PDA

View Full Version : Newt Gingrich faux pas yesterday on Donald Trump

Darrell KSR
08-05-2016, 06:35 AM
Gingrich to the Washington Post: “The current race is which of these two is the more unacceptable, because right now neither of them is acceptable.”

Added: “Trump is helping her to win the election by proving he is more unacceptable that she is.”

Gingrich to CBS: “It is obvious from the polling data and everything we are seeing that Trump is making himself unacceptable next to Hillary Clinton,” Gingrich said.

His Twitter machine tried to fix it later:

Media has wildly misinterpreted my critique of a bad week for Trump. Trump is vastly better than Hillary as President.

—@newtgingrich)

I think he is just frustrated.

Doc
08-05-2016, 07:59 AM
Frustrated but correct. IMO the nation does not want to vote for Hillary. However Trump is doing his best to give them no choice. He has to stop with the Petty digs like to one at the Muslim mother, and give up on the media attract. Yes Donald, we know the media is dishonest. Telling us that 10 times a day doesn't help. Go after your opponent. You are not in a race against the New York times! You're in a battle with a lying cheating power hungry liberal witch who has used politics to line her pocket. Attack that.

CitizenBBN
08-05-2016, 08:33 AM
He's right, and he's not inconsistent. he supports Trump over Hillary but he's saying that Trump is managing to shoot himself in the foot so bad he's making himself look like a worse option than a known liar and corrupt politician.

And he's right, b/c Trump opens his mouth and spouts off with one absurd thing after another. I presume it's the same media attention thing he did to win the primary thinking it will work here, and it won't.

I imagine Trump has rejected the intervention by Gingrich and Guliani and others and is certainly ignoring any sound advice he's getting on how to shut the hell up and focus on the issues.

I'm as frustrated as Gingrich, in part at Trump for not being a good candidate and in part at the whole of American democracy that it's come down to a corrupt felon promising trillions in tax and spend versus a reality TV star billionaire.

KSRBEvans
08-05-2016, 12:05 PM
As Charles Krauthammer has said, a gaffe in Washington is when a politician inadvertently reveals the truth, especially about himself. So yes, major gaffe by Newt.

CitizenBBN
08-05-2016, 02:41 PM
As Charles Krauthammer has said, a gaffe in Washington is when a politician inadvertently reveals the truth, especially about himself. So yes, major gaffe by Newt.

Fair enough but I'm hoping, since newt isn't running and no one but conservatives care what he think and liberals think he's the devil, that the only real result is that it may show Trump how bad he did this last 2 weeks that one of his most stalwart supporters has finally said enough is enough.

I think it helped when newt condemned Trump the last time, and maybe will help now too.

KeithKSR
08-05-2016, 03:37 PM
Fair enough but I'm hoping, since newt isn't running and no one but conservatives care what he think and liberals think he's the devil, that the only real result is that it may show Trump how bad he did this last 2 weeks that one of his most stalwart supporters has finally said enough is enough.

I think it helped when newt condemned Trump the last time, and maybe will help now too.

Newt has Trump's ear, hopefully he gets him redirected.

dan_bgblue
08-05-2016, 03:58 PM
If Trump keeps flapping his gums and making idiotic tweets for the remainder of the campaign, I will completely accept the theory that he entered the competition to make sure Hillary did not have a viable opponent for the job.

He is not an idiot, but he sure has been acting like one for the past couple of weeks.

CitizenBBN
08-05-2016, 10:38 PM
If Trump keeps flapping his gums and making idiotic tweets for the remainder of the campaign, I will completely accept the theory that he entered the competition to make sure Hillary did not have a viable opponent for the job.

He is not an idiot, but he sure has been acting like one for the past couple of weeks.

Agreed. He's simply too successful to be this unable to control himself. If it continues I'll accept about any theory about him from rigging the race for Hillary to alien infiltration.

KeithKSR
08-06-2016, 08:17 AM
Trump was in Wisconsin for a rally yesterday evening. He endorsed Paul Ryan, which was nos surprise, but then endorsed the vocal anti-Trump duo of John McKain and Kelly Ayote. Despite his robotic endorsements he didn't "short circuit" the way Hillary did during her "press conference" earlier in the day.

Doc
08-06-2016, 08:37 AM
In short, he needs to grow up and quit acting like a spoiled brat. It served him well in the primaries because his fan base was/is people pissed at the establishment. He has that segment. Now he needs to get the less emotional group. He needs to stop the petty stuff and quit playing the victim. I mean as president you have to withstand "viscious" attacks, or what he refers to as viscious, on a daily basis. If he feels the need to address each and every negative report against him with a personal attack, he won't have time to do any governmental work.