PDA

View Full Version : Someone disrespects the American Flag and it's National Anthem

dan_bgblue
09-27-2016, 05:44 PM
That is Ok because that person has a grievance against the way the country treats some people.

Disrespecting a football jersey is not OK as it is seen a racist (http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/09/27/virginia-beach-restaurant-under-fire-for-using-kaepernick-jersey-as-doormat/)

This country has way too many busy body loons in residence.

Doc
09-27-2016, 05:57 PM
Here is what I've noted.

If you based your beliefs on how the police will act based on a small percentage you are an activist. Showing your disrespect to them is applauded by many

If you base your beliefs on how a race of people will act based on a small percentage you are a racist and your reaction to them will never ever be even considered justified under any circumstances be applaued.

My wife and I had an interesting discussion the other day concerning this. I noted that disrespeting the American flag is "offensive" to many. I personally have no problem with that. But when I mentioned that the confederate flag is much the same, she got very offended because according to her, it was "different". I'm not sure why. I know people who have given life and limb for the American flag and failing to honor it to them is extremely offensive. To me its no more or less offensive than the "stars and bars" yet we saw the national outrage in response to the confederate flag last summer, where statues were removed, history altered, etc for a flag because it hurts the feelings of some, and those who had their feelings hurt are ones the gov't will suck up to.

Doc
09-27-2016, 06:01 PM
The San Francisco 49ers quarterback has sparked a national debate on free speech by refusing to stand for the playing of the national anthem before games.

The other thing I've noted is that people are for free speech so long as your free speach matches their free speech.

CitizenBBN
09-27-2016, 06:06 PM
You know the rule. if you group all white people together based on the actions of a single individual that's not racism, that's just highlighting social injustice.

But if you single out the actions of any minority and in any way question or stand up to them then you're a racist for simply opposing that person.

It's a simple rule, not sure why it's so confusing to the owner of this bar.

and yes, this nation is so chocked full of self absorbed idiots I simply can't get my mind around it. Esp the people I see who clearly have no idea what "racism" means. The definition is ascribing usually negative behaviors to a group or individual based on their ethnicity, but in America right now it's defined as anyone who questions anything a minority person says in any way. But only minorities, you can be prejudiced against white people all you want.

CitizenBBN
09-27-2016, 06:11 PM
The other thing I've noted is that people are for free speech so long as your free speach matches their free speech.

Yep. For Leftists if you call out America that's free speech, but if you call out those who do that's racism or fascism and it's time to retreat to a safe space.

KSRBEvans
09-28-2016, 12:56 PM

Yep.

The longer I go, the more I'm in agreement with the absolutist position on First Amendment issues that judges like William Douglas and Hugo Black espoused. Let everything be said--no restrictions.

Things like communicating a threat and defamation keep me from going that way, but I also think the more we get involved in government regulating speech, the more messed up it gets.