PDA

View Full Version : Someone agrees with me! (Worst song of all time)

CitizenBBN
09-09-2016, 09:16 PM
I have contended for years, that while there are a bunch of bad songs out there, one stands alone as the worst hit song in history.

It's "We Built This City" by what called itself "Starship", a long nearly unrelated cousin to the great Jefferson Airplane.

Apparently GQ has now picked it as the worst song ever as well, so I feel so less alone on this subject now.

FWIW, honorable mention goes to YMCA and the Chicken Dance.

So what is your most hated song?

badrose
09-09-2016, 09:39 PM
Brand New Key

kingcat
09-09-2016, 10:04 PM
I write the songs and Seasons in the sun

badrose
09-09-2016, 10:39 PM

Excellent choices.What about The Night Chicago Died?

badrose
09-09-2016, 10:43 PM
Remember Timothy?

blueboss
09-09-2016, 11:40 PM
Every song by Abba, starting with Dancing Queen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kingcat
09-10-2016, 10:51 AM
Excellent choices.What about The Night Chicago Died?

Whether due to brain wave trauma or whatever, I had completely blocked that one from my memory.
That doesn't explain why I can still remember Manilow stuff though.

Paraquat related possibly?

KSRBEvans
09-10-2016, 11:44 AM
Honorable mention for Horse With No Name

Darrell KSR
09-10-2016, 12:08 PM
Honorable mention for Horse With No Name
That's not an honorable mention. That's on the list. Very high toward the top. I have some quibbles with some of the others, but that one cannot be disputed.

KSRBEvans
09-10-2016, 12:43 PM
^At Casa Evans, when you hear me mutter "That Damn Song," it's because either Horse With No Name or Rocky Top is being played.

Doc
09-10-2016, 05:18 PM
When I get home.i will.post the worse of all time.

Doc
09-10-2016, 05:24 PM
I can't link but you can look up on YouTube. It's "I wanna love you Tender" by Armi Ja Danny

Doc
09-10-2016, 05:26 PM
But I will definitely give You Built this City as the worse mainstream song.....and that is an easy choice

badrose
09-10-2016, 07:26 PM
Was that on the same album as Jane?

Krank
09-11-2016, 05:36 PM

No.

That was the Jefferson Starship, which included Kanter, Slick, and maybe a few others from the JA, not sure, but "Jane" was from JS' most popular record and, for that kind of thing, it was an okay LP, relatively speaking, lol.

I really don't like any "Starship" much, but I agree that the "just Starship" lineup was just awful. They featured the TRULY irritating Mickey Thomas, who also sang lead on the intensely irritating Elvin Bishop song, "Fooled Around and Fell in Love" which includes one of the WORST lyrics EVER... "I must have been through about a MILLION girls..."; ummm, REALLY dude??? A MILLION girls??? LOL, maybe scale back that ego you two-bit shrieking micro-putz, lol.

As to the question, I think it's a great choice, and it gets even MORE bad props for being so popular on super-cheap corporate retail chain music systems, what with their "gotta save money to get you the deals" mentality, lol.

Here's another funny thing about that song... it was nominated for a Grammy, LOL LOL LOL!!!

More proof that the Grammys, the RnR HOF, effin' Rolling Stone magazine, lol, are EVIL shills for the corporate music machine, which has been casually rejecting challenging artistic ideas in music for a LONG time.

Buck the system, steal your major label music if you can and support indie labels whenever possible. Sorry, editorial over, lol.

As to my potential answer to this question... as difficult as it is for me to narrow all genres of music down to a Top 10 list (Doc's thread) of "best albums", it is INFINITELY more difficult to narrow ALL the bad songs I have heard in my life to just ONE. I mean, I may not have enough years left in my life to come up with a short list, to narrow down to a handful, lol.

One thing I will say is that I have always categorically detested ANYTHING by Canada's Bread. I hate their name. I hate their singer. I hate their style. I hate motherscratching '70's fluff ballads, as it is, but Bread were the effin' KINGS of that garbage. If I had to narrow it to one song, I would choose "Guitar Man", which features a slew of over-produced "style versions" of lead guitar without ACTUALLY hitting a note worth listening to. Yeah, Guitar Man... guitar man who SUCKS at playing interesting guitar, lol.

KSRBEvans
09-12-2016, 10:56 PM

"Jane" was off "Freedom At Point Zero," which I really liked. It was their first album without Marty Balin and Grace Slick and first album with Mickey Thomas singing lead, and he could really bring it (he sang lead on Elvin Bishop's "Fooled Around And Fell In Love"*). Jefferson Starship had been kind of soft rock in the 70s, but "Freedom At Point Zero" was kind of a New Wave/Arena Rock hybrid that was a departure. Also had "Girl With The Hungry Eyes," "Rock Music" and the title track.

Sadly, they got softer (i.e., sold out) when Grace Slick returned and Paul Kantner left the band. "We Built This City" came in 1985.

(More than you ever wanted to know about Jefferson Starship, I know.)

*--I see Krank and I disagree on that song. Maybe it's nostalgia from that era, but I really like that song. Reminds me of summer whenever I hear it.

Doc
09-13-2016, 05:41 AM
Another that gives Built this City a run for its money is Tub thumping by Chumbawamba. That's the "I get knocked down but I get up again" song

And can we include commercial jingles? If so, I nominate Kars-4-Kids

badrose
09-13-2016, 09:38 AM
A bit off topic, but I loved Dire Straits.

Doc
09-13-2016, 10:16 AM
I'll add George Harrison's "Set on You" As you may be able to tell, I despise repetitive songs. Just saying the same thing over and over and over again isn't song writing.

Another two I'd add are "wind beneath my wings" and "Candle in the Wind".

KSRBEvans
09-13-2016, 11:50 AM
I'll add George Harrison's "Set on You" As you may be able to tell, I despise repetitive songs. Just saying the same thing over and over and over again isn't song writing.

Another two I'd add are "wind beneath my wings" and "Candle in the Wind".

So, "Missing You" by John Waite is not one of your favorites, I'm guessing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkExjeUSCcQ

Darrell KSR
09-13-2016, 11:55 AM
No Karma Chameleon votes?

Darrell KSR
09-13-2016, 12:00 PM
Seasons in the Sun was always a favorite of mine back in the day living in Mobile, Alabama as a young teenager with a crush on a Michelle. Probably not the one Terry Jack sang about, however.

Krank
09-13-2016, 02:59 PM
"Jane" was off "Freedom At Point Zero," which I really liked. It was their first album without Marty Balin and Grace Slick and first album with Mickey Thomas singing lead, and he could really bring it (he sang lead on Elvin Bishop's "Fooled Around And Fell In Love"*). Jefferson Starship had been kind of soft rock in the 70s, but "Freedom At Point Zero" was kind of a New Wave/Arena Rock hybrid that was a departure. Also had "Girl With The Hungry Eyes," "Rock Music" and the title track.

Sadly, they got softer (i.e., sold out) when Grace Slick returned and Paul Kantner left the band. "We Built This City" came in 1985.

(More than you ever wanted to know about Jefferson Starship, I know.)

*--I see Krank and I disagree on that song. Maybe it's nostalgia from that era, but I really like that song. Reminds me of summer whenever I hear it.

LOL, sorry if I was a tad salty on my ripping of that E. Bishop song. Hey, it is a "worst song" thread so I let it all hang out, lol.

The weird thing about that song is that the vast majority of Bishop's work is electric (read "rock-influenced") Blues. The thing about Thomas is that he IS someone with a solid set of pipes, and he can really reach some notes, yadig, but here and there he hits one in JUST such a way that I want to pull my entire inner ear out and burn it in effigy, lol.

It's all subjective, taste that is, but I suppose I have heard that track WAY too much, thus I hear every little thing that bugs me about it... times ten (sorry, ELEVEN... "this amp goes to eleven", lol... now there was some QUALITY... Spinal Tap!!!... getcher some "Big Bottom" to wash away them E. Bishop blues, lol).

bigsky
09-13-2016, 05:49 PM
So, classic rawk worst of:

"I wanna know what love is...so why don't you (show) me" by foreigner.

"A Horse with No Name"

"Abraham, Martin, and John"

Currently worst of, Anything with the millennial whoop, or country music with a rap.

Doc
09-13-2016, 08:04 PM
Got to agree with big Sky on I Wanna Know What Love Is. Add Sherrie by Steve Perry

dan_bgblue
09-16-2016, 01:05 PM
Gramma got run over by a reindeer

Darrell KSR
09-16-2016, 02:50 PM
Barbra Streisand by Duck Sauce

Doc
09-16-2016, 07:34 PM
Barbra Streisand by Duck Sauce

anything by ABBA

Doc
09-16-2016, 07:42 PM
A couple to add

DON JOHNSON-Heartbeat.
COREY HART-Sunglasses at Night
GERARDO - Rico Suave
THE HANSONS - Mmm Bop
EDDIE MURPHY - Party All the Time
VANILLA ICE - Ice Ice Baby
BILLY RAY CYRUS - Achy Breaky Heart
EUROPE- The Final Countdown
KISS - Beth

Darrell KSR
09-16-2016, 07:57 PM
Short people got no reason to live

Don't worry. Be happy.

Having my Baby. Paul Anka.

Krank
09-17-2016, 02:49 PM
Short people got no reason to live

Don't worry. Be happy.

Having my Baby. Paul Anka.

The first two are Randy Newman and Bobby McFerrin, respectively. Just in case you wanted to know WHO to hate.

Darrell KSR
09-18-2016, 01:58 PM
The first two are Randy Newman and Bobby McFerrin, respectively. Just in case you wanted to know WHO to hate.
Those are two of my all-time favorites to hate.