PDA

View Full Version : Can I get an Amen?

CitizenBBN
08-25-2016, 08:15 PM
I've always been a huge fan of U Chicago, b/c they are the home of the "Chicago School" of neo-classical economic thought. The work of Friedman is the cornerstone IMO of sound thought on how economies work.A

Anyway, I'm now an even bigger fan b/c the work of men like Friedman is still alive and well on their campus. To wit:
In a letter sent to the class of 2020, university officials said one of the defining characteristics of the school was its unwavering commitment to freedom of inquiry and expression. Civility and mutual respect are vital to the campus culture, the letter states, but not at the expense of shielding students from unpopular opinions or ideas.

“Our commitment to academic freedom means that we do not support so-called “trigger warnings,” we do not cancel invited speakers because their topics might prove controversial, and we do not condone the creation of intellectual “safe spaces” where individuals can retreat from ideas and perspectives at odds with their own,” the letter states.

The report quotes a former president of the University, Hanna Holborn Gray, as saying that “education should not be intended to make people comfortable, it is meant to make them think.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/08/24/u-chicago-to-frosh-no-safe-spaces-here.html

dan_bgblue
08-25-2016, 08:30 PM
Huzza!!

MickintheHam
08-26-2016, 02:48 AM
Hallalulah!!

badrose
08-26-2016, 07:14 AM
Very impressive, especially considering the location. I wish it was contagious.

CGWildcat
08-26-2016, 09:46 AM
Love it!

Darrell KSR
08-26-2016, 09:51 AM
I'm not sure what this says that we're all praising them for doing what I thought everybody did as a matter of course, and it was bizarre when an Emory or whoever did something different.

But then I learned that there were more Emory's of the world out there than I knew. At times I think I'm going to wake up and realize this was all a bad dream...

MickintheHam
08-26-2016, 10:33 AM
I'm not sure what this says that we're all praising them for doing what I thought everybody did as a matter of course, and it was bizarre when an Emory or whoever did something different.

But then I learned that there were more Emory's of the world out there than I knew. At times I think I'm going to wake up and realize this was all a bad dream...
You will wake just as Gisele Bundchen snuggles up to you in. Bed!