PDA

View Full Version : Are SD cards just going away?

Darrell KSR
05-27-2016, 01:04 PM
It seems it is extremely easy to find micro SD cards (with adapters) all over the place. Tons of sales on them, too. But not so much for the "regular" SD cards.

I have cameras and camcorders that use SD cards, and I'm just not as comfortable using micro, with an adapter, as I am plain old regular SD cards. Am I just a dinosaur?

PedroDaGr8
05-27-2016, 04:41 PM
It seems it is extremely easy to find micro SD cards (with adapters) all over the place. Tons of sales on them, too. But not so much for the "regular" SD cards.

I have cameras and camcorders that use SD cards, and I'm just not as comfortable using micro, with an adapter, as I am plain old regular SD cards. Am I just a dinosaur?

They pretty much already are; with exception of some of the higher speed cards, internally even many of the "regular" SD cards still contain the same structure as the micro-SD card with an adapter. The fact you don't see the full-size SD cards anymore is the market is almost entirely dominated by micro-SD cards. Full size are just a very limited niche now and a niche that is dwindling even more and more. When you consider they make 200gb (soon to be 250gb) micro-sd cards that can transfer at almost 100MB/s, the need for the larger sized cards is almost none. The memory ICs inside are still the same, electrically they are more or less the same, just one has a WHOLE bunch of what amounts to essentially needless packaging around it.

Darrell KSR
05-27-2016, 05:28 PM
I just hate it because of devices that require a full size. So there is a need, even with brand new devices being sold today. Sure, you can get an adapter to make it work, but that always smacks of a quick fix to me, rather than a permanent solution. Just one more thing that can go wrong.

I like the micro size - great if that's the exact size the device uses - but disappointing if it requires a different size.

I'll sit here among the dinosaurs and be unhappy...

CitizenBBN
05-27-2016, 07:45 PM
Get those kids off your yard too! ;)

I get your point D, I don't trust adapters b/c they have one more point of failure to me, one more connector to go bad, but I also get why they will all be Micro SD.

The cool thing is they now fit 100s of gigs on something the size of your fingernail. Unreal. IN the 80s we paid $6,000 for an 80 MB drive and thought we were the kings of the world.

dan_bgblue
05-27-2016, 08:48 PM
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sd+cards

Just buy a few while you can like I did 2 months ago. ;-)

Darrell KSR
05-28-2016, 12:04 AM
I get your point D, I don't trust adapters b/c they have one more point of failure to me, one more connector to go bad... .

Yup. I'd be happy if my devices accepted the micro size instead. Just hate having to use an adapter to make something else work.

Darrell KSR
05-28-2016, 12:06 AM
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sd+cards

Just buy a few while you can like I did 2 months ago. ;-)
Great idea. I may find one(s) that fit my needs for HD video, 60 fps, etc. and post here to get opinions, and then buy a dozen or so.

Darrell KSR
06-08-2016, 08:02 AM
So... Here is what I have. What do I need?

I want to video "regular" HD video. Won't often need more than 3 hour maximum recording time, but I can see occasions when I might need more than that (on vacation, several days in a row of a soccer tournament, etc.) so a mix of reliable SD cards would be best, I guess. Main thing, I suppose, is that it transfer quickly?

I don't have a clue what SDXC or whatever is either.

PedroDaGr8
06-08-2016, 03:58 PM
So... Here is what I have. What do I need?

I want to video "regular" HD video. Won't often need more than 3 hour maximum recording time, but I can see occasions when I might need more than that (on vacation, several days in a row of a soccer tournament, etc.) so a mix of reliable SD cards would be best, I guess. Main thing, I suppose, is that it transfer quickly?

I don't have a clue what SDXC or whatever is either.

Looks like almost any card that has a write speed greater than 10MBps (aka 80Mbps) will do you just fine. This would be 95% of the cards available today. The biggest thing you need is the write speed and the capacity of the card. Reading isn't that big of a deal because most people transfer the video before watching it. That being said, most of the time you see the read speed quoted because it is the higher number. You need to dig for the write speed.

Darrell KSR
06-08-2016, 08:38 PM
Thanks, Pedro.

dan_bgblue
06-09-2016, 04:57 PM
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/buying-guide/fastest-memory-cards-money-can-buy

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/fastest-sd-cards

Darrell KSR
06-15-2016, 11:10 AM
Thanks, Dan--those links are helpful as well.