PDA

View Full Version : Lake Winnie vs Beech Bend Amusement Park

Darrell KSR
06-20-2016, 01:06 PM
Have been to Beech Bend a couple of times, and made our first visit to Lake Winnie near Chattanooga this past weekend. Like both parks. Much more "our" speed than the Six Flags kind of adventures. Those are just so big, and so many people it gets to us. And nobody likes waiting in our crowd.

Anyway, a few things of note.

* We were living right, apparently, as when we walked up, the four of us were approached by a lady who asked if we had our tickets yet. When we told her we did not, she gave us two admission tickets, $33.95 each. Wouldn't take money; said they had already spent it and their son and daughter-in-law couldn't go. Their treat. Then add in that it's only $16.95 for "Seniors" at Lake Winnie--which starts at age 55!--and it made it dirt cheap for us for the day at Lake Winnie.

* Will go straight to the wooden roller coaster, my favorite things in parks (still, as an old Senior, apparently). Kentucky Rumbler is much better than Cannon Ball. I have never been on a bad wooden roller coaster, so it's all a matter of degree, and Lake Winnie's Cannon Ball was very smooth for a wooden roller coaster, but it was straight out and back, with nothing but a few hills. Got some air time, and it was 1 min, 32 seconds, which is fine for that type of ride, but nothing special. Kentucky Rumbler, to me, is special. Has 3 station "fly bys," which I think is still a record. Lot of curves in a wooden roller coaster. I'm not an afficionado, we don't go very often, but to me, one of the things about wooden roller coasters is how it seems to "sway," or "give" with the coaster because of the design build, unlike a steel coaster which is rigid. The sway is cool; a little more fun-infused. Anyway, with the various turns and fly-bys, Kentucky Rumbler has more of it. It's a little taller, the drops are a little bigger, and it's about 600 feet longer. Speed is similar.

* The other thing I like the most about these type parks is the log ride. Love 'em. The boat chute at Lake Winnie is the oldest in the country. I was really looking forward to it. Liked the design, where you go into a dark tunnel first, then come out, and splash down in the Lake itself, which is really cool. Unfortunately, it was a pretty big disappointment. The dark tunnel was kinda hot, and too long with nothing going on. Could've marketed it as a tunnel of love, I guess, but it wasn't; it was just too long to get to the splash down. The little one at Beech Bend has a couple of splashes, rather than just one. It's more of a portable ride, but big enough, and could get a whole lot more people through more quickly than the ever-so-long Boat Chute at Lake Winnie.

After those two complaints, I liked Lake Winnie a lot. Nice, "chill" sky ride over the Lake that we rode a couple of times just to relax and cool down. Having paddle boats was a nice touch on the lake, too. Most of the other rides were similar for Beech Bend and Lake Winnie--my son thought Lake Winnie had a few more "adult" sized rides than Beech Bend, but said that Beech Bend had even shorter lines (that likely had to do with different days or time of the year; my guess is that both are similar in general. When we went to Beech Bend last, true, we caught it at a great time, and we could ride the Kentucky Rumbler, come down and get off, and get back through the line and ride the very next one; same for Whitewater Express (the log ride), and others. Lake Winnie was "crowded" Saturday, which meant you had to stand in line about 5 minutes a ride. I can deal with that. If you were lucky, you could walk up to a ride, and get right on. If you were unlucky, it meant you had to stand in line while they finished loaded, watch one group ride, then when they finished, you'd be on.

You can bring your own cooler and picnic basket in, but the prices for drinks, snacks, and food was very inexpensive.

This won't interest a great many people who only have fun at Six Flags, Disney, etc., and that's fine. But many of us enjoy the small park, where you walk around, feel like you're at a county carnival, and when you decide to ride something, you don't have to wait.

Overall, considering everything, and the fact it is 1.5 hour closer to my house, Lake Winnie gets two thumbs up to match Beech Bend.

kingcat
06-27-2016, 06:08 PM
of course, you know I had the heart attack in December and have a stint in my left main artery.

I told my wife last week I could not give up the wooden coasters. it makes me feel life is at an end for me. So I said, I don't want anyone to say, "he should have known better" or why did he do such a silly thing"
Just say he was doing something he loves.

I've decided I will ride again. Not over and over, and not the beast or death defying wooden coasters (which I love too) but the type you mention. Thunder Run in Louisville is a blast by the way. As are The Racers at KI

I'm on no restrictions by the way

Darrell KSR
06-28-2016, 11:38 AM
Good deal, Kingcat. I'm glad to find a fellow wooden coaster fan with me. I don't go around the region hunting them out, but I sure like to find them when I can. I like the rumbling nature of them; sorta reminds me of an oldtime train. And the swaying and movement just is more "fun" to me than a steel coaster that has to replicate it with speed, loops, etc. Nothing wrong with that, but as I have aged, I find I enjoy those less and wooden coasters more.

But keep taking care of yourself, please. I like to think a wooden coaster infuses more life into you than takes it out, and I bet you agree with me, but we both need to listen to our doctors in the long run, too. So be sure and do that as well.

Doc
06-28-2016, 10:51 PM
I'm a big woodie fan. I prefer woodies to anything else. We did six flags Arlington in early June where they have a virtual reality coaster but we skipped it due to EXTREMELY slow load times ie 1 coaster every 4 minutes, but they have some good wooden coasters as well as a hybrid which had an old time feel but not as jerky.

But for roller coasters, nothing beats cedar point in sandusky Ohio. For us it was worth the 20 hour drive. Hersey Park is one of my favorites as well for the old time small parks.

dan_bgblue
06-29-2016, 10:03 AM
But for roller coasters, nothing beats cedar point in sandusky Ohio. For us it was worth the 20 hour drive.

9 hour drive for us, but ditto on Cedar Point. There may be better parks for coaster fans, but I do not know where it is

Darrell KSR
06-29-2016, 12:02 PM
Sandusky, Ohio....hmm. Maybe if we're closer to the area for some other reason, but sounds great. It's 1400, maybe closer to 1500 miles roundtrip for me. Not as far as Doc, but I'm not as diehard as he is.

Sounds like one of those trips if I'm already in the Louisville-Cincy area, it's worth going ahead and making the trip for sure, given enough time.

dan_bgblue
06-29-2016, 12:09 PM
Cedar Point's Mean Streak Wooden Coaster (https://www.cedarpoint.com/rides/Roller-Coasters/Mean-Streak)

dan_bgblue
06-29-2016, 12:15 PM
And if you want pure speed and stomach wrenching drops on a steel behemoth, check out Millennium Force (https://www.cedarpoint.com/rides/Roller-Coasters/Millennium-Force)

Doc
06-29-2016, 12:29 PM
The premium one at cedar point is top fuel dragster. Lasts <20 seconds but worth the 90 min wait.

I was going to post a rick Pitino joke here but then I thought I'd leave it best left unsaid

dan_bgblue
06-29-2016, 12:36 PM
Top Fuel Dragster (https://www.cedarpoint.com/rides/Roller-Coasters/Top-Thrill-Dragster)

I do not consider it a coaster, more on the order of a rocket sled