PDA

View Full Version : Should Kentucky create a statue to Muhammad Ali?

UKFlounder
06-07-2016, 06:40 PM
This is a bit long, but here are some of my thoughts and questions on the idea.

http://www.civilwarobsession.com/2016/06/should-louisville-replace-confederate.html

ukblue
06-08-2016, 02:19 PM
Someone undoubtedly will but would not be my choice. Refused to serve his country, became entwined with radical Islamics. 58,000 soldiers died during the Vietnam war and a goodly number of them were African American. Some will argue that Ali was a conscientious objectors to the war. Other co's, black and white, had a choice of jail, Canada, or serving in the military. One small thing, I think Ali made his contention that he was a co's and pacifist by willingly getting into the ring and beating the hell out of another person for money. Jmho

UKFlounder
06-08-2016, 02:36 PM
That's definitely a valid viewpoint to consider.

kingcat
06-09-2016, 05:46 PM
If Rocky Balboa has one, how can I argue with Ali having one?

suncat05
06-10-2016, 10:47 AM
If Rocky Balboa has one, how can I argue with Ali having one?

Hard to argue against that point.
I can agree that there should be one, given his pugilistic accomplishments in the ring. I am still, however, after all of these years, not fully accepting of his argument of being a "conscientious objector" to serving in the Army when he was fully willing to climb into a boxing ring for pay. That just doesn't wash with me. But honoring him with a statue for his boxing accomplishments, yes, I'm good with that.

UKFlounder
06-10-2016, 11:39 AM
can a statue both honor his boxing accomplishments and discuss the other issues too (maybe include a plaque with a paragraph about his life?)

Hard to argue against that point.
I can agree that there should be one, given his pugilistic accomplishments in the ring. I am still, however, after all of these years, not fully accepting of his argument of being a "conscientious objector" to serving in the Army when he was fully willing to climb into a boxing ring for pay. That just doesn't wash with me. But honoring him with a statue for his boxing accomplishments, yes, I'm good with that.