PDA

View Full Version : Say it ain't so....Hostess to close

okiecat
11-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Black Friday has come a week early as Hostess Brands is being forced to close as the result of a prolonged strike. Future generations will be deprived of Twinkies, Ho-hos, Ding-dongs, Sno-balls, and other sugary treats (like there aren't plenty of others out there). I remember that my mom would buy two packages of Sno-balls (my favorites) and once a week I would get one Sno-ball in my lunch in place of fruit. Maybe when I go to Walmart this afternoon I'll have to buy 'em out!

CitizenBBN
11-16-2012, 11:39 AM
I'll be shocked if the main brands aren't picked up by others, but I doubt we'll see national distribution. They'll go the route of other long time favorites, produced by small business producers. I would think Twinkies and the other biggest ones will be picked up by larger companies, but I still expect regional distribution.

Heck, in New York they were probably going to be made illegal anyway. They'll sell in the south, maybe Cracker Barrel like all the other candies of old.

bigsky
11-16-2012, 11:54 AM
"Employer busting"

MickintheHam
11-16-2012, 01:10 PM
You can thank Michelle Obama. It used to be every lunch pail had a twinkie or hostess cupcake.

ColonelSteve
11-16-2012, 03:42 PM
There are some sad stories on the news where people are losing their jobs, yeah they were on strike but they were putting up with a lot for a long time, one lady said she worked for 30 years right out of HS and was set to retire in March...she's now lost everything, that is a sad story. What's not sad is all this junk going away, this country has become so fat off this garbage it's not even funny, yes it's nice to have something sweet every once in a while, but somewhere along the way we have forgotten moderation and waistlines have exploded as a result, this might be good to remind people that there are other good stuff for you that isnt straight poison

bubbleup
11-17-2012, 07:25 AM
There are some sad stories on the news where people are losing their jobs, yeah they were on strike but they were putting up with a lot for a long time, one lady said she worked for 30 years right out of HS and was set to retire in March...she's now lost everything, that is a sad story. What's not sad is all this junk going away, this country has become so fat off this garbage it's not even funny, yes it's nice to have something sweet every once in a while, but somewhere along the way we have forgotten moderation and waistlines have exploded as a result, this might be good to remind people that there are other good stuff for you that isnt straight poison

Michelle, is that you?

dan_bgblue
11-17-2012, 04:35 PM

CitizenBBN
11-17-2012, 04:58 PM

That's completely brilliant.

KSRdallen
11-17-2012, 07:40 PM
+1

That's completely brilliant.

KSRdallen
11-17-2012, 07:41 PM
Completely agree. The brands are too valuable for them not to be picked up.

I'll be shocked if the main brands aren't picked up by others, but I doubt we'll see national distribution. They'll go the route of other long time favorites, produced by small business producers. I would think Twinkies and the other biggest ones will be picked up by larger companies, but I still expect regional distribution.

Heck, in New York they were probably going to be made illegal anyway. They'll sell in the south, maybe Cracker Barrel like all the other candies of old.

dan_bgblue
11-17-2012, 07:57 PM
I hope Little Debbie picks up Twinkies and Ding Dongs. That would mean I would still have them locally.

dan_bgblue
11-17-2012, 08:04 PM
Or even better, Kroger could buy them and have them made right here in BG at the Country Oven Bakery.

BarristerCat
11-17-2012, 10:52 PM

Completely agree. The brands are too valuable for them not to be picked up.

I agree. Somebody will buy the Hostess name and recipes and start making them again.

dan_bgblue
11-18-2012, 04:53 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/18/will-twinkies-prove-sweet-deal-for-mexican-billionaire/?test=latestnews

dan_bgblue
11-18-2012, 05:23 PM
Home Made Twinkie Recipe (http://magazine.foxnews.com/recipe/hostess-strike-threatens-put-company-out-business-time-homemade-twinkies-recipe)

Darrell KSR
11-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Homemade twinkies?

Oh, maaaaaaaan....gotta try those. I'm not a huge twinkies fan, but the idea of fresh baked ones are very appealing. Wonder if you can make them double the size (rather than just eating two of them.)

SalsaKat
11-19-2012, 01:47 PM
^^^Have seen several different recipes so far for homemade Twinkies and each one has been remarkably different.

One thing I see though is that if you don't have a canoe pan you can double-layer some aluminum foil and roll it around an appropriately sized spice jar to get that "half-cylinder" shape, then crimp the edges to make a baking mold. Personally I think I will just bake it in a pan and cut it into rectangles about the right size. Close enough.

Actually, here is one that I wanted to try: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/07/dining/homemade-twinkies-recipe.html?_r=0 You can also search the site to find a recipe for those cream-filled chocolate cupcakes.

dan_bgblue
11-19-2012, 02:49 PM
There is still a bit of hope (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/19/hostess-union-hopes-buyer-will-put-employees-back-to-work/)

CitizenBBN
11-19-2012, 03:22 PM
There is still a bit of hope (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/19/hostess-union-hopes-buyer-will-put-employees-back-to-work/)

The Hostess CEO is far more right than the Union President. What company would want to jump in and take on contracts with the union that just broke Hostess? They have old plants and equipment, union problems and a questionable distribution system.

They'll want to absorb these products into existing newer facilities already set up with distribution without the union contracts and other liabilities of the company.

FWIW, I'll try to avoid politics here but this is the "bankruptcy is good" point Romney was making. This went into Chapter 11 (pretty sure), which only freezes their creditor situation so it can go before a judge. The Judge then determines where to go and he's decided they need to give talks another try. "Bankruptcy" doesn't mean they even stop operations, it's a legal form where an impartial judge can step in and take actions that may lead to closing the doors and selling things off or not.

This is the system working exactly as it should.

dan_bgblue
11-20-2012, 06:58 PM
I agree 100% CBBN, and it looks like Hostess will be allowed to liquidate. I guess the White House is not a fan of Twinkies.:winking0011:

Mediation Failed (http://www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2012/11/20/mediation-between-hostess-union-fails/)

jazyd
11-21-2012, 09:34 AM
Michelle and family eats them in the closet, won't be 'coming out' anytime soon. Notice those hips of hers, all Hostess filled.

I agree 100% CBBN, and it looks like Hostess will be allowed to liquidate. I guess the White House is not a fan of Twinkies.:winking0011:

Mediation Failed (http://www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2012/11/20/mediation-between-hostess-union-fails/)

ladycat92
11-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Or even better, Kroger could buy them and have them made right here in BG at the Country Oven Bakery.

My father retired from Country Oven. They used to let the employees scrape the barrels of cookie dough and bring it home. My dad would bring home pounds of it and Mom would roll it out and cut it up. We had cookies for years. Then they switched to giving the employees so many cases of frozen cookies plus you could buy more at a discount.

At one time they made the breadsticks for Pizza Hut and something else for another major chain. Wonder what all they make today.