PDA

View Full Version : Truck troubles

suncat05
05-25-2016, 09:56 AM
I bought my pick-up truck brand new in 2002. Nissan. Aside from regular maintenance (tires, batteries, oil & filter changes), the only real repairs it has ever needed was having the A/C compressor replaced. Until yesterday..........
I was going to a church wedding after I got off work. As I am getting ready to merge into traffic, I hear this low, muffled "pop", and my truck just shut off. I tried to restart it, it rolls over but won't start. One of my friends has his own auto mechanic business, so this morning he arrived with his tow truck to haul it to his shop.
A 14 year old truck with a bunch of miles on it, and in all this time this is only the 2nd "major" thing that has gone awry. I guess it was about time.

I don't know exactly what is wrong just yet, but when I described what happened to him he said he thinks it might he the timing chain/belt. Wish me luck guys! I'm thinking my wallet is fixin' to get a little thinner here soon!

MickintheHam
05-25-2016, 03:14 PM
Forget your wallet. You may want to look to your life savings.

PedroDaGr8
05-25-2016, 03:25 PM
Hope it's not the timing chain. My car threw mine at Christmas. $3k repair bill (whole engine has to be replaced because Honda uses interference motors, so the piston heads slammed into the valves)

suncat05
05-25-2016, 03:28 PM
OUCH!

suncat05
05-25-2016, 03:33 PM
My buddy told me that the foreign vehicles, for the most part, are made to keep going, but when they break, they are truly broken. Broken as in being very expensive to repair.

dan_bgblue
05-25-2016, 04:38 PM
Most if not all Nissan truck engines are of the interference type as far as I know. Do you remember the engine displacement and is it over head cam?

BigBluePappy
05-25-2016, 05:58 PM
Pray that it is nothing that major.
I just got Old Lazarus (used to be Old Blue) back after a period of being without him.
You don't realize how much you miss them when they are not available.
Good to have my little Ranger (also a 2002 and also bought brand new) back amongst the running.

CitizenBBN
05-25-2016, 08:30 PM
So this is what it sounds like when I discuss networking protocols and database queries. :)

Darrell KSR
05-25-2016, 09:43 PM
So this is what it sounds like when I discuss networking protocols and database queries. :)
Not sure. I'm still waiting on somebody to explain both to me.

BigBluePappy
05-26-2016, 05:07 PM
Can't do anything about networking queries or database protocols but the inerference versus a non- interference explaination can be found here (http://freeasestudyguides.com/interference-engine.html).:winking0011:

KeithKSR
05-26-2016, 05:38 PM
Hope it's not the timing chain. My car threw mine at Christmas. $3k repair bill (whole engine has to be replaced because Honda uses interference motors, so the piston heads slammed into the valves)

Timing belt or chain was my first thought also.

Darrell KSR
05-26-2016, 05:40 PM
Can't do anything about networking queries or database protocols but the inerference versus a non- interference explaination can be found here (http://freeasestudyguides.com/interference-engine.html).:winking0011:
Interesting! That looks like it could be fun.

Darrell KSR
05-26-2016, 05:44 PM
I had my timing belt break three times on my old Volvo. My mechanic told me never to worry about it, that it had the kind that the car would just not go when it broke. Seemed like he charged me $300 to replace. Every repair was $300.

The Honda dealership said we had to be very careful with the Odyssey to replace it before it was a problem. It was $1000 for regular maintenance to replace. They said it would be like $3-4,000 if it broke.

The mechanic says the same for my SUV. It's at 91,000 miles and when I bring it in for its next oil change in about 1,000 miles I will have to have it changed too.

BigBluePappy
05-26-2016, 08:27 PM
Here is a fairly good list (http://www.agcoauto.com/content/List_Of_Interference_Engines) to see if your engine is an interference or non-interference.

Darrell KSR
05-26-2016, 08:45 PM
Van is interference, SUV is interference, Nissan (son) is interference, Hyundai (daughter) is interference. I am not 100% sure, but I think Suzuki SUV (oldest daughter) is interference, and Jeep (youngest daughter) is non-interference. Not 100% sure on the Suzuki Grand vitara (2012).

Volvo not on list, but googled it and it's non-interference.

Fun list to check. But wish I didn't have so many interference engines on it.

BigBluePappy
05-27-2016, 05:39 AM
Just seems there would be someway to get the power out of the engines without them being predestined to have themselves for lunch when a timing belt snaps...
That is why I am not a design engineer for the automotive industry; such heretical thinking will not be permitted...

PedroDaGr8
05-27-2016, 08:31 AM
Just seems there would be someway to get the power out of the engines without them being predestined to have themselves for lunch when a timing belt snaps...
That is why I am not a design engineer for the automotive industry; such heretical thinking will not be permitted...

Unfortunately, interference engines are here to stay, they offer too many benefits

Interference reasons exist for a couple of reasons:

valves must open INTO the piston chamber. When the gas ignites, the pressure forces the valves even more tightly closed. Valves that open externally, would be blasted open by the "explosion"
Higher compression ratios mean better fuel mileage and power.
The only way to get higher compression ratios is to have the piston travel further, that means an interference engine is a must.
The desire for higher fuel efficiency AND power, has resulted in interference engines becoming much more common

So the realities are what they are at this time. it would take significant rethinking of the design of the internal combustion engine to change these limitations. Even then, a new design would come with its own set of limitations which might or might not be even less ideal (ie Wankle Rotary engine).

Doc
05-28-2016, 03:31 PM
Timing belt or chain was my first thought also.

Mine as well

badrose
05-28-2016, 09:33 PM

"The other day I was working on a Findlay sprinkler head with a Langstrom 7″ gangly wrench." :)

suncat05
05-29-2016, 02:27 PM
"The other day I was working on a Findlay sprinkler head with a Langstrom 7″ gangly wrench." :)

:sHa_dielaughing:

CitizenBBN
05-29-2016, 04:41 PM

Were you wearing an arrow through your head at the time?

badrose
05-29-2016, 06:27 PM
Were you wearing an arrow through your head at the time?

I think I had that entire album in my head at one time. Funny stuff.

Darrell KSR
05-30-2016, 10:45 AM
What was the prognosis?

suncat05
06-01-2016, 12:07 PM
UPDATE: It was the timing belt. We have been having some phone issues, so the communication has not been sterling to this point because of that, but when we finally did get to talk I gave him a short list of other minor issues to look at as well. He'll get back with me probably by the end of the week and let me know what the grand total is going to be. Might as well get it all taken care of while he has it sitting in his garage.

Never, ever had a timing belt go kaput on me before. And on a Nissan, no less, where he had to take the water pump out to get to the timing belt because they're together. Boy, when I mess it up I do it right!

dan_bgblue
06-01-2016, 12:17 PM
Ah, wishing for the good old days when the timing chain was always on the front of the motor behind a cover that was behind the water pump. Replacing one in that configuration is a snap. Fast forward to the last few years and motors that have over head cam assemblies. On my 2006 Ford explorer V6 the motor has 2 timing chains that are coated in a hard plastic. They rarely last more than 100,000 miles of normal use. To replace them, the motor has to come out of the engine compartment and placed on a stand. Don't we all love progress?

suncat05
06-01-2016, 12:42 PM
Well, as I said previously, this is really the first "major" repair I've had to have done to the truck outside of the A/C compressor being replaced, so after about 183,000 or so miles I just cannot complain.
This is a good truck. Best vehicle I have ever owned. Every mile on the speedometer was put on either by my wife or me. And if, at some point I ever have need to buy another truck, I would not hesitate to buy another Nissan. I cannot complain.

PedroDaGr8
06-01-2016, 04:57 PM
UPDATE: It was the timing belt. We have been having some phone issues, so the communication has not been sterling to this point because of that, but when we finally did get to talk I gave him a short list of other minor issues to look at as well. He'll get back with me probably by the end of the week and let me know what the grand total is going to be. Might as well get it all taken care of while he has it sitting in his garage.

Never, ever had a timing belt go kaput on me before. And on a Nissan, no less, where he had to take the water pump out to get to the timing belt because they're together. Boy, when I mess it up I do it right!

Hope you are lucky and the engine doesn't need replacement. Sounds like your truck is EXACTLY like my Honda (down to the AC compressor being the only other major issue).

KeithKSR
06-01-2016, 09:00 PM
My old '99 F150 has timing chains, with 111k miles on it now they should last another 150K. Timing belts should be replaced about every 90K miles.

Dan, things sure aren't as easy to access as they once were. Things have changed a lot since I rebuilt an old Chevy 350 for my uncle at 15.

dan_bgblue
06-01-2016, 09:15 PM
You are not kidding sir. This is a google image of the engine bay and the 400 CI 375 hp engine. I could climb up into the bay, sit down on the fender well and work on the engine. Take the fan shroud off, pull the fan and water pump, remove the timing chain cover and replace the timing chain. Start to finish about a 3 hour job with shade tree mechanics tools.

Only downside to that beautiful machine was the 12 mpg. Upside was you could burn the tires off of it and never move the car and it would flat out fly. 140 mph was as fast as I ever got her when I shut it down, but the speed was still climbing at that point.;-)

http://www.classicautoair.com/images/cars/gm/grandprix/69grandprix/69grandprixengine.jpg

bigsky
06-01-2016, 09:56 PM
Was a timing gear before that in "the old daze".

So I come home and yard's half mowed. Wife has jumped the gun, put the battery in the riding mower, and cuts some grass. "Mower stopped", she says. "and when I opened the oil dipstick, a little smoke came out" she says. "I think the gas isnt getting thru the filter because I cant see any gas".

Filter is FULL of gas, I show her the BUBBLES in the gas filter. But, not only is there no oil showing on the dipstick, the dipstick isnt even greasy.

Everything's done once "a little smoke comes out"

suncat05
06-02-2016, 09:13 AM
Well bigsky, she was trying to help out. Got to give her bonus points for that much.

Like my ex-wife many years ago. Put my Colt Trooper MK III. 357 magnum in the dishwasher to "clean it" for me. Well, I think she did it with good intentions. At least that's what I kept telling myself.

Darrell KSR
06-02-2016, 06:35 PM
Well bigsky, she was trying to help out. Got to give her bonus points for that much.

Like my ex-wife many years ago. Put my Colt Trooper MK III. 357 magnum in the dishwasher to "clean it" for me. Well, I think she did it with good intentions. At least that's what I kept telling myself.
OMG. That. Is. Hysterical.

BigBluePappy
06-02-2016, 07:04 PM
OMG. That. Is. Hysterical.

Unless you are suncat...

dan_bgblue
06-02-2016, 09:32 PM
Unless you are suncat...

+10

CitizenBBN
06-02-2016, 10:25 PM
+10

+1000. That's grounds for divorce right there. I'd get bent if someone washed my wok wrong and messed up the patina, for washing a Colt there is some special plane of Hell.

PedroDaGr8
06-02-2016, 10:39 PM
It's like when I was growing up the neighbor kid washed his dads car with steel wool. He thought it was a sponge.

suncat05
06-03-2016, 06:58 AM
It's liek when I was growing up the neighbor kid washed his dads car with steel wool. He thought it was a sponge.

OMG! I bet Wow! that didn't end well for either Dad or the kid involved.

suncat05
06-03-2016, 07:03 AM
+1000. That's grounds for divorce right there. I'd get bent if someone washed my wok wrong and messed up the patina, for washing a Colt there is some special plane of Hell.

I'm not kiddng you now........it was all I could do to keep from choking the snot out of her.
And people wonder why we have so much domestic violence in this country? I don't.

suncat05
06-03-2016, 08:05 AM
It all came about because I had gone to the range the day before to qualify, and then worked my shift. When I got home I told her that I needed to clean my gun, but that I would just do it in the morning after I cut the grass. No big deal. I am usually very good about cleaning my weapons after I've fired them, but I am not fanatical about it. A few more hours is not going to make a big difference. Anyway, I cut the grass, came in, drank some water and went into the bedroom to get the gun. It wasn't in the holster, so I go into the kitchen and asked her if she knew where my gun was at.
With the most innocent and well intentioned look on her face, she informed me that she had a surprise for me. She opened the dishwasher and there it was, still hot and dripping wet. And still loaded, too. She didn't even think about unloading it. Told me that she wanted to help me out, so she thought it would be a good idea to put it in the dishwasher "to get it extra good and clean".
I just had to laugh. The look on her face told me that she had no idea that she had just messed up big time. She meant no harm, she just didn't know to not do that. And after I had calmed down and regained some mild amount of composure I told her not to worry about it, and that if I needed her to help out again that I would let her know.
Ahhhhh, the trials and tribulations of married life.

bigsky
06-03-2016, 08:41 AM
It's like when I was growing up the neighbor kid washed his dads car with steel wool. He thought it was a sponge. Years ago My wife didn't like the window stickers on the new windows of our newly remodeled but still a work-in-progress basement. So she tried to peel them off, but that didn't work (without WD-40 but she didn't know) so she got a scotch brite pad and scrubbed them off with soap and and water. And after they dried, well, every window was nicely etched. I am not allowed to mention that incident by wife or sons. Serious marital trauma.

suncat05
06-03-2016, 01:55 PM
UPDATE: My buddy texted me a few minutes ago, my truck is ready. And when he gave me the grand total I about fell over from shock. It's way LESS than I thought it was going to be. Yay!

dan_bgblue
06-03-2016, 02:04 PM
Good deal suncat. I'm very happy it worked out well for you

Darrell KSR
06-03-2016, 03:44 PM
UPDATE: My buddy texted me a few minutes ago, my truck is ready. And when he gave me the grand total I about fell over from shock. It's way LESS than I thought it was going to be. Yay!

Great--you must a) be lucky, and b) have a good buddy. Really, both were required for you not to have sticker shock from the incident!

Happy Friday!

suncat05
06-05-2016, 01:19 PM
UPDATE: there was one more pleasant surprise that came out of this whole deal. My cruise control has stopped working, so I told Steve to look into it. He came to the conclusion that it may be the command/power nodule, which if you know anything about that can be quite expensive. It was the only thing that he could not definitively tell me about. So after I left his house, I went over to Ft. Myers to a Nissan dealership over there to find out 100% for sure what was wrong, thinking that if that was the problem, he could just get a used unit from a junkyard and replace it with that. After waiting for about 3 hours, the problem was something so simple, and inexpensive, that I actually started laughing about it.
It was a rubber 'grommet' type button inside the steering wheel control switch. It cost $11 to fix. A small piece piece of rubber, but finally, my cruise control works again.