PDA

View Full Version : We're #7, dropped from #1

Darrell KSR
06-13-2016, 07:40 AM
When accounting for population.

Not sure I agree with the premise, or disagree, just throwing it out here for discussion.

http://www.ijreview.com/2015/12/348197-paris-attack-claim-mass-shootings/?utm_content=buffer60c8f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

CitizenBBN
06-13-2016, 08:01 AM
I think you have to do these things based on population since that measure is the one that most accurately describes what really matters to people on this subject: the chance of you or your loved ones being caught in such an incident.

It's a big country, we're going to have more of these incidents than England even without regard to the differences in gun policy and other factors.

Incidents in the UK are lower, but what is interesting to me is that they have them at all b/c they have what is basically an all out gun ban. You can have nothing more dangerous than a double barrel shotgun in the UK and even that comes with a host of approvals and regulations. No handguns, certainly no mag fed rifles.

Same thing for the countries ahead of us, mostly Scandinavia. They have severe gun restrictions yet have had a lot of incidents relatively speaking. The big one the guy went to great lengths and got the guns shipped in from abroad.

I'd like to see a way to prevent these kinds of shootings as well, but I have yet to see a gun control plan that would make a difference. I also have no doubt people intent on killing like this will find ways, which leads to my other question...

I'd like to see bomb data included in this list. Not just gun events, but all such random attacks by any means. I don't necessarily think it changes that list a lot but I'd be curious.

KeithKSR
06-13-2016, 04:05 PM
I imagine we would free fall to the bottom of any list which compared these types of incidences to the total firearms in possession by the citizens of the country.