PDA

View Full Version : Not much lining election years

bigsky
07-21-2016, 08:26 PM
Four tears ago I Was fighting leukemia. This year both my stepfather and Mother will die in the next 2-4 months.

Like last time, I really have a hard time engaging about politics. I dislike the whole national partys scene. It all looks so pathetic. Real people are losing their lives, their jobs, their homes, their families, and they, and me, well, dont believe they have any connection to and dont care what is happening to us.

National and state pols all need to be changed like an old dirty adult diaper.

PedroDaGr8
07-21-2016, 08:56 PM
Damn Jeff, that is really rough to go through. My mom lost her dad last year and her mother will be sometime soon (honestly we thought she would already have passed but she keeps holding on, even though her mind is gone).

I agree with you on politics. Politics needs to go more local, get back to being about the interests of the common man. There is NO NEED for us to have capped the house of reps. You could easily get reps down to one for every 300,000 or lower. Would it make votes a tad more difficult yeah, but technology could solve that. Would it make debate more detailed yeah. Would it mean more extremes and more moderates yes.

Also, an interesting voting strategy I saw recently is that you rank your votes in order of best to worst. Say you have ten candidates, then you rank them in order of 1-10. 1 gets the most points, two gets less points, etc.

As someone explained it. Imagine two teams played a game and are now going to their post game meal. One team loves sushi first and pizza second. The second team loves steak first and pizza second. If they are only voting on their favorites the team with the most votes wins but the other team ends up feeling left out because they hate that dish. If you rank your options, the results would go for Pizza. Something both teams enjoy well enough.

I forget the name of this voting system but it would be VERY interesting.

dan_bgblue
07-21-2016, 09:05 PM
bigsky, my heart goes out to you. I empathize with your situation and wish you nothing but comfort and strength in the coming days. Take care and reach out to me if I can help in any way.