PDA

View Full Version : Good another union shuts down more jobs

cattails
11-16-2012, 09:22 AM
They just don't get it

http://home.myhughesnet.com/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CDA2J3OR00%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=931

IRVING, Texas (AP) — Hostess, the maker of Twinkies and Wonder Bread, is going out of business, closing plants, laying off its 18,500 workers and putting its brands up for sale.

The Irving, Texas, company said a nationwide worker strike crippled its ability to make and deliver its products. Its brands also include Ding Dongs, Ho Ho's and Dolly Madison.

Hostess had warned employees that it would file a motion in U.S. Bankruptcy Court to unwind its business and sell assets if plant operations didn't return to normal levels by Thursday evening. The privately held company filed for Chapter 11 protection in January, its second trip through bankruptcy court in less than a decade.

"Many people have worked incredibly long and hard to keep this from happening, but now Hostess Brands has no other alternative than to begin the process of winding down and preparing for the sale of our iconic brands," CEO Gregory F. Rayburn said in a letter to employees posted on the company website.

He added that all employees will eventually lose their jobs, "some sooner than others."

Thousands of members of the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union went on strike last week after rejecting in September a contract offer that cut wages and benefits. Hostess had already reached a contract agreement with its largest union, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters.

Hostess has said that production at about a dozen of the company's 33 plants has been seriously affected by the strike. Three plants were closed earlier this week.

The company, founded in 1930, was fighting battles beyond labor costs. Competition is increasing in the snack space and Americans are increasingly conscious about healthy eating. Hostess also makes Dolly Madison, Drake's and Nature's Pride snacks.

More Obamacare results. Hell it's coming boys get ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go find another job dumb ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck.

dan_bgblue
11-16-2012, 11:16 AM
I'm gonna miss my Twinkies, and this will put some food vendors at the Texas State Fair out of business as well. Gonna be a lot of Texans mourning the fact there will be no more fried Twinkies at the Fair.

CitizenBBN
11-16-2012, 11:35 AM
Wonder how those reduced benefits look compared to unemployment.

Sounds like most of them got it and tried to make the company work, but there were too many who thought that trough was bottomless.

Doc
11-16-2012, 11:52 AM
Wonder how those reduced benefits look compared to unemployment.

Sounds like most of them got it and tried to make the company work, but there were too many who thought that trough was bottomless.

Not as bad as one would think. Just means we need to take more from the haves to give to the have nots.

CitizenBBN
11-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Not as bad as one would think. Just means we need to take more from the haves to give to the have nots.

As I typed that I thought about their unemployment benefits Hostess paid for, their expanded food stamps we'll pay for, the free cell phones they can probably get to call each other and complain about the nasty capitalists who took away their jobs.

Clearly things aren't all that bad when people voluntarily quit jobs en masse.

Catonahottinroof
11-16-2012, 08:46 PM
$48,000 to bake twinkies? No wonder Hostess is shuttering. How skilled do you have to be?

http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/16/news/companies/hostess-workers/

Doc
11-17-2012, 10:14 AM
My take-home would be less than unemployment benefits

And here lies the root of the problem. When its more attractive to be unemployed then it is to have a job, why work? Unfortunately most will see the problem being wages are too low when actually its the entitlement is too attractive but to cut the entitlement would be characterized as hating the poor.

CitizenBBN
11-17-2012, 04:36 PM
"While they [Teamsters at Hostess] were not at all happy about the additional concessions, they did not want to lose their jobs," she said. "My husband and I feel that if these employees [Bakers] were so unhappy ... then they should have quit so the company could continue on and the remaining employees that want to work could."

That's my problem with it. Seems about half the workers wanted to take the offer and keep working there, the other half forced them into unemployment. How is the union protecting its members in this action?

dan_bgblue
11-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Workers not important. The Union stuck it to the Man

cattails
11-18-2012, 12:59 AM
"My take-home would be less than unemployment benefits "

And how will that work out when the Unemployment runs out?

cattails
11-18-2012, 01:03 AM
"While they [Teamsters at Hostess] were not at all happy about the additional concessions, they did not want to lose their jobs," she said. "My husband and I feel that if these employees [Bakers] were so unhappy ... then they should have quit so the company could continue on and the remaining employees that want to work could."

That's my problem with it. Seems about half the workers wanted to take the offer and keep working there, the other half forced them into unemployment. How is the union protecting its members in this action?

Do you really think the union gives a ****? Not directed at you.

jazyd
11-18-2012, 10:11 PM
They never care about he worker, the whole thing is to put money in the till so they can guy and build golf resorts and such and travel like a king. They hate companies, companies are not to make a profit, they are there only to give union workers a income worth more than their intelligence or education, get great benefits, way too much vacation time, pay into retirements, give breaks every hour, don't punish anyone caught drinking on lunch hour, and grovel to the union boss asking if there is anything more they can give up.

I basically hate unions.

Do you really think the union gives a ****? Not directed at you.

cattails
11-18-2012, 11:22 PM
They never care about he worker, the whole thing is to put money in the till so they can guy and build golf resorts and such and travel like a king. They hate companies, companies are not to make a profit, they are there only to give union workers a income worth more than their intelligence or education, get great benefits, way too much vacation time, pay into retirements, give breaks every hour, don't punish anyone caught drinking on lunch hour, and grovel to the union boss asking if there is anything more they can give up.

I basically hate unions.

Ditto :sAng_soapbox: