PDA

View Full Version : John Quincy Adams, BEvans, and me...

Darrell KSR
07-29-2016, 08:45 PM
I think I'm in good company, even if the vote for principle is none of the above.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160730/807f6134ff00a1a2e4948fb9cd73ef4d.jpg

CitizenBBN
07-29-2016, 08:56 PM
A fair point. But since the quote comes from a man who brokered a deal with the house Speaker to become president over the guy who got more votes I'd argue that in the end he supported a more pragmatic approach. :)

I'm not going to lobby anyone on this issue bc I truly get it. I can't imagine a worse pair of choices than this year. It's so bad I keep hoping to wake up.

But I gave up principle on these things long ago so once again I'll cast my vote for the lesser of two evils. Theyre just a lot more evil than usual. A lot. Way. Like wow.

KeithKSR
07-29-2016, 09:10 PM
A fair point. But since the quote comes from a man who brokered a deal with the house Speaker to become president over the guy who got more votes I'd argue that in the end he supported a more pragmatic approach. :)

I'm not going to lobby anyone on this issue bc I truly get it. I can't imagine a worse pair of choices than this year. It's so bad I keep hoping to wake up.

But I gave up principle on these things long ago so once again I'll cast my vote for the lesser of two evils. Theyre just a lot more evil than usual. A lot. Way. Like wow.

I'm casting my vote primarily based on SCOTUS.

Darrell KSR
07-29-2016, 09:18 PM
I'm glad you guys have my back. It's a matter I don't take lightly.

SCOTUS is huge. Scary huge.

badrose
07-29-2016, 09:44 PM
Kicking the ball down the same road we've been on for 4 more years is a scary thought for me. It's already bad.

CitizenBBN
07-29-2016, 10:46 PM
I'm casting my vote primarily based on SCOTUS.

That's where I"m hanging my hat. Trump is simply more likely to put Constitutionalists on the court, and I can guarantee Hillary will pick the most activist judges she can get through the Senate. That's more than enough to sway me. Things like MAYBE not doubling down on the already doubled debt and avoiding her flat promise to be the biggest tax and spend President we've ever seen are just icing.

Doc
07-30-2016, 12:54 PM
I always vote my conscience. I cant vote for a lying bitch who will look the public in the eye and lie some more

I'm actually warming up to Trump. Has a sarcastic wit and some funny press conferences. Plus he will tell you what he thinks which may not be.what you want.to hear......for a change

CitizenBBN
07-30-2016, 06:44 PM
I always vote my conscience. I cant vote for a lying bitch who will look the public in the eye and lie some more

I'm actually warming up to Trump. Has a sarcastic wit and some funny press conferences. Plus he will tell you what he thinks which may not be.what you want.to hear......for a change

Imo the biggest lie hillary has told, and she's told a lot, is not to the public but to directly look a widow of a fallen American in the eye and flat lie about why he lost his life to cover her failed decisions.

What kind of person can do that? You have to be beyond cold. There's a special place in hell for politicians who sacrifice people's lives that way I hope.

KSRBEvans
07-30-2016, 08:36 PM
I think I'm in good company, even if the vote for principle is none of the above.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160730/807f6134ff00a1a2e4948fb9cd73ef4d.jpg

I'll add this from Hamilton, too (ironically spoken about JQA's father, whom Hamilton despised):

http://www.conservativebookclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Hamilton-Quote.jpg

badrose
07-31-2016, 06:37 PM
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13537574_992091344244677_6250466078558555317_n.jpg ?oh=f849e29dcb53714dcb58f191d61618af&oe=58225515

CitizenBBN
07-31-2016, 07:06 PM
Sums it up pretty well, but when you throw a mountain of liberal economic theory on top you can muddy it up so good that it sounds like it will work. It won't, but it'll sound good.

Things like "increased buying power" and such.

StuBleedsBlue2
08-03-2016, 10:04 AM

But you can vote for a lying asshole who will look the public in the eye and lie some more? Not to mention who fails to understand basics civics, has no ability to empathize, degrades our military, insults families of our military, degrades women and immigrants, maintains that he's not a racist even though he continually makes racist remarks and has the temperament of a child, among many other things.

Makes a lot of sense.

At least Darrell has a principle. Citizen and Keith will at least vote for SCOTUS picks, but Trump keeps saying things worse and worse every day and more and more people are jumping ship, but you're warming up to him?

I'm curious as to which of the above qualities do you relate for which you're warming?

CitizenBBN
08-03-2016, 11:45 AM
But you can vote for a lying asshole who will look the public in the eye and lie some more? Not to mention who fails to understand basics civics, has no ability to empathize, degrades our military, insults families of our military, degrades women and immigrants, maintains that he's not a racist even though he continually makes racist remarks and has the temperament of a child, among many other things.

Makes a lot of sense.

At least Darrell has a principle. Citizen and Keith will at least vote for SCOTUS picks, but Trump keeps saying things worse and worse every day and more and more people are jumping ship, but you're warming up to him?

I'm curious as to which of the above qualities do you relate for which you're warming?

B/c Doc, like most of us, knows that what someone says may be as polished as can be but they can be far more denigrating and dangerous in their actions.

What's worse, Trump in a feud with the parents of a fallen soldier, or Hillary denying 100+ requests for additional security for people b/c of the political desire to have things look good and present an image of a successful situation in Libya? What's more denigrating to our military (and Trump has not been denigrating to the military, just to this family by association), saying things that make you wince or going against the advice of the CIA to arm rebels in LIbya who turned out to be a founding part of ISIS?

What's more insulting to those who serve, Trump and his constant ability to put his foot in his mouth or Hillary exposing the names of deep cover operatives some of whom may in fact have been killed due to her complete lack of concern for national security of the information she was handed?

The only thing that makes "sense" in this election is to be outraged at BOTH of them, Trump for his words and Hillary for her actions. Anything else IMO is pretty questionable and likely very partisan.

Then once you get there you have to decide what to do. Do you vote third party, support a woman who is a serial liar and so pathologically self absorbed and corrupt she's a threat to the nation or support a man who is pathologically immature and could be baited by a 6 year old which may make him a threat to the nation?

It's a tough choice. And a very sad one.

For me the SCOTUS picks are first on the list, and second is that while Trump will be 4 years of constant gaffs and cringe worthy comments that in the end offend everyone at one time or another, he will not be corruptly selling the country out like a Tammany Hall machine.

Trump has the risk of being a real mess, but Hillary has empirically proven exactly what she'll do b/c she's been doing it for some years. I'll take the possible devil I don't know and hope for the best bc the devil I do know is about as worst case as you can get for a Presidency. The corruption and irresponsibility is just too high on its own, regardless of the obvious SCOTUS issue.

badrose
08-03-2016, 12:12 PM
^^^THIS^^^