PDA

View Full Version : Jackbox TV

Darrell KSR
07-03-2016, 09:13 PM
Anybody else play these games? We have had the best times at my house playing these games. We love Fibbage and Quip Lash, especially.

Great for adult party games, but with my youngest child now 15+, and with four living at home, it has been our modern day board games.

Not going to waste time taking about them if nobody else plays them, but we have had many nights playing these games for about an hour or so. With everybody having smartphones and tablets, etc. it was a very creative way of making very fun games.

CitizenBBN
07-03-2016, 09:33 PM
I'd like to hear about it, b/c I have no idea what you're talking about.

blueboss
07-05-2016, 09:45 AM
My curiosity is peaked as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CitizenBBN
07-05-2016, 11:08 PM
My curiosity is peaked as well.

I dated some girls like this. Tease you all up and then leave you hanging.

Darrell KSR
07-06-2016, 08:16 AM
Lol. Waiting til I have time with laptop to do it justice. It's a great game, tons of fun. Really works best for adults and older children (mid-teens). More players, even better.

blueboss
07-07-2016, 12:46 AM
Who knew? What a tease! I'm gonna have to change the last part of my handle from "boss" to...

CitizenBBN
07-08-2016, 08:23 PM
Damn, how long can it take to wash one's hair?

PedroDaGr8
07-08-2016, 10:57 PM
I have no clue what those games are.

The last game i played with friends was Cards Against Humanity and somehow we ended up with a perfect 4 way tie.

Darrell KSR
07-09-2016, 12:16 PM
Sorry, sitting out a ride at Disney and saw this thread. Good chance I will hold you off until Monday so I can do it justice.

I'm not kidding, though. It's a great game (or set of games). Combines snark, trivia, adult humor (99% of that is conducted by your players - it's not a dirty game, but there can be solid innuendo there that's fun), smartphones and/or tablets, and your TV. We laugh consistently with it, chew each other out and have a blast.

I'll give you examples and more by Monday night late. Or Tuesday. Maybe sooner.

Darrell KSR
07-12-2016, 09:36 AM
OK, you've been very patient.

Jackbox TV really is a collection of Party Games. We bought the original 5-game "party pack" and then my son bought another set recently, so we have like 10-games or so on it. I think there's a TV show or something called, "You don't know Jack," that this is based on, or created by the developers of that, or something. I don't know, haven't seen that show/series/whatever.

I'll focus here on two of them, although there are many really cool ones.

Fibbage is the one we've played the most. Basically, the mechanics work like this. You start the game from the computer or wherever it was purchased initially. Then all players go to the website, www.jackbox.tv. They use their own smartphones, tablets, or laptops (or desktop wouid work). Smartphone is very easy to use on the game, and my preference.

They enter the "room code" generated, and they're in. Type in a name--ours are always silly, snarky, sarcastic, whatever, and start the game.

Onto the games:

Fibbage -- A question will pop up, trivia-like. It may say something like, "The mayor of Rabbit Hash, Kentucky is a _____.”

You type in your lie. You try to make it something other people might think is the right answer. After a time elapses (or all players have input their lies), a screen pops up with the "answers." One is correct. The rest are lies.

You then choose the correct answer. If you get it right, you get points. If opponents select your lie, you get points. If you select an opponent's lie, they get points.

The trivia questions can be bizarre, which makes creativity at a premium and lying fun. The complaints are that the questions repeat themselves too often, even after upgrading. We have run across that "a little," but try not to mix it in with some of the other games when we play. (We usually play a couple-three times a month, maybe for an hour or two).

The next game I'll mention is "Quiplash." Again, creativity (or maybe weird thinking) is a plus here.

Simple game with no right or wrong answers. Just "favorite" answers. Quiplash will give you a question, like, "A double rainbow doesn’t have gold at the end of it. Instead, it has ______."

You then type in your answer. At our house, an answer like "cash" would get nobody's vote. But an answer like, "two LBGT parades" might get some favorites. Or "unicorn farts." Or you name it.

I'm not sure we've ever done it, but technically, you can allow votes from "the internet" in general, and up to 10,000 people can vote/play at a time. So even if you have more than 8 people at your party (the games usually say 2-8 people), more can really play this way.

The games are for semi-mature players, IMHO. I have a 15-year old son, and I think he's fine to play it, although there are some innuendo topics that can get a little uncomfortable for some. Use your own discretion.

Have a couple of friends over for drinks and these games, and you'll have a blast. Or if you have a weird big family like I do, you'll have fun, too.

We have found that the more players, the better. We've had 8 playing, and it works great then. The "sweet spot" for us seems to be 5. When you go from 4 to 5, it really enhances the fun.

Darrell KSR
07-12-2016, 09:47 AM
Here are the games we have (there are more):

Jackbox Party Pack:

*You dont' know Jack 2015
* Fibbage XL
* Drawful
* Word Spud
* Lieful
http://jackboxgames.com/project/jbpp/

Jackbox Party Pack 2:

* Fibbage 2
* Earwax
* Bidiots
* Quiplash XL
* Bombcorp
http://jackboxgames.com/project/jbpp2/

PedroDaGr8
07-12-2016, 10:40 AM
Oh wow, "You Don't Know Jack" damn I used to love that game. It was a highly sarcastic computer trivia "gameshow" where you competed against friends at one computer. The game had categories like "Bar Hopping with Grandma" "The Life & Times of Snack Cakes" "Grammar For Idiots" "Poultry & X-Rated Films". They also had a feature where you could "screw your neighbor" where if you didn't know and you think they didn't either, you could force them to guess an answer (if they get it wrong they lose points).

Example of a question in the category "Guess Whom We're Having for Dinner"

Q: If you took the deposed ruler of Cambodia and baked him in a light, flaky crust, what would be the best name for your creation?

1. Baked Chiang Kai-Shek-en
2. Mao Tse-Cow's-tung
3. Mussolini & Cheese
4. Pol Pot Pie

Offensive games like Cards Against Humanity, owe their back history to games like "You Don't Know Jack". If these games you mention are made by that company there is a good chance it is quite funny. I loved You Don't KNow Jack as a kid, we used to play it for hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRE-gCJ7fCE