PDA

View Full Version : The Wasted Vote Myth

Darrell KSR
07-31-2016, 01:41 PM
http://freepress.org/article/wasted-vote-myth

CitizenBBN
07-31-2016, 01:45 PM
I sure won't talk anyone out of voting Libertarian.

Darrell KSR
07-31-2016, 02:50 PM
I have been studying it, and him for weeks.

CitizenBBN
07-31-2016, 03:07 PM
I had hoped the GOP would reform from within, and IMO had the right candidate come along this cycle it may have done it. We got an outsider who could come in and get votes, but he's not a man with a Libertarian vision, or really any vision at all.

So the next best option is to get the Libertarian party on its feet, and then either win some elections or force the GOP to pay attention and shift back some. Ideally win some elections, b/c I really think it could sweep the nation if we could get people to realize they're really Libertarian. They are, they just don't know it.

But the Libertarians need to drop some things and borrow a bit from the GOP IMO. Their version of isolationism is too extreme for most otherwise libertarian conservatives for example.

Catonahottinroof
07-31-2016, 03:35 PM
Libertarian encompasses a lot of views from conservative to anarchist. Trump is fiscally conservative and socially liberal. He would fit within any of the parties except for the Green Party imo.

dethbylt
08-01-2016, 10:18 PM
I have always said that if you don't vote your heart/mind, even in a losing position, you are selling out.

Doc
08-01-2016, 10:41 PM
Isnt every vote for the losing candidate a wasted vote?

suncat05
08-02-2016, 10:01 AM
I have always said that if you don't vote your heart/mind, even in a losing position, you are selling out.

So which is worse........selling out? Or getting sold out? Especially when those are the only real choices?

badrose
08-02-2016, 11:09 AM
So which is worse........selling out? Or getting sold out? Especially when those are the only real choices?

Shrewd.

Darrell KSR
08-02-2016, 11:26 AM
My principles are worth more.

Some would say every vote in excess of the amount needed for the winner is a "wasted" vote. That's too simplistic of a view.

No vote is wasted. Every vote means something.

And "no" vote also means something. There's no waste in establishing a vote for your candidate, or your party. Most seem to get that. There are repercussions beyond a W/L single election.

But there are also repercussions in going to the voting booth and declaring no fit candidate. It's beyond a single election. And it has to start somewhere.

I have not eliminated all candidates. Just the only two that could win. Evaluating what my vote will mean for others.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

suncat05
08-02-2016, 01:17 PM
Can't say that I disagree with you, but at the same time not sure that I can agree with you either. If that makes any sense.

Darrell KSR
08-02-2016, 01:19 PM
Can't say that I disagree with you, but at the same time not sure that I can agree with you either. If that makes any sense.
No, I understand your point there, too. There are fuzzy issues throughout, depending on the viewpoint.

KeithKSR
08-02-2016, 02:17 PM
I think fraudulent votes are far more disconcerting.