PDA

View Full Version : Obama once again sees gun control in this, jeez

CitizenBBN
07-08-2016, 06:49 PM
I'm going to make a post later about my overall take on Dallas, just b/c I need to get it off my chest and I'm very curious if the group thinks it's the right track or I'm being crazier than usual, but I didn't want to mix that up with Obama's AGAIN responding to a shooting with gun control.

here's his statement after he condemned the attack:

“We also know that when people are armed with powerful weapons, unfortunately it makes attacks like these more deadly and more tragic, and in the days ahead we’re going to have to consider those realities as well,” Obama said.

For those who don't know guns (everyone who does already knows this): A sniper style attack is the LEAST gun control relevant of any shooting event. Period.

Why? For those who don't know guns, here's why:

By "powerful weapons" we can presume he's talking about "assault rifles". They have two aspects of power, one of which is the focus of gun control. First they have high capacities and rates of fire, second they are of course rifle rounds and thus are powerful.

The thing is, in an attack like this one the rate of fire isn't that important, and more to the point about any magazine fed rifle of the last century is more than sufficient to have worked in this situation. It could have been any of thousands of types of hunting rifle including bolt action rifles.

what many cite as the "original" mass shooting, the U Texas tower shooting Whitman used a standard bolt action hunting rifle, a M1 carbine, a Sears shotgun, and a couple of handguns, and a pump action rifle. He mostly used the shotgun and the Remington 700 hunting rifle to kill 16 and shoot 49 people overall.

So in this case, sniper attacks, there's no currently proposed gun law that would make a difference. The guy could have been just as effective with a rife from WWI for that matter. He would have passed any background check, avoided any waiting time, you name it.

To prevent access to the type of gun necessary to successfully carry out a WELL PLANNED attack from higher ground we'd have to basically ban hunting rifles and round up the 50 million or so of them in circulation. esp. the well planned, part, with good position he could easily kill a lot of people with a 5 round rifle mag capacity.

it's just nonsense to apply gun control to this situation. GUn bans yes, but not gun control. there's no "common sense" or even wackadoodle proposal out there that would have applied at all. I don't know what he used, but I know what he could have used to do the same damage.

Darrell KSR
07-08-2016, 07:11 PM
So... Next week is a bad time for me to be shopping for a G19?

CitizenBBN
07-08-2016, 08:06 PM
So... Next week is a bad time for me to be shopping for a G19?

I think all the Obama conspiracies like him being a Muslim or foreign born are all a cover for the real conspiracy: that he secretly owns millions of shares of gun company stocks.

KeithKSR
07-09-2016, 04:58 PM
Saul Alinsky's "Rules for Radicals", the 8th rule: Keep the pressure on, with different tactics and actions, and utilize all events of the period for your purpose.

Or as Rham Emmanual said, something like, "never let a good crisis go to waste."

Catonahottinroof
07-09-2016, 08:29 PM

CitizenBBN
07-09-2016, 09:00 PM
lol. Coincidentially I keep wanting to take time to post about Dallas and Chicago kind of bears on it.

Black Lives Matter has condemned this attack, but various parts of the organization have in fact called for the death of cops, and as a whole they've focused exclusively on this media created myth that black people are being killed by cops by the thousands.

I agree any unjustified killing of any person by an officer is horrible and serious and a very big deal, the truth statistically is that 99.5% of blacks who are killed are killed by people other than cops, and the vast majority are in fact killed by other young black males. The reason is that drugs and crime are rampant in places like Chicago's poor areas and that's far and away the biggest day to day threat to their lives and communities, not the police.

There are bad cops no doubt, those who have joined more b/c they enjoy the power and control than the desire to serve, but there are far more bad people out there in gangs and the drug trade who are the far greater threat.

So the point is this: where is Black Lives Matter when 5-10 black kids are killed on a weekend of gang turf violence in Chicago dang near every week? Where are their protests to ask for MORE police, to ask for communities to come together?

There are even some "us v. them" issues they could get into there, like the war on drugs. IMO largely created and prosecuted by middle america on the notion that we don't want drug use, they've done nothing but create a 40 year version of Prohibition which has failed miserably.

We probably need to change focus from the victim society, safe spaces and microaggressions and get back to brass tacks on things like the lack of jobs and opportunity, drug use and the economy generally, b/c that's what really drives these problems. People with hope and a future don't go out murdering at nearly the rate of desperate people who feel they have nothing to lose.