PDA

View Full Version : This is really cool...special ed kid gets national championship (high school) ring

Darrell KSR
09-13-2016, 10:00 AM

Local high school here went undefeated last year in soccer, and won the mythical national championship, awarded by USA Today, national high school coaches, and a couple of other polls. The team was awarded national championship rings (I saw them last night--very impressive, looked like college ones--big, heavy).

Chandler is a kid who was devoted to the soccer team. "Helped" the coaches, traveled to every away game, was on the bench, and as much a part of the team as anyone. Yesterday they surprised him by awarding him his own ring.

My favorite part of the day.

https://twitter.com/Jaxson_Ellis/status/775442210481250304/video/1

Doc
09-13-2016, 12:13 PM
No big deal. UNC-CH has been giving national championship rings to special ed kids for 20 years. They just call them "basketball players"

suncat05
09-13-2016, 12:22 PM
Very nice gesture by the team, coaches, and the school.

Darrell KSR
09-13-2016, 02:24 PM
I thought so, too, suncat. My daughter knows the kid, and says he is really good-natured and fun to be around. One of the joys of her life has been working with PALS at the school (Peer Assisted something-something). They give up their lunchtime (my daughter eats horribly anyway) to interact with the PALS students, to play games, P.E., and just visit. She has gained so much more than she has given. This kid is one of them, and I couldn't be happier for him. You know he will cherish that ring for the rest of his life.