PDA

View Full Version : Odds of a 2" crack on my Surface Pro 3 becoming a problem?

Darrell KSR
09-16-2016, 10:55 AM
With no contact whatsoever, no dropws, etc., I noticed what I thought was a hair on my Surface Pro 3 screen this morning. Tried to brush it away, and felt the sharp edge of a real hairline crack. Maybe 2 inches in length, not in the corner, but toward the corner.

Everything seems to be working fine at this point. I did some brief research, and apparently the "phantom crack" is a phenomenon that sometimes occurs on these devices. Mine 99% of the time stays hooked up to a docking station, and when it leaves, is immediately encased in a nice padded case, and really, there was nothing to cause a crack. But who knows? I've had the thing for a couple of years; I know I'm outside any warranty, so I am hopeful it will just be slightly annoying to see. I almost never use the touchscreen anyway, but it seems to be working.

Just ride it out? Wait and see?

I really don't want to change main "computers," so if there is an issue, I'd rather pay whatever it takes to replace the screen if that can be done.

Any thoughts?

KeithKSR
09-20-2016, 06:51 PM
Ride it out. I've had a crack in my iPad for at least three years.

Darrell KSR
09-20-2016, 07:21 PM
Ride it out. I've had a crack in my iPad for at least three years.
Great to hear. Hope I get the same result.

PedroDaGr8
09-20-2016, 08:09 PM
Honestly, if it is going to get worse it will do so no matter WHAT you do about it. So I would just ride it out until it can no longer be repaired. At that point, when it is time for a repair you can also get them to do things like upgrade the harddrive at the same time they are replacing the screen.

Darrell KSR
09-21-2016, 09:51 AM
Good points, guys. I will ride it out and see.

Maybe if the screen needs replacing I will be in position then to need a hard drive upgrade as well. Have plenty of space currently, so wouldn't do it today. Might end up being a little bit of planned obsolescence.

KeithKSR
09-21-2016, 05:00 PM
Great to hear. Hope I get the same result.

I hope you do as well. Replacing the screen on those is a lot more costly than the iPad.

badrose
09-22-2016, 07:05 AM
Just wanted to mention that on the forum menu screen this thread shows up this way:

Odds of a 2" crack on my...

I guess I'll never grow up.:happy0001:

Doc
09-22-2016, 10:09 AM
Did you try a staple? I hear you can fix all kind of electronics with staples

As long as the modulator (?) isn't damaged it's fine. If that is damaged your screen will flick between windows or tabs

Darrell KSR
09-22-2016, 11:57 AM
Just wanted to mention that on the forum menu screen this thread shows up this way:

Odds of a 2" crack on my...

I guess I'll never grow up.:happy0001:

Takes one to know one.

Darrell KSR
09-22-2016, 11:58 AM
Did you try a staple? I hear you can fix all kind of electronics with staples

As long as the modulator (?) isn't damaged it's fine. If that is damaged your screen will flick between windows or tabs

I'm hoping it hangs in fine and isn't anything major. Like I said, it hasn't been drop or struck. It's kept in a pretty secure location that I generally am the only one that has access to it (when it is on the docking station), or on the rare occasion when it travels, it is with me in its case). So hopefully you're right. I mean, about the modulator or whatever it is not being damaged. On the staple, well, I'll hold that as my Ace card if needed.