08-05-2016, 08:50 PM
CBS is doing a remake of McGyver. I plan on watching the first show anyway

KeithKSR
08-06-2016, 04:58 PM
CBS is doing a remake of McGyver. I plan on watching the first show anyway

It will be tough to top the original.

Darrell KSR
08-06-2016, 07:43 PM
Don't think I ever watched it. Did I miss out?

dan_bgblue
08-06-2016, 08:16 PM
Kitchy, well written, and the stunts were not actually believable, but I thought it was fun to watch. The lead actor, Richard Dean Anderson, did a great job portraying a guy that could solve every problem, every show had one, with duct tape or household chemicals, etc.

Darrell KSR
08-06-2016, 08:41 PM
MythBusters meets Mr. T and the A-Team?

CitizenBBN
08-06-2016, 08:59 PM
MythBusters meets Mr. T and the A-Team?

You nailed it.

I tried to get into it, and I love Mythbusters more than about anything and I even enjoyed the very campy A Team for a while, but never could get into MacGyver.

But IMO it had the same problem the A Team had, which was every week you knew he (or the A Team) would get into some jam and come up with some non-gun way to get out of it, usually b/c the bad guy lacked adequate prisoner facilities and locked them in a barn or garage or basement full of tools and chemicals.

Not trying to run it down, a lot of folks like the series (including Adam of the Mythbusters) and I obviously applaud the whole science/mythbusters approach, but I found the very 80s formulaic approach to be too much to overcome.

Same problem I had with the A Team btw. Loved the early episodes but it was just too predictable.

Oh, one other issue with both: no one got hurt. I don't mind shows where no one gets hurt, but when you're blowing up stuff and battling armed bad guys someone's going to get hurt. Of course with MacGyver the whole point was to do it without guns and hurting people, so it was better than the A-Team where they carried Ruger Mini-14s and never managed to shoot anyone despite being special forces trained, but still.

fwiw Mythbusters tested a series of MacGyver myths. The one they really blew up was one where he blew a big hole in a concrete block wall with a few ounces of potassium (or sodium, I don't remember). It does blow up when you put it in water, but not nearly enough. Of course they took it over the top and used pounds of it, still not enough. The C4 they used worked great though.

Darrell KSR
08-06-2016, 09:03 PM
Sounds interesting enough for me to watch. I will look for it.

CitizenBBN
08-06-2016, 09:07 PM
Sounds interesting enough for me to watch. I will look for it.

It was well received, and a lot of people I know enjoyed it, so yes probably worth checking out.

If I had to guess I'd bet the reboot may be better in that TV has been pushed away from formula shows by better writing and competition, so they may get away from some of that part of it. Serials are all the rage now, and they don't have to create and resolve a problem all in one show.

dan_bgblue
08-07-2016, 09:05 AM
The lead actor in the original show, Richard Anderson, did a great job making the plots, problem solving, and semi believable action scenes believable. He once built an airplane out of bamboo, duct tape, and a motor out of a gasoline powered cement mixer.

Mythbusters did a whole show trying to prove or disprove that those solutions were possible or not.

CitizenBBN
08-07-2016, 09:30 AM
The lead actor in the original show, Richard Anderson, did a great job making the plots, problem solving, and semi believable action scenes believable. He once built an airplane out of bamboo, duct tape, and a motor out of a gasoline powered cement mixer.

Mythbusters did a whole show trying to prove or disprove that those solutions were possible or not.

They didn't have much luck w the plane. I imagine they got it right, too much weight for the lift you'd get from cobbled together wings. Esp with a concrete mixer motor and then two grown men.

dan_bgblue
08-07-2016, 09:42 AM
The sodium bomb did not make much noise either. ;-)

kingcat
08-07-2016, 09:44 AM
They didn't have much luck w the plane. I imagine they got it right, too much weight for the lift you'd get from cobbled together wings. Esp with a concrete mixer motor and then two grown men.

http://img.planespotters.net/photo/540000/original/N503NK-Spirit-Airlines-Airbus-A319-100_PlanespottersNet_540753.jpg

CitizenBBN
08-07-2016, 11:36 PM
The sodium bomb did not make much noise either. ;-)

You know it's not much of a bomb when you can't tell that it detonated. Lol