PDA

View Full Version : 10 Most uplifting songs in the world, according to Science

Darrell KSR
09-23-2016, 07:12 AM
Ha! I am redeemed. Billy Joel and Abba both make the list.

http://www.inc.com/chris-matyszczyk/the-10-most-uplifting-songs-in-the-world-according-to-science.html?cid=sf01002&sr_share=facebook

KSRBEvans
09-23-2016, 07:48 AM
Is Horse With No Name in there? :evilgrin0007:

MickintheHam
09-23-2016, 08:54 AM
What a remarkable collection of hits. Sheesh!

Darrell KSR
09-23-2016, 01:10 PM
Yeah, I was hoping nobody would look at the other artists. :)

MickintheHam
09-23-2016, 02:46 PM
At my age the most uplifting song is A Spoonful of Sugar Makes the Medicine Go Down.

Krank
09-23-2016, 03:39 PM
If there is ONE thing I hate about how folks talk about music (not directed at anyone on this thread... more of a comment on the idea of what "most uplifting" means), it's when some of them say... "well, if it doesn't have positive lyrics, I don't like it" or "how can you listen to that angry/depressing/dark/{insert lame descriptor here} music?"

It's as if a reminder of the actual range of human emotions should somehow be forgotten or given little to no credence at all when it comes to...???... music???... of ALL things, the ONE art form that is capable of eliciting genuine waves of emotion amongst members of huge audiences in a blinkin' instant. Never mind that the vast majority of music and art "revolutions" are brought about under circumstances of strife, just "play something that makes me feel good"... right, just something to "soothe the savage beast"... right?

Sure, I likes me plenty of "happy" music, just don't act like it's better, or more important, or whatever extra gas some art weakling "analyst" wants to add to a concept that is pitiful from the outset.

Just make something interesting... and with HONEST passion. Nothing else matters IMO.

Sorry, off my art-snob soapbox... we return you to your normal, uplifting thread... oh, and please do mention to the Maitre' d if the Musik... I mean, ummm, Muzak... gets too "down" for you to eat yer creamed corn.

Doc
09-23-2016, 07:50 PM
Let me guess, Debbie Boone's You Light Up My LIfe??

CitizenBBN
09-23-2016, 09:48 PM
By "science" they mean "dude with a calculator and some rules he pulled out of the air". Which means he probably works on global warming research as his main career. ;)

Besides any list of "uplifting" music that doesn't include "Holiday in Cambodia" by the Dead Kennedy's is not valid.

badrose
09-24-2016, 08:02 PM
Can't believe War Pigs didn't make the list.

kingcat
09-25-2016, 01:50 PM
I can see clearly, Alright now, and Ride Captain Ride would make my list

Doc
09-26-2016, 10:52 AM
By "science" they mean "dude with a calculator and some rules he pulled out of the air". Which means he probably works on global warming research as his main career. ;)

Besides any list of "uplifting" music that doesn't include "Holiday in Cambodia" by the Dead Kennedy's is not valid.

If "by science" then I'm shocked this isn't included

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2VNxmn0lNA

Darrell KSR
09-26-2016, 12:57 PM

Hey, the dude is a cognitive neuroscientist at the University of Gronigen in the Netherlands. I know when I want my uplifting songs, I first think, "what would a cognitive neuroscientist at the University of Gronigen in the Netherlands think about this?"

As usual, with most things like this--he uses an arbitrary formula. There's no "right" to the formula; it's just what HE thought. And even though he is a cognitive neuroscientist at the University of Gronigen in the Netherlands," this formula seems rather random to me:

The formula takes the number of positive lyrical elements in a song, and divides that by how much a song deviates from 150 bpm and from the major key.

But why?

Anyway, I found it fun. Went to his webpage to read a little more about it.

http://www.jolij.com/?p=362

CitizenBBN
09-26-2016, 06:55 PM
It's fun, I enjoy reading about such things.

But the randomness of his formula is very entertaining to me. Even the arbitrary variables are arbitrary, like what he would count as a "positive lyric". That's just great.