PDA

View Full Version : Louisville hotel guidance

bigsky
08-28-2016, 08:50 PM
I am towing a u-haul so free roomy parking is a thing. Need to be a not too bad cab ride from Cave Hill.

Otherwise I'd stay at the Brown with the rest of the Krausses

kingcat
08-28-2016, 10:25 PM
Not certain how nice you want it, but this 3 star Quality Inn is a little away from downtown ( south downtown on I-65) but just as close to cave hill I believe. And with free parking.
I'd inquire about non smoking rooms though.

https://www.choicehotels.com/kentucky/louisville/quality-inn-hotels/ky109?source=yext

KSRBEvans
08-29-2016, 08:26 AM
There are a variety of chain hotels on Hurstbourne, which is probably 15 minutes or so from Cave Hill. I've become a fan of Drury Inns, which usually have great customer service and also have a free Happy Hour and appetizers each evening.

bigsky
08-29-2016, 08:42 AM
There are a variety of chain hotels on Hurstbourne, which is probably 15 minutes or so from Cave Hill. I've become a fan of Drury Inns, which usually have great customer service and also have a free Happy Hour and appetizers each evening. Yes, I am going to Hurstbourne, and there is a good deal at Hyatt Place.

dan_bgblue
08-29-2016, 10:08 AM
Another fan of Drury Inns here. Just not enough of them in places I have to travel to. Except for western TN, I stick with IHG brands to build loyalty points points which amount to quite a bit in a years time.

PedroDaGr8
08-29-2016, 11:03 AM
Another fan of Drury Inns here. Just not enough of them in places I have to travel to. Except for western TN, I stick with IHG brands to build loyalty points points which amount to quite a bit in a years time.

I have never stayed at one. Drury just makes me think of dreary, dunno why.

KSRBEvans
08-29-2016, 11:35 AM
^I never would've considered one, but we went on a trip to Louisiana and stayed at a Drury Inn in Baton Rouge after seeing it ranked highly on Trip Advisor. It lived up to its rating and we've stayed at a couple since then and enjoyed our stays.

Darrell KSR
08-29-2016, 12:31 PM

Ditto. My favorite. Have stayed there more than other individual hotel.

Kids love indoor-outdoor pool, too. I like the suite for the price of what many charge for a regular room. Appetizers can also substitute for a meal in a pinch.

We have one close that when I broke a bottle of some sort of chemical pesticide in the garage, and left to go play golf without addressing the odor issue, and it permeated the rest of the house, we chose Drury Inn. I was pretty dreary at Drury since I had to go back and address the odor the best I could.

But for somewhere around $100, we got a night's stay, several coctails, and a quasi-dinner.

Like Dan said, there aren't enough of them where we go, though.

CitizenBBN
08-29-2016, 09:28 PM
By basic brand for mid-priced places:

1) Hyatt Place. Like the styling, rooms are big with really nice TVs.

2) Drury Inn - have had nothing but solid results, have the popcorn and such.

3) Hampton Inn - have also had good luck with these going in blind.

PedroDaGr8
08-30-2016, 08:12 AM
By basic brand for mid-priced places:

1) Hyatt Place. Like the styling, rooms are big with really nice TVs.

Just stayed at one of these near Dulles for my trip to BKK and Saigon. Exceptional deal for the price! My room was enormous, with a full couch, large TV, huge bed, full working table with internet hookups, etc. On top of that, if you stayed there one night, you could do long term parking on the property (14 days for $25 which is a steal for the area, next best price otherwise that I found was 14 days for $84). They have a free shuttle to and from the airport, which worked out PERFECTLY for my trip.

CitizenBBN
08-30-2016, 06:14 PM
Just stayed at one of these near Dulles for my trip to BKK and Saigon. Exceptional deal for the price! My room was enormous, with a full couch, large TV, huge bed, full working table with internet hookups, etc. On top of that, if you stayed there one night, you could do long term parking on the property (14 days for $25 which is a steal for the area, next best price otherwise that I found was 14 days for $84). They have a free shuttle to and from the airport, which worked out PERFECTLY for my trip.

I've only been able to stay in a few, they weren't as numerous where I went when I was traveling all the time (which was 3-4 years ago now), but I always looked for one. As you said, big and well appointed rooms and REALLY nice TVs. Most rooms have flat screens now, but these were 42" or bigger iirc, with the hookups set up conveniently to plug in whatever you wanted. I could hook up my laptop easily and run a movie now and again at night.

The thread we need to start is on the worst stay stories. Those are moire interesting I'm sure. :) I used tripadvisor a lot, even before it was as big as it is now, and there were some wonderful tales on there of horrible stays. I especially loved one about a hotel where the rooms had two doors, one to the outside and one to an inside hallway. He said he thought it was so when the gangs or junkies busted in one of them you'd be able to run out the other one.

PedroDaGr8
08-30-2016, 07:59 PM
with the hookups set up conveniently to plug in whatever you wanted. I could hook up my laptop easily and run a movie now and again at night.

Yeah, that hook-up panel was impressive. I have NEVER seen that in a hotel room. It literally had EVERY single video and audio option that I could think of including display port, HDMI, S-Video, etc.

blueboss
08-31-2016, 08:10 PM
Stay away from Minardi Hall!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk