfect vision until about 10 years ago. I then had to go with cheaters which were a real pain in the arse. I've now advanced to full time glasses, and I went with progressive lenses which really took some getting used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KeithKSR
10-08-2016, 11:51 PM
The eyesight thing is annoying. I've been nearsighted since I was a kid so that's not new, but now I'm kinda both and it's hard to get it adjusted so I can just see fine. When I was just nearsighted it worked great, but now they want me to have mono vision, one for distance one for close up. I think it's slowly making me psychotic. Kinda like in The Shining but with less snow.

I was slightly nearsighted until 40, then didn't need glasses at all. By my late 40s I was buying those cheap readers for closeup stuff, like reading. Now I have opted for bifocals, makes it easier to not have to put the readers on and take them off all the time.

Catfan73
10-09-2016, 06:18 AM
The eyesight thing drives me crazy. I'm 20-15 in my left eye but only 20-40 in my right (astigmatism). I went for a consultation for laser a few years ago; they refused me. Said I likely wouldn't benefit that much and might not like the results lol. Since then I've experienced a bit of a decline which I'm sure is due to age. Went to the doc and after a thorough exam and some really cool pictures of the inside of my eyeball he says, "Well, I can give you some reading glasses but you see fine...." WTH? I could have accomplished the same thing with a trip to Walgreen's. Except insurance paid for everything and now my reading glasses are really cool looking.

CGWildcat
10-09-2016, 10:50 AM
I turn 53 this Friday. Here's a different take....for me, it's get a job. I've interviewed in person with quite a few positions over the last few months. I think they all went pretty well, some better than others. A week later, the dreaded email, "Thank you, but we've decided on another candidate."
I once had a very close doctor friend that told me, once I hit 50, the jobs are tougher to come by. She was spot on. Of course I can never prove it as age discrimination and I'm not so pompous to believe that's the reason for every one. Yet, I can't help but think of it.

Another for me is going to school. Most of you know I'm finishing a BFA in Photography with the Academy of Art based here in San Francisco. I graduate next Spring, took a full load this semester and will slide in the Spring with a couple classes. This semester I am NOT into at all. Sick of the whining little piss ant classmates, their excuses, and the artsy instructors who say, "OK next week, make sure you have your work.....OK, well now you owe me a couple weeks, are you gonna be able to finish this....?"

KeithKSR
10-11-2016, 06:50 PM
CG, there are a lot of guys 50+ who are losing jobs due to downsizing, outsourcing, etc who are finding the same type of market you are. It is a bad situation.

suncat05
10-12-2016, 03:02 AM
That's why after a guy retires, and if he still wants to work a little bit, he needs to have his own business and work at his pace, his leisure, when he wants. Or not. JMHO.

Darrell KSR
10-13-2016, 12:10 PM
CG, there are a lot of guys 50+ who are losing jobs due to downsizing, outsourcing, etc who are finding the same type of market you are. It is a bad situation.

That's exactly right.

And the 11th Circuit just ruled October 5 that the Age Discrimination Act does not protect job applicants, but only employees, from age discrimination. The EEOC had always taken the position that the ADEA disparate impact provision extended to job applicants, but Judge Pryor said it only creates a cause of action for employees, and can't be the basis of a claim for a job applicant.

It's a side note--but both the majority opinion, written by Bill Pryor, and the dissenting opinion, said the language of the statute was clear--they just reached opposite interpretations of what it meant.

How ridiculous is that?

Doc
10-13-2016, 01:12 PM
I plan on retiring soon enough but odd are its still a decade in the future. My commitment to FL is only for another 2 plus years. After that I told my wife we will go where ever you want. She is fearful that at her age, she will be 55 at that time, a transfer might be difficult. Personally I'm not so sure considering its within the government. Were I a prospective hirer, I'd be more concerned about her retiring since she is eligible for that in 3 years.

Personally, I'd rather hire an older person. They are MUCH more reliable. If I get 5 years out of any employee, that is well worth it.

CitizenBBN
10-13-2016, 06:06 PM
I'd rather hire older people. Generally know more, work harder and are better at self-starting. Not true across the board, but generally. I certainly see no reason to not hire someone who is older, that makes no sense. it's not like a 30 something or 20 something is signing up for a 40 year tenure. You're as likely or more likely to get more continuity from people who are empty nesters.

CitizenBBN
10-13-2016, 06:06 PM
Back to the OP, it just hit me that it is getting harder and harder to pick up young girls in bars as I age. My wife says not to feel too bad about it, but it's hard to not let it bother you some.

CGWildcat
10-13-2016, 11:37 PM
Back to the OP, it just hit me that it is getting harder and harder to pick up young girls in bars as I age. My wife says not to feel too bad about it, but it's hard to not let it bother you some.

Two words....Sugar Daddy! :sHa_grouphug3:

ukblue
10-20-2016, 04:45 PM
Cabbage disease.😭

blueboss
10-20-2016, 06:37 PM
Here's one. Getting up off the floor/ground. Admittedly in my youth the reason for being on the floor/ground was way different from why I have reason to be on the floor/ground now. Typically now it usually has to do with playing with my grandson, or working on something. Regardless for what ever reason I find myself on the floor/ground these days there's no jumping up and getting back up on my feet.