PDA

View Full Version : You have 10 albums/CDs to build you music library. What are your picks?

Doc
08-14-2016, 10:40 AM
My picks

1) Exile on Main Street by the Rolling Stone. Obviously a Stones album is needed and might as well start with their best one. Granted, its not loaded with their classic song, if you want that then go with "Hot Rocks" but I'm more about that raw blues sound that started it all

2) The Cream of Clapton by Eric Clapton. Sure, its sort of greatest hits album but with Clapton there is just too many and I had to whittle it down, and I disqualified "Crossroads" since that is a greatest hits anthology. But I also wanted Clapton live.

3) Stadium Arcadium by Red Hot Chili Peppers. Was probably the toughest decision as far as which album to go without going "greatest hits". This one slightly over Californication.

4) The White Album by the Beatles. Fills the required Beatles slot even though there is no official requirement. One of the first rock albums I ever really got into. Several Beatles albums I considered including Sgt Peppers and Rubber Soul.

5) The Walll by Pink Floyd. Many will go with Dark Side of the Moon as a better one but not me. The song Comfortably Numb blows this one over the top.

6) Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen. My stash has to have the boss and the boss was the boss before that Born in the USA crap. This and the River are his best albums.

7) Hotel California by The Eagles. Such a technically smooth album that I can't leave it out.

8) Legend by Bob Marley

9) Appetite for Destruction by GnR. Has all the components of pure rock.

10) The Essentials by Johnny Cash. Needed some variety and this offers it. Was a toss up between Cash and Ray Charles but went with the man in black.

There were literally dozens of others in consideration. Will be interesting to see what others include

kingcat
08-14-2016, 05:46 PM
CCR Chronicle

Bob Seger - Greatest Hits 2

Pink Floyd Animals

Uriah Heep Sweet Freedom

Deep Purple Machine Head

James Taylor Sweet Baby James

Delbert McClinton Never Been Rocked Enough

Merle Haggard 40 Greatest Hits CD

Brad Paisley Hits Alive

Peter Frampton Frampton Comes Alive

Assuming we're stranded together along with the USA Women's beach Volleyball team, we'd sure have the music thing covered

dan_bgblue
08-14-2016, 06:39 PM
You guys bring the music and I will make batteries out of coconut hulls, whatever citrus fruit there is lying around, and some speaker wire I always carry in my backpack along with the multitool and machete. and we will all have a good time. I could substitute a band or an album here and there but all of the above is great music, so I will be happy.

Doc
08-14-2016, 06:50 PM
You guys bring the music and I will make batteries out of coconut hulls, whatever citrus fruit there is lying around, and some speaker wire I always carry in my backpack along with the multitool and machete. and we will all have a good time. I could substitute a band or an album here and there but all of the above is great music, so I will be happy.

Wouldn't it be easier to fix the hole in the minnow and sail back to Hawaii?

Doc
08-14-2016, 06:54 PM
Assuming we're stranded together along with the USA Women's beach Volleyball team, we'd sure have the music thing covered

If that's the case, nix GnR and add Marvin Gaye

kingcat
08-14-2016, 07:22 PM
We are lacking us some Motown fo the get down.

We would definitely need some sway this way and thata' way tunes

dan_bgblue
08-14-2016, 07:39 PM
I would prefer the Temptations.

badrose
08-14-2016, 08:23 PM
Johnny Cash....Live from Folson Prison

Carole King Tapestry

Eagles....Hotel California

Allman Brothers....Brothers and Sisters

The Traveling Wilburys (1988)

Highwayman

Aerosmith Get Your Wings or Toys in the Attic (Pick One)

Gerry Rafferty Baker Street

Rolling Stones Forty Licks (I know, I know)

Steely Dan....Aja

CitizenBBN
08-14-2016, 08:23 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to fix the hole in the minnow and sail back to Hawaii?

I've always been of the theory that if Maryanne and Ginger hadn't been on the trip they'd have fixed the boat and gone home. :)

They did of course have an episode that dealt with why they didn't, where they tried to fix the boat and couldn't make nails to work, then made up some glue that did, but it failed catastrophically and b/c they had applied a coat to the whole boat to seal it it peeled every board off the skeleton.

Of course anyone with the professor's intelligence and the Skipper's common sense could have long since built a proper boat or fixed a hole without nails. They had a saw, that would be enough. In fact in the end that's exactly what they did, build a huge multi-hut sized floating bamboo houseboat.

CitizenBBN
08-14-2016, 08:43 PM
OK, I'll try, this is tough:

1) Dead Kennedys Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables - the ultimate american punk album
2) The Clash London Calling - the ultimate punk album in the world
3) Jimmy Buffett - VERY tough b/c I'd to with Livin' and Dyin' in 3/4 time, but may be forced to "You had to be there", which is a live album that covers that and Havana Daydreaming basically, but isn't just a greatest hits album.
4) Eagles Hotel California
5) ZZ Top Deguello
6) Pink Floyd The Wall (Animals is a close 2nd for me too kingcat, love that album)

I'll have to work on the others. I'll update here. Can one be an album on boat building?

badrose
08-14-2016, 09:45 PM
Dave Matthews' Busted Stuff and Hootie's Cracked Rear View are pretty good but a tad more contemporary than the classics mentioned here.

This thread has me feeling nostalgic. Recording favorites from America's Top 40 on cassettes and picking up WLS out of Chicago late at night on my transistor radio. We were blessed with the music from that era. Not to say good music isn't being made now but it's harder to find and in less quantity, at least for me.

KSRBEvans
08-16-2016, 12:27 PM
--Johnny Cash--The Sun Years

--The Beatles--Please Please Me

--The Beatles--Abbey Road (early Beatles and late Beatles are so distinct, I have to have 1 of each)

--The Stones--Sticky Fingers

--Elvis Presley--30 #1 Hits

--Springsteen--Born to Run

--The Clash--London Calling

--Frank Sinatra--A Man And His Music

--The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band--Will The Circle Be Unbroken

--And on my last one, I'm going to cheat and pick a Motown compilation album to get all the hits: Something like Hitsville USA (https://www.amazon.com/Hitsville-USA-Singles-Collection-1959-1971/dp/B000006NUW)

Darrell KSR
08-19-2016, 10:31 AM
Nobody will like mine, but hey, variety is the spice of life, no?

Here are my 10:

1. Billy Joel, Piano Man

2. Eagles, Hotel California. OK, so that one is popular

3. Wicked Broadway cast recording (Speaking of "Popular....")

4. Doobie Brothers, Taking it to the Streets

5. ABBA (if you can't cheat and take a compilation album, I'll take ABBA over Waterloo). My taste in music has changed SO much. I used to detest ABBA. True story. Now it's my favorite music to listen to when I exercise/run.

6. EITHER Jimmy Buffett OR Barefoot Man. I think I'd take one, but not the other. They are similar to me. Buffett is the big dog, Barefoot Man I met, so he has special significance to me. This one really screams for a compilation album, too, but I think I'd take Buffett's "Changes in Latitude" over his "Son of a Sailor," if I choose Buffett. For Barefoot Man--he has many compilation albums, too. I'd have to get "Under the Coconut Tree." He sung most of those songs at the Holiday Inn outdoor courtyard in the Cayman Islands when I was there enjoying a coctail or two or three, not long after "The Firm" came out (had him playing "Money, Money, Money" in it). My five seconds of fame with the personal connection probably puts him over Buffett. Plus his songs are funnier.

7. Michael Jackson, "Thriller."

8. I lied. I'd take both Buffet and Barefoot Man. So consider # 6 really #6 & #8.

9. Billy Joel # 2, "The Stranger."

10. Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoast, original London cast recording. Man, "Jacob and Sons," "Poor, Poor, Joseph" rock. The music in this show is phenomenal to me. (Other Broadway geeks will sneer at me for shunning ones like Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, Evita, et al, and they may be right, but this is my list, and I'm always a little different even when I'm "same," so there.)

I told ya that you wouldn't like my list.

Darrell KSR
08-19-2016, 10:35 AM
There were literally dozens of others in consideration. Will be interesting to see what others include

I'm not a big music guy--but even for me, there were many, many others in consideration. How could I leave out Sinatra--and no Jazz? I had other Broadway ones that could easily have gone in the list. No Allman Brothers, no Rolling Stones, no Beatles? Sacrilege to many!

dan_bgblue
08-19-2016, 11:03 AM
Billy Joel music can share a deserted island with me anytime

dan_bgblue
08-19-2016, 11:13 AM
I am surprised that The Who, Elvis, Waylon or Willie and Journey have not made anyone's list

Darrell KSR
08-19-2016, 11:24 AM
Good. He was the first concert my wife and I ever attended together, and the last one a couple of years ago. We are both big fans.
Billy Joel music can share a deserted island with me anytime

Man, it's that 10-CD limit. That's suffocating. Even for guys who don't listen to much music, a number like 25-50 would've been easier. Ten is crazy small.

I am surprised that The Who, Elvis, Waylon or Willie and Journey have not made anyone's list

KSRBEvans
08-19-2016, 11:46 AM

I have Elvis. :050:

I had "Who's Next" on the list but had to make room for something else. If we could list 11, it would be there.

Doc
08-19-2016, 02:01 PM
Man, it's that 10-CD limit. That's suffocating. Even for guys who don't listen to much music, a number like 25-50 would've been easier. Ten is crazy small.

If life was easy it would be no fun!

I considered Billy Joel as well in my list, Piano Man. Also Thriller by M Jackson. Bummed I have no Stevie Ray Vaughan or Jimi Hendrix. Wanted to include "Live from Cook County Jail" by BB King but didn't have room. The Who, Fleetwood Mac and Led Zeppelin would also be worth on any list. Now add that none of my current favorites are included like Slightly Stoopid, Cowboy Mouth, Sublime, B Liminal, Ben Harper and April March....instead opting for band that have survived the test of time

dan_bgblue
08-19-2016, 02:11 PM
Sorry BE. Memory slippage for me.

Darrell KSR
08-19-2016, 03:55 PM
If life was easy it would be no fun!

I considered Billy Joel as well in my list, Piano Man. Also Thriller by M Jackson. Bummed I have no Stevie Ray Vaughan or Jimi Hendrix. Wanted to include "Live from Cook County Jail" by BB King but didn't have room. The Who, Fleetwood Mac and Led Zeppelin would also be worth on any list. Now add that none of my current favorites are included like Slightly Stoopid, Cowboy Mouth, Sublime, B Liminal, Ben Harper and April March....instead opting for band that have survived the test of time

I have a little more in common with people than I thought. Good to know/hear.

kingcat
08-19-2016, 07:48 PM
I was going to sneak ELO's Greatest Hits along with us somehow.

dan_bgblue
08-19-2016, 08:22 PM
I already have James Taylor, The James Gang, Grand Funk Railroad, REO Speedwagon, and the Allman Bros Band on a thumb drive that no one will find until it is too late.

Doc
08-19-2016, 08:52 PM
I have a little more in common with people than I thought. Good to know/hear.

Well I suspect you will be the only one who has ABBA!

bigsky
08-21-2016, 08:25 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen, the Grateful Dead

Best of the Seldom Scene

Oscar Peterson And Stephane Grappelli, Fantasy Double Album (sometimes called "Jazz in Paris)

Miles Davis, In Memory of Jack Johnson Sessions (it isnt a compilation)

The Band, and friends, the Last Waltz

Derek and the Dominoes Suoer Deluxe (again, not a compilation)

Dicks's Picks Three, the Grateful Dead

Classic Records Twofer, Amazin Rhythm Aces, Stacked Deck/Too Stuffed To Jump (one disc)

The Who, "Who's Next deluxe edition"

Van Morrison "It's too Late to Stop Now" Volumes 1-4

bigsky
08-21-2016, 08:35 AM
Funny, I didnt read anyone else's replies first and here I am poppin up the Who. I left off Jimmy Witherspoon singing jump blues, Traffic/Winwood (That Clapton/Winwood live at MSG would do nicely), Steve Earle's "The Mountain" bluegrass album, and Bob Dylan's Best of Volume II.

badrose
08-21-2016, 09:32 AM
Leon Redbone, anyone? I mainly put the name here because I have a tough time remembering it. He opened for Steve Martin in Charlotte back in the '90's.

blueboss
08-21-2016, 07:38 PM
Leon Redbone, anyone? I mainly put the name here because I have a tough time remembering it. He opened for Steve Martin in Charlotte back in the '90's.

Back in the day I had a theory that Leon Redbone was actually Frank Zappa. Think about it, anybody ever see the two of them together??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CitizenBBN
08-21-2016, 08:29 PM
OK, my last 4, and this was really hard, and I'll change it I'm sure.

Cherry Poppin' Daddies - Zoot Suit Riot
Devo - Freedom of Choice
AC/DC - Back in Black

Got room for one more. tough choice.

HerbTarlek
08-22-2016, 11:43 AM
Jerry Reed is conspicuously absent. . . so I'll add him.

Jerry Reed: The Essential Jerry Reed

Merle Travis: In Boston, 1959

Weezer: Weezer (The Blue Album)

Bob Dylan (first appearance in this thread, you philistines): Nashville Skyline

Ramones: Rocket To Russia

This is where it gets difficult. . .

Bon Iver: For Emma, Forever

Rolling Stones: Exile On Main Street

The Who: Meaty Beaty Big And Bouncy

Led Zeppelin: Houses Of The Holy

And for the last record. . .

David Allen Coe: Once Upon A Rhyme

And, if I'm allowed to sneak an 11th record on the island in the form of a usb drive under my tongue, it would be none other than fellow Kentuckian and possibly the best singer/songwriter going. . .

Chris Stapleton: Traveller

uklandrn
08-22-2016, 12:05 PM
Someone needs to include Fleetwood Mac - Rumors. I would pick Rubber Soul over the White Albumn. Glad Chris Stapleton Traveller was picked. I'd include something from The Tragically Hip also. I love so many of the albums chosen I don't think I can pick just 10.

CitizenBBN
09-03-2016, 05:54 PM
Bttt.

My 10th is one that should already be on here. Best debut album in history.

Meatloaf Bat out of hell.

blueboss
09-03-2016, 11:28 PM
I'm starting with a Cawood Ledford compilation of classics CD.

Dark Side of the Moon is a must for me.

I'm still trying to decide which Zeppelin to pick.

George Benson is coming along too, haven't been able to pick the right one yet.

The Doors The Very Best Of...can't go anywhere without Road House Blue's

Seriously considering YellowBrick Road, but not sure just yet

Brook Benton is coming along for Rainy Night in GA.

Emerson Lake and Palmer Trilogy

I need to do some more pondering

kingcat
09-04-2016, 01:38 AM
Did anyone bring YES Fragile?

That one brings back good memories for me.

Cricklewood Green by Ten Years After would be nice also.

blueboss
09-04-2016, 05:02 AM
Did anyone bring YES Fragile?

That one brings back good memories for me.

Cricklewood Green by Ten Years After would be nice also.

If I'm bringing Yes it has to have Starship Trooper.

Krank
09-05-2016, 07:40 PM
It would take a while for me to do a genre-less (or "all-genre"?) Top 10.

It would take long enough to pick each genre on it's own.

Of course I would have to factor in collections for certain artists due to the album format being more, less, or not emphasized during certain eras and/or within certain cultural/historical contexts.'

I will try to get back to you on this. Hopefully within the next 40 or so years.

blueboss
09-08-2016, 06:50 PM
Shoot!!! I forgot Bob Dylan, Blood On The Tracks.

Gotta have Tangled Up In Blue!!

Krank
09-08-2016, 08:01 PM
My picks

1) Exile on Main Street by the Rolling Stone. Obviously a Stones album is needed and might as well start with their best one. Granted, its not loaded with their classic song, if you want that then go with "Hot Rocks" but I'm more about that raw blues sound that started it all

4) The White Album by the Beatles. Fills the required Beatles slot even though there is no official requirement. One of the first rock albums I ever really got into. Several Beatles albums I considered including Sgt Peppers and Rubber Soul.

5) The Walll by Pink Floyd. Many will go with Dark Side of the Moon as a better one but not me. The song Comfortably Numb blows this one over the top.

To me, "the White Album" is easily the Beatles greatest work. Furthermore, of the mega-popular super groups of rock and roll, it may be the finest LP of any of those bands. But I tend to really connect with an ambitious work successfully achieved at it's fullest. I sometimes run into folks who downgrade it for being "too weird" or "not as together" as some other of their works. That's on them, though, to hear it that way.

As for the Stones, I am a "Let it Bleed" guy, through and through. I dig "Sticky Fingers" a lot, love "Some Girls" (their last really good record IMO), and also "Exile". I am a hardcore old-schooler when it comes to Blues, so I rarely get deep into their experimentation along those lines. I prefer they highly adapt the form rather than worship the sound of Blues so much, they burn all the essence out of it. Same goes for their country leanings, also prominent on "Exile", but on the whole, it's a good listen, and sometimes great. It has always been the critic's darling, BTW, and I have also known a lot of musicians who rate it best, so you are in good company, depending what you think of critics, lol.

As for my list of Seven Pink Floyd records, I'll take "Ummagumma" 1st, "Wish You Were Here" 2nd, "Dark Side" 3rd, "Animals" 4th, "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" 5th, "The Wall" 6th, "Meddle" 7th.

I guess I am avoiding the cool idea of the thread by listing on your list.

I am going to try to come up with something(s).

Krank
09-08-2016, 08:11 PM
Deep Purple [/B]Machine Head

On a list of "Classic Hard Rock Bands of the 70's", "Machine Head" is an automatic selection. Not a bad track on that record and it features Jon Lord at his best, including the epic interaction with Blackmore on "Highway Star", one of the top "songs to drive to" ever made.

Krank
09-08-2016, 08:19 PM
If that's the case, nix GnR and add Marvin Gaye

1. "I Want You" (particularly for your ambitious "mixing" with ladies above your pay grade, i.e. Lady Volleyball players... only Al Green's "I'm Still in Love with You" is a better GET DOWN record)
2. "What's Going On" (still perhaps the greatest "production" to ever come out of Motown, featuring beautiful use of direct sequel between each song per side of the original vinyl)
3. "Here, My Dear" (the underdog, the angry divorce record, but still, it has incredible musicianship, Marvin's voice at his best, and I like that different emotion. I mean, how often do you hear a divorce record? LOL)
4. "Let's Get it On" (oh just another incredibly sweaty record by the smoothest soul singer of all time).

Some of the greatest soul music of all time right there IMO. It was Marvin's insanely great period... and yes, they are ALL way better than "Sexual Healing"... just sayin'.

Krank
09-08-2016, 08:24 PM
Rolling Stones Forty Licks (I know, I know)

The last time I heard a version of "40 Licks", it was edited, at least in places... for length (single versions instead of album versions) and maybe even for content (?)... not sure, but you may want to check into if there are two versions, and that there may be a superior "longer unedited" version... or I am confusing the whole thing with something else, lol, but I am pretty sure a highly distributed version of that, as a domestic, was edited in some fashion. TIFWIW.

Krank
09-08-2016, 08:37 PM
OK, I'll try, this is tough:

1) Dead Kennedys Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables - the ultimate american punk album

2) The Clash London Calling - the ultimate punk album in the world

5) ZZ Top Deguello

Great selection of "Fresh Fruit", although I believe their 2nd LP, "Plastic Surgery Disasters" is it's equal, and has always been underrated or too aggressive, maybe, to some folks... dunno. I have a lot of "ultimate American Punk Albums"... very difficult for me to place them in order... perhaps later in this thread when/if I spit or get off the pot with the OP.

I respectfully disagree as to the labeling of "London Calling" as a "punk album". No doubt the Clash began as a punk band --inspired like the Buzzcocks, Warsaw (later Joy Division), and many others, by the shocking, and riot-inducing, live performances of the one and only Sex Pistols-- and the Clash helped define punk's song-writing possibilities on their S/T debut (still my fave Clash LP, no school like the OLD school, lol), but "London Calling", despite it's Townsend-inspired guitar smashing album artwork, only uses punk as ONE influence among many. "London Calling" is a pop record, and a very very good one, but that label does it no justice either. It was with this record that the Clash released itself from punk's perceived form boundaries, and explored many realms of rock influence. JMO.

LOVE your pick of "Deguello", without question ZZ Top's best record. "Tres Hombres", and other old stuff is cool by them, but "Deguello" gets the hell DOWN, their concepts are strong, and their playing is SUPER tight and fun.

Krank
09-08-2016, 08:49 PM
I am surprised that The Who... have not made anyone's list

Most would choose "Who's Next", maybe "Tommy" (the original LP ONLY, never never never ANY other version of "Tommy", lol, sorry Broadway lovers, lol), or one of the old compilation hits records, but "Quadrophenia" is their VERY underrated masterpiece, due to few obvious hits, although the ones on there flow beautifully with the whole piece, their most personal concept for any record. Still, "Live at Leeds" has been my fave for decades. The Who's essence, that violence, frankly, captured on that record, is what makes them tick, if you ask me.

Krank
09-08-2016, 09:03 PM
I already have The James Gang... and the Allman Bros Band on a thumb drive that no one will find until it is too late.

By far Joe Walsh's best stuff IMO... their great record is "Rides Again" featuring the still insanely hot "Funk #49" and my personal fave, "The Bomber", with it's three sections including Bolero.

As for the Allmans, gimme "Eat a Peach" all day, every day. That record is THE best "Southern Rock" record of all time if you ask me.

Krank
09-08-2016, 09:28 PM
Devo - Freedom of Choice

Ever heard "Hardcore Devo" (Vol. 1, specifically)?

It's not a "hardcore" record, ala the punk sub-genre, but it's by far my fave Devo. It's their earliest material, most radical sounding work, i.e. NOT pop at all, raw but clear, VERY weird (in a good way), and featuring the original versions of some of the notorious tracks on their major label debut LP, "Are We Not Men?" (which is my strong second preference after "Hardcore"), such as that LP's namesake, really the group's theme song, "Jocko-Homo" in all it's edgy, in-your/their-face glory.

bigsky
09-08-2016, 09:29 PM
By far Joe Walsh's best stuff IMO... their great record is "Rides Again" featuring the still insanely hot "Funk #49" and my personal fave, "The Bomber", with it's three sections including Bolero. As for the Allmans, gimme "Eat a Peach" all day, every day. That record is THE best "Southern Rock" record of all time if you ask me. Cast Your Fate to the Wind

Krank
09-08-2016, 09:40 PM
If I'm bringing Yes it has to have Starship Trooper.

I agree that "The Yes Album" is their best one. I actually slightly prefer track one, "Yours is No Disgrace" to "Starship Trooper", but that was the one that defined the band best and it led to the excellent "Fragile" and the VERY underrated "Close to the Edge", probably my second fave Yes record, the title track being possibly my fave song by them.

One thing about "Fragile"... I really don't think one can underrate their most popular song of that era, and certainly the track most associated with that particular SOUND that Yes had, "Roundabout". When I think about how long that track has shown up on, ya know, Mall/Box Store music systems... it never ends how that song has hooked audiences, yet when you listen to it, I swear it MUST be one of the most sophisticated rock songs EVER to be that accepted by the mainstream. The playing on it, what Howe's guitar, Bruford's drums, and Squire's bass do in particular, is extremely difficult, both in the challenge of how to compose it, AND the talent needed to make it work, yet it flows SO well. Just amazes me that it was ever as popular as it was (and still is, on some level).

CitizenBBN
09-09-2016, 12:12 AM
Krank,

I almost went with Are we Not Men for Devo, I love that album and honestly it's probably the "better" work, but life on an island WITH Devo but without Whip It just seems wrong. :)

Re London Calling, I agree it's definitely not a strict punk album, and the Clash aren't really a strict punk band, but most put them in that category.

Interesting on your Pink Floyd Choices. I like Piper for sure, but I can't separate it from Saucerful of Secrets on the Nice Pair release.

Doc
09-09-2016, 06:56 AM
As for the Stones, I am a "Let it Bleed" guy, through and through. I dig "Sticky Fingers" a lot, love "Some Girls" (their last really good record IMO), and also "Exile". I am a hardcore old-schooler when it comes to Blues, so I rarely get deep into their experimentation along those lines. I prefer they highly adapt the form rather than worship the sound of Blues so much, they burn all the essence out of it. Same goes for their country leanings, also prominent on "Exile", but on the whole, it's a good listen, and sometimes great. It has always been the critic's darling, BTW, and I have also known a lot of musicians who rate it best, so you are in good company, depending what you think of critics, lol.

I look at anything by the Stones after Some Girls as a totally different band. After that album they morphed into something different. Tattoo You is listenable but it's the moment they "jumped the shark"

kingcat
09-09-2016, 06:19 PM
I'm still sold on Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! as the Stones best album. I like love you live too. they are a band that must be listened to live to appreciate the raw energy which is what R&R is born of.

Which reminds me...I must be able to listen to Icarus born on wings of steel by Kansas.

Nope, ten just doesn't come close to cutting it for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kesio4k-dMU

badrose
09-09-2016, 09:52 PM
Krank,

I almost went with Are we Not Men for Devo, I love that album and honestly it's probably the "better" work, but life on an island WITH Devo but without Whip It just seems wrong. :)

Re London Calling, I agree it's definitely not a strict punk album, and the Clash aren't really a strict punk band, but most put them in that category.

Interesting on your Pink Floyd Choices. I like Piper for sure, but I can't separate it from Saucerful of Secrets on the Nice Pair release.

I've always associated Devo with the Talking Heads. Once in a Lifetime was a favorite.

Bakert
12-04-2016, 12:22 PM
Interesting responses.

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed (if for no other reason than it has Gimme Shelter on it)

Guns n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction

The Drive By Truckers - The Dirty South

REO Speedwagon - You Can Tune a Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish (probably the first album I listened to all the way through the first time and loved every song)

Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks (not the best punk band or the best punk record, but maybe the rawest of them all)

Oasis - Definitely Maybe

Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool (not a jazz guy, but would want one and this would be it)

Vivaldi - The Four Seasons (definitely not a classical guy but would want one)

The Beatles - Abbey Road (since I really only need side 2...)

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Second Helping (side 1 - Sweet Home and Working for MCA)

Catfan73
12-04-2016, 07:07 PM
Hard to limit it to just ten.

Rush, Moving Pictures
AC/DC, Back in Black
Eagles, Greatest Hits
Fleetwood Mac, Greatest Hits
Pink Floyd, The Wall
Foreigner, 4
Santana, Greatest Hits
Earth Wind and Fire, The Best of, Vol. 1
Getz/Gilberto, Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto
And the best album of all time...Dave Brubeck, Time Out

CitizenBBN
12-04-2016, 10:37 PM
Sex Pistols, Skynyrd, AC/DC, Eagles, my selections are pretty close to so many on here.

I'm surprised honestly, and you guys need to be worried. Seriously, Sex Pistols? This is my kind of crowd. Anyone want to go drinking and get either a girl or a bar fight depending on the luck of the draw?