PDA

View Full Version : Label printers...just looking around....

Darrell KSR
05-26-2016, 11:57 PM
I don't know that I "need" this, but I'm looking at a particular issue. Here's what I want.

a) Something portable that will print WIDE, 6 line labels--like you might find on an envelope or package. So that eliminates these hand-held "Dymo" type label printers.

b) Something that would print with a smartphone.

I saw a bluetooth battery-operated label printer that might work (Epson??); can't remember, but can find it. I'm not sure if it was wide enough.

I own an older Brother label printer that connects to a computer with a USB cord. It's this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-P-Touch-QL-500-Manual-Cut-Printing/dp/B0002T470S

I like that one fine, and it "might" work, but it's not bluetooth. Can I somehow connect that to my phone?

Any other suggestions?

My requirements? Easy and cheap. If it's not easy, I'm not interested. I want to be able to zip out a mailing label, or a label for a file folder, or a box, on a moment's notice, without having to resort to going to a computer to do it. And if it's not cheap, I'm also not interested. It's a mini-luxury, not a need, but something that would be kind of "handy."

Let me know if you have run across anything like that before, or if you use something like that in your work.

KeithKSR
05-27-2016, 02:38 PM
This one works using AirPrint, should be something similar for Android.

http://www.brother-usa.com/Ptouch/ModelDetail/23/QL710W/Overview

Darrell KSR
05-27-2016, 03:44 PM
Thanks, that does look great. I see it has android apps, too (what I have).

PedroDaGr8
05-27-2016, 05:31 PM
I have to say, if I was buying a label printer then I would go with Brother without a doubt. We used the $500 versions at my old job and those things were tanks. Printing hundreds of labels a day without a single jam or mistake. I can't say that about the other label printer we had (we eventually replaced it for a Brother). The software was only OK at best, not very intuitive but functional, the important thing though was reliability. The labels that it printed stuck, they didn't fade in cold weather and they printed very clear. The tape wasn't cheap but for us it was STILL worth it.

CitizenBBN
05-27-2016, 07:35 PM
I have used TSC printers for many years, sold them when I sold auction software (they print bid numbers in our world) and I use them now in the gallery. They're commercial grade and work great, but I haven't looked at their newer models at all. In fact I had to track one down a couple of years ago and bought exactly the same one b/c I know they work. They may have bluetooth type ones now. I just wanted to mention the brand.

Like the Brothers and about all of these devices the software is fairly primitive. I just used the driver and wrote my own software. You can inject the commands just like in PCL (the HP printer language) so I can tell it what to do and how as part of the print file. Huge plus for business programming, but doesn't help you much probably.

dan_bgblue
05-27-2016, 08:51 PM
I imagine Darrell is like me. He needs the software to tell him what to do, not the other way around

Darrell KSR
05-27-2016, 11:55 PM
I imagine Darrell is like me. He needs the software to tell him what to do, not the other way around
Absolutely.