PDA

View Full Version : TeamViewer Hack

PedroDaGr8
06-04-2016, 03:37 PM
This likely doesn't apply to most people here but just in case.

If you have and use TeamViewer (a remote desktop software) uninstall it now. It appears the TV servers may have been compromised and have access to the passwords. There are an insane number of reports of people coming to see that someone has taken over their ocmputer and is ordering stuff and transferring money on their computer. The hacker logs into the computer, uses the passwords on the computer to access paypal, transfer money, order itunes gift cards, purchase expensive computer equipment with overnight shipping, etc. TeamViewer has been stone-walling blaming the hacks on weak passwords but many people are reporting complex and unqie passwords also being hacked. At this time, nobody is sure WHO is right, so until things shake out better, I am advising everyone to uninstall it if you can. If not, clear your browser password cache because the first thing they do is use a tool to dump all of the browsers saved passwords

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/06/teamviewer-users-are-being-hacked-in-bulk-and-we-still-dont-know-how/

Darrell KSR
06-04-2016, 04:40 PM
Pedro, my son called me earlier this week from work and said not to turn any of the computers on when I got home, and that he had to do something related to this and ransomware. So I have no idea what, but I'm guessing we were affected.

PedroDaGr8
06-04-2016, 07:15 PM
Pedro, my son called me earlier this week from work and said not to turn any of the computers on when I got home, and that he had to do something related to this and ransomware. So I have no idea what, but I'm guessing we were affected.

He might have been proactive but yeah if you had TeamViewer installed you were succeptible to being hacked. I didn't see too much ransomware going on but cetainly illegal purchases.

CitizenBBN
06-04-2016, 09:34 PM
This is one reason I use a pretty obscure piece of software for remote, and I ONLY use software I can buy and run myself, 100% independent of the cloud. Much safer to be a very small target in a big ocean rather than to be in a database on some juicy target of a cloud server.

I'm checking out keepass, that's probably my best option. Again something standalone I can manage myself.

KSRdallen
06-04-2016, 09:46 PM
I used to use Team Viewer, but uninstalled it some time ago from my computers except for my iPad App, which I just deleted. Sounds like a potential mess.

Darrell KSR
06-05-2016, 12:32 PM
Fwiw, apparently we had two issues. The ransomware issue was wholly unrelated to TeamViewer, but we *also* had the *TeamViewer* issue as well. He said he didn't trust any releases they gave, explanations or comments and deleted it entirely from the system.